Hard times in America

Excess is in the mind of the beholder.

"He who dies with the most toys wins."
- old capitalist saying

When I retired and decided to RV fulltime there was no way we could take everything that we had in the house. I found three potatoe peelers. I have never used one in my life. I had three wrist watches and tons of other things that I had never used.

When I retired and decided to RV fulltime there was no way we could take everything that we had in the house. I found three potatoe peelers. I have never used one in my life. I had three wrist watches and tons of other things that I had never used.
My parents had one closet and one large dresser for the 2 of them, Wife alone commands three large and 2 small closets and two larger dressers. She buys most of her clothes. I have bought couple high end pieces for her and that's it. Unnerving and frustrating.

.....everyone complains if it's hot or cold out--yet we have heat and AC in our homes AND cars
....we got one toy if we were lucky, for Christmas...now these kids get mucho crap
..some of these parents said they spend mucho $$$$$ on Christmas gifts--then the Aunts and Uncles and grandparents would get a bunch of crap for the kids
....etc etc
spoiled is right

.....everyone complains if it's hot or cold out--yet we have heat and AC in our homes AND cars
....we got one toy if we were lucky, for Christmas...now these kids get mucho crap
..some of these parents said they spend mucho $$$$$ on Christmas gifts--then the Aunts and Uncles and grandparents would get a bunch of crap for the kids
....etc etc
spoiled is right

My family (and extended) stopped doing Christmas gift-giving back in the 90's.

....etc etc
spoiled is right

our family stopped it, but everyone still gets the kids some stuff

....etc etc
spoiled is right

Yeah, kids are a different story, but we limited it.

....etc etc
spoiled is right

Yeah, kids are a different story, but we limited it.
BK I'd send you coal if I knew where to send it

I've moved around the world..Canada, Australia and back to Europe...really helps you see the silliness of keeping tons of stuff...today, I am of the opinion that small and ready to run is the best method...lot's of charity shops have been quite happy over our contributions over the past years

Forum List

Back