Hard Drive Help!

Said1

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2004
Somewhere in Ontario
I'm having a MAJOR problem with my hard drive. Sometimes it reads the primary master, and sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't, I have to reset it in the set up menu, and then it works fine. When it won't recognize it, I have not done anything that would cause this change to happen, it seems to reset itself when I turn it off.

I am in no way computer literate, so that is as much as I can tell you. My questions to anyone are: Why is it doing this, could this pose serious problems if not repaired, and how can I repair it (if thats even possible).

DKSuddeth said:
hey said, need a couple of specifics. what operating system is it and are they serial ATA or ultra DMA's?

I'm using windows xp pro. You have to tell me how to get the other info, it's sounds familiar, but I can't say for sure what it is. I'm afraid to go back into set up mode, weird things have been happening. :dev2:

You may have a computer battery going dead, kosing a CMOS setting or your timing settings are off. Also you can run hwinfo32.exe for identification
Hope you getit!

getitqwik said:
You may have a computer battery going dead, kosing a CMOS setting or your timing settings are off. Also you can run hwinfo32.exe for identification
Hope you getit!

Eee gads....a battery?? I thought plugging it in was all it needed. Where is the info.exe thing you mentioned? On start up, it did mention an hard ware error was found, but didn't identify it.

Sorry, you are way out of my leaque using WINDOWS XP PRO, If you hit the windows key and r at the same time you get run and then you can type in command but I don't remember if hwinfo32.exe is an XP item or not. At any rate you can look under accessories and system tools for information on your machine.

DKSuddeth said:
CMOS battery is a strong possibility. Is it a brand name computer? how old is it?

THe computer is about 3yrs old. It's not a brand name, someone built it, and I really don't about the specifics. I really can't bring it in right now, I'm in the middle of working on a paper - which causes seriious worry, since I don't know if this will cause any serious damage.

well, if you were in the dallas/ft worth area I'd say let me look at it. About the only other thing I could think of that would work would be to format the master boot record, but don't do that yourself, have a tech do it.

DKSuddeth said:
well, if you were in the dallas/ft worth area I'd say let me look at it. About the only other thing I could think of that would work would be to format the master boot record, but don't do that yourself, have a tech do it.

You're probably right since that is the error message I keep getting "disk boot error, please insert system disk" Grrrr, looks like I'm off to PC World AGAIN! :blowup:

Said1 said:
You're probably right since that is the error message I keep getting "disk boot error, please insert system disk" Grrrr, looks like I'm off to PC World AGAIN! :blowup:

25.gif

Is there a floppy disk in the drive?

Hobbit said:
25.gif

Is there a floppy disk in the drive?

No there isn't. I think DK's advise is probably fairly close given the error messages I've been getting. I just don't want to pay a tech to do it if I can avoid it. Plus I'm pretty lazy, and i don't want to go to the university library to finsh researching/writing my paper. :p: Love that emoticon btw.

I would have to say it is the battery. Its an easy job. Open up cpu and look for a watch like battery. Bring it into PCWorld and buy a new one. Slip the new battery in and go.

Jackass said:
I would have to say it is the battery. Its an easy job. Open up cpu and look for a watch like battery. Bring it into PCWorld and buy a new one. Slip the new battery in and go.

I don't know if this is worth mentioning, but the tower is brand new, and the guts are about 3 yrs old. Also, where is the cpu? Regardless of what I'm doing, the computer freezes about on average of once and hour. WHen turned back on, the above mentioned problems need to be reset. I guess that's everything that's happening with it. I still can't get over the whole battery thing, I never in a million years would have thought there was a battery in a computer that wasn't protable. Oh well, live and learn.

The cpu is the tower. Just open it up and you should find the battery relatively easy.

This wont fix your freezing problem though.

Jackass said:
The cpu is the tower. Just open it up and you should find the battery relatively easy.

This wont fix your freezing problem though.

The CPU is the tower hahaha - doh! What does the battery operate? I could replace the battery, then bring it in to address other problems, that may save some money grrr.

the battery looks about the size of a nickel. It operates what we call the 'CMOS'. it maintains an internal clock and basic settings for your motherboard so that it can boot properly.

DKSuddeth said:
the battery looks about the size of a nickel. It operates what we call the 'CMOS'. it maintains an internal clock and basic settings for your motherboard so that it can boot properly.

WOuld that cause freezing if it needed to be replaced? Either way, when I shut it off manually, I still have to reset everything in set up mode.

I doubt it would cause the freezing up part, thats most likely a video driver issue. Having to reset all the setup options is most likely the direct result of either a low battery OR a bad bios file itself. Replacing the battery is an easy thing. $5 for the battery (or less) and a half hour of time. If its a bios issue, you're going to want to deal with the tech. Do not try to update a bios yourself if you're in any way not computer savvy.

DKSuddeth said:
I doubt it would cause the freezing up part, thats most likely a video driver issue. Having to reset all the setup options is most likely the direct result of either a low battery OR a bad bios file itself. Replacing the battery is an easy thing. $5 for the battery (or less) and a half hour of time. If its a bios issue, you're going to want to deal with the tech. Do not try to update a bios yourself if you're in any way not computer savvy.

I need to take a course! My savvy ends after reset. Thanks a bunch for your and everyone elses help! I think I better get my baby to the doctor before it's too late :baby: Windows is running in safe mode now, which is different, but I kinda like it. Is there a huge difference between safe mode and the way it was running normally? Yes, yes, more questions!

Forum List

Back