Hard Drive Help!

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Said1, Aug 8, 2004.

1. Said1

Said1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +937
    I'm having a MAJOR problem with my hard drive. Sometimes it reads the primary master, and sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't, I have to reset it in the set up menu, and then it works fine. When it won't recognize it, I have not done anything that would cause this change to happen, it seems to reset itself when I turn it off.

I am in no way computer literate, so that is as much as I can tell you. My questions to anyone are: Why is it doing this, could this pose serious problems if not repaired, and how can I repair it (if thats even possible).

2. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    hey said, need a couple of specifics. what operating system is it and are they serial ATA or ultra DMA's?

3. Said1

Said1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +937
    I'm using windows xp pro. You have to tell me how to get the other info, it's sounds familiar, but I can't say for sure what it is. I'm afraid to go back into set up mode, weird things have been happening. :dev2:

4. getitqwik

getitqwik Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    You may have a computer battery going dead, kosing a CMOS setting or your timing settings are off. Also you can run hwinfo32.exe for identification
    Hope you getit!

5. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    CMOS battery is a strong possibility. Is it a brand name computer? how old is it?

6. Said1

Said1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +937
    Eee gads....a battery?? I thought plugging it in was all it needed. Where is the info.exe thing you mentioned? On start up, it did mention an hard ware error was found, but didn't identify it.

7. getitqwik

getitqwik Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, you are way out of my leaque using WINDOWS XP PRO, If you hit the windows key and r at the same time you get run and then you can type in command but I don't remember if hwinfo32.exe is an XP item or not. At any rate you can look under accessories and system tools for information on your machine.

8. Said1

Said1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +937
    THe computer is about 3yrs old. It's not a brand name, someone built it, and I really don't about the specifics. I really can't bring it in right now, I'm in the middle of working on a paper - which causes seriious worry, since I don't know if this will cause any serious damage.

9. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    well, if you were in the dallas/ft worth area I'd say let me look at it. About the only other thing I could think of that would work would be to format the master boot record, but don't do that yourself, have a tech do it.

10. Said1

Said1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +937
    You're probably right since that is the error message I keep getting "disk boot error, please insert system disk" Grrrr, looks like I'm off to PC World AGAIN! :blowup: