happy summer solstice, the days will get shorter now

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
chicken farm
happy solstice, the longest day of the summer.....and now shorter days are ahead....

summer_solstice.jpg

Here goes my list:

The Summer Solstice occurred at 1:46 AM/EDT on this date

The term Solstice appears to be from Latin words: The first part, “Sol” means the sun, the second part “-stice” from the Latin verb stistō (stitēre) means to cause to stand (still)

At the equator the Solstice is when the sun is at its lowest occurring twice a year.

On the summer solstice the sun rises furthest to the left on the horizon and sets furthest to the right

The June solstice hovers directly over the Tropic of Cancer, just about 1° South of Key West, Florida.

North of the Tropic of Cancer, between the equinoxes, daylight hours become longer up to the Arctic Circle where at latitude 66° 33′ 39″ the sun doesn’t set at all from June 8 until July 4.
South of the Tropic of Cancer the opposite would be the case until the equator is reached where all days are exactly 12 hours in length..

Day length, or length of day, or length of daytime, refers to the time each day from the moment the upper limb of the sun's disk appears above the horizon during sunrise to the moment when the upper limb disappears below the horizon during sunset.

During a few days around the equinoxes—about March 19-22 and September 21-24—both poles experience 24 hours of daytime, due mainly to atmospheric refraction.
At the poles there is only one sunrise and one sunset in the course of a year. This occurs around the time of the equinoxes.

Pagans called the Midsummer moon the "Honey Moon" for the mead made from fermented honey that was part of wedding ceremonies performed at the Summer Solstice.

Perhaps the most enduring modern tradition with ties with earliest observed Summer Solstice were the Druids' celebration of the day as the "wedding of Heaven and Earth", resulting in the present day belief of a "lucky" wedding in June.

In Ancient Rome the festival of Vestalia lasted from JUN-7 to JUN-15. It was held in honor of the Roman Goddess of the hearth, Vesta. Married women were able to enter the shrine of Vesta during the festival. At other times of the year, only the vestal virgins were permitted inside.

Here goes my list:

The term Solstice appears to be from Latin words: The first part, “Sol” means the sun, the second part “-stice” from the Latin verb stistō (stitēre) means to cause to stand (still)

At the equator the Solstice is when the sun is at its lowest occurring twice a year.

On the summer solstice the sun rises furthest to the left on the horizon and sets furthest to the right

The June solstice hovers directly over the Tropic of Cancer, just about 1° South of Key West, Florida.

North of the Tropic of Cancer, between the equinoxes, daylight hours become longer up to the Arctic Circle where at latitude 66° 33′ 39″ the sun doesn’t set at all from June 8 until July 4.
South of the Tropic of Cancer the opposite would be the case until the equator is reached where all days are exactly 12 hours in length..

Day length, or length of day, or length of daytime, refers to the time each day from the moment the upper limb of the sun's disk appears above the horizon during sunrise to the moment when the upper limb disappears below the horizon during sunset.

During a few days around the equinoxes—about March 19-22 and September 21-24—both poles experience 24 hours of daytime, due mainly to atmospheric refraction.
At the poles there is only one sunrise and one sunset in the course of a year. This occurs around the time of the equinoxes.

Pagans called the Midsummer moon the "Honey Moon" for the mead made from fermented honey that was part of wedding ceremonies performed at the Summer Solstice.

Perhaps the most enduring modern tradition with ties with earliest observed Summer Solstice were the Druids' celebration of the day as the "wedding of Heaven and Earth", resulting in the present day belief of a "lucky" wedding in June.

In Ancient Rome the festival of Vestalia lasted from JUN-7 to JUN-15. It was held in honor of the Roman Goddess of the hearth, Vesta. Married women were able to enter the shrine of Vesta during the festival. At other times of the year, only the vestal virgins were permitted inside.

ok ok ok ...so what does this all mean if you live in Maine mustang?

Are my days really gonna get shorter from here on out or do I experience some longer days cuz of being so far north?

Please say it is the latter....cuz the thought of the days beginning to get shorter is a real bummer! Summer has just gotten here on the calendar and Spring is still here in person...67 right now and in the 50's at night....

by December 21 the sun sets at 4pm, it's pretty dreary, EXCEPT from that point on the Days get longer! :)

care

Sunrise 4:50 am

Sunset 8:24 pm

I'll look tomorrow to see if the day is longer or shorter here! :)

Are my days really gonna get shorter from here on out or do I experience some longer days cuz of being so far north?

Please say it is the latter....cuz the thought of the days beginning to get shorter is a real bummer! Summer has just gotten here on the calendar and Spring is still here in person...67 right now and in the 50's at night....

by December 21 the sun sets at 4pm, it's pretty dreary, EXCEPT from that point on the Days get longer! :)

care

Sorry Care, I'm sure you already know that from here on out during this year up until the Winter Solstice days will be getting shorter. But take heart, your days will still be longer than places farther South...up until the Autumn equinox, when all days and nights will be equal throughout the Northern hemisphere.

Sadly for you, after then your days will become shorter more quickly than places farther South, but less quickly than places farther North. The differences accelerate as we get closer to the Winter Solstice, when the angle of the sun is most oblique and changes are happening much more quickly at the Arctic Circle for instance than at the average middle lattitudes which Portland, Me. is a little below.

On Dec. 21 in your Portland the daylight hours will be 8-hrs, 40-mins in length, and at my Indianapolis (3.9 degrees lattitude farther south) my daylight will be 9-hrs, 10-mins long; your day only having 30 minutes less daylight.

But surely you have grown to love it where you are.

Here's a neat WEBSITE with sun/moon-rise calculated for anyplace on the planet to play with.

Last edited:
Here goes my list:

care

But wait a minute - you should be experiencing abnormally long and hot summers due to all of the global warming going on, right?

care[/QUOTE]

Your days will still be exactly 24 hours. :lol:

well, strange, this link strolling gave yesterday, said that my daylight would be 3 seconds less, but weather.com just added one minute to my DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sunrise:4:50 am
Sunset:8:25 pm

YEAH!

so today is LONGER than yesterday for me???????????????????

Care

well, strange, this link strolling gave yesterday, said that my daylight would be 3 seconds less, but weather.com just added one minute to my DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YEAH!

Care
Within a day or two of the Solstice there should be "virtually" no change. Solstice from the Latin means that the sun is stuck briefly in place. there will be one minute of change on June 23, after which the changes will become gradually more radical. On the Naval Observatory link you can refine the results down to one minute intervals. These places like Weather.com are most likely doing some rounding.

YEAH!

Care
days are still getting longer for me! :)
Sunrise:4:49 am

Forum List

Back