Happy Martin Luther King Jr day

When all he was demanding was voters rights for Blacks he was allowed to live.

But the moment he put it together that voting rights wasn't the whole solution, but that ECONOMIC RIGHTS were?

He was murdered.

As was, incidently when HE ALSO came to that conclusion?

Malcom X

Is MLK the most important American? He's the only one that enjoys a national holiday by name.

:eusa_eh:

I don't think he's 'the most important American'. I think he deserves a day for what he did. He was, in my opinion, one of the most exceptional Americans in history. The way I see it, MLK Day is a reminder about civil rights... and, of course, that we haven't yet lived up to the standard set by King.

Is MLK the most important American? He's the only one that enjoys a national holiday by name.

:eusa_eh:

I don't think he's 'the most important American'. I think he deserves a day for what he did. He was, in my opinion, one of the most exceptional Americans in history. The way I see it, MLK Day is a reminder about civil rights... and, of course, that we haven't yet lived up to the standard set by King.

No one could have expressed what MLK day is better than you just did. Thank you.

MLK.jpg

I think this is a good read:

Young King inspired by time in Conn., work on farm - Yahoo! News

A couple of paragraphs:

NEW HAVEN, Conn. – Martin Luther King Jr. could hardly believe his eyes when he left the segregated South as a teenage college student to work on a tobacco farm in Connecticut.

"On our way here we saw some things I had never anticipated to see," he wrote his father in June 1944. "After we passed Washington there was no discrimination at all. The white people here are very nice. We go to any place we want to and sit any where we want to."

"After that summer in Connecticut, it was a bitter feeling going back to segregation," King wrote in his autobiography. "I could never adjust to the separate waiting rooms, separate eating places, separate rest rooms, partly because the separate was always unequal, and partly because the very idea of separation did something to my sense of dignity and self-respect."

Dignity and self-respect. Is that too much for anyone to ask?

A Tribute to Martin Luther King and the Slaves

On this day we honor Martin Luther for we all know his story and what it meant for America. His peaceful crusade meant equality for everyone. He opened the eyes of America and we loved that man for his bravery and peaceful ways.

On this day, we should also honor the slaves who endured such inhumanity we can barely imagine. It was those poor souls that were denigraded at every turn and yet when emancipated, most stayed to make a better life here rather than seeking a ship to take them back home.

They contributed to the great American fabric of hard working Americans to make a home still enduring insults and horrendous treatment at the hands of whites. They should be placed upon pedestals.

Instead of asking what does the government have to give to me, ALL Americans should look at our ancestors and how they endured hardships without the whining asking for more. The slaves would be a good lesson for us all. They took an incredibly bad situation and through their hard work and people like MLK, made life so much better for their future generations.

We can look at this and find that our times may get tough and working together we can do it too.

I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality... I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word.

~~Martin Luther King, Jr.

He was a great man who died for a cause he believed in.

His was, I think, a noble cause.

Not just for Blacks but for all of us.

When you diminish the rights of any citizen, you diminish the rights of ALL citizens.

When you advance the rights of any citizens you advance the rights of all citizens.

The above is exactly why exploitation of any US citizen (by any means, political or economic) is a thing to be abhored

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.
Martin Luther King, Jr.

I don't care who you are, you gotta love those words.

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.
Martin Luther King, Jr.

I don't care who you are, you gotta love those words.

I do but sadly we haven't gotten there yet.

I grew up in a small town that had very few black families. Dad was friends with everyone, and eventually paid the price for befriending the folks that were treated differently in public and in social circles. Some of his friends stopped... being friends, and generally snubbed him.

I was quite young when he died, so I remember only two "father-son" talks. One was a lecture on the evils of sneaking off to smoke cigarettes with my buddies up in the barn loft. Easy enough to understand.
"So", says dad, "if your friends jump off a building are you giong to follow them down?" I pictured myself plunging to certain death and figured maybe that's not worth the dare.

The other was a little blurry and I never figured it out until 40 years later when I heard a rebroadcast of King's famous speech.

Evidently I must have really hurt someone's feelings as dad was making me feel guilty about something I said to someone I didn't know. I just remember him telling me that the only way to know someone is by knowing their mind and knowing their heart. Now I understand that this is what defines a person's "character".

So 40 years after the fact my brothers and I are swapping stories from yesteryear, and the older guys are telling me how we caught holy hell from dad for taunting one of the local black kids for being... black.

The End.

:D

Forum List

Back