Happy Easter

Originally posted by JIHADTHIS
kinda off topic:

How do you reconcile the conversion of Native Americans a few hundred years ago to Christianity by force?

I find it despicable, especially since I believe the Native Americans were largely Christian, just in a different form, but the Catholics of the day were too blinded by religion and tradition to see that. Many Native American tribes, most notebly the Aztecs, had a legend that had been passed down for many, many generations about a man of strange appearance coming down from the sky and then preaching that there was but one God, and that if they serve him and ask for forgiveness, then one day, he would return for him. This strange man also taught nonviolence and love towards others, which is what is believed to have led to the less bloody battle types on the Native Americans that concentrated on taking prisoners instead of lives. I can't remember what they called this legend, but it was there.

As a person who is part Native American, I find it the European genocide of that portion of my heritage despicable. It was truly the darkest part of our history, and I am ashamed of it. Blacks will preach all day long about being screwed by the government, but ask a Native American about that someday...if you can find one.

Fortunately, many of us Christians have moved past that and into a philosophy of teaching and friendship, rather than rulership by the sword.

New Topics

Forum List

Back