Happy Diwali

Actually "bursting crackers" mean bursting firecrackers. Crackers in India are shaped like flares and you light them up and they burst with a shower of sparks of differet colours like fireworks. What Fuzzy Kitten said is also correct.
You also have hand held flareshaped crackers which you can swish like a wand after lighting em and they emit a shower of sparks. The best ones in India are the rockets which burst in mid air with different colours. Then you have the bomb type crackers which let out a huge burst on the ground with sparks. No wonder we aptly call them atom bombs.

Akshay

I see. Well, we don't set of fireworks at Christmastime here. At least I've never seen that tradition anywhere. I was at a loss. I was wondering if you were using some sort of translation software and were trying to say, "Break bread."...

I enjoy being Buddhist as we pretty much celebrate as we wish, Christmas is a cultural phenomena as well as a Christian holiday and we celebrate it as well...

Actually "bursting crackers" mean bursting firecrackers. Crackers in India are shaped like flares and you light them up and they burst with a shower of sparks of differet colours like fireworks. What Fuzzy Kitten said is also correct.
You also have hand held flareshaped crackers which you can swish like a wand after lighting em and they emit a shower of sparks. The best ones in India are the rockets which burst in mid air with different colours. Then you have the bomb type crackers which let out a huge burst on the ground with sparks. No wonder we aptly call them atom bombs.

Akshay

hey, i just learned something!

Come on Akshay, I want to know straight from the source what Diwali is all about. I could look it up, but I'm too busy (read lazy... :tng: ).

hey, i just learned something!

Come on Akshay, I want to know straight from the source what Diwali is all about. I could look it up, but I'm too busy (read lazy... :tng: ).

You will probably feel bored if I just copy a link and paste it here. The history of this festival is so bloody long that you could fly to London and all the way back and I doubt the story will end. Plus there are lots of names which are really difficlut to undrestand. So in the words of Jeffrey Archer "To Cut A Long Story Short "..

Ages back there was this noble crown prince called Ram. He , his wife SIta and his younger brother Lakshman got exiled by Ram's stepmom into the forest for 14 years. Then in the forest Sita gets kidnapped by a demon Ravan who has a crush on Sita and he abducts her. Ram goes all the way to Lanka (That's Ravan's capital city ) fights Ravan kicks his ass and gets Sita back. 14 years of exile get over and they head back to the kingdom in joy. They are welcomed back happily by the citizens and thus their homecoming was celebrated by a lot of glitter with thousands of firecrackers and lights hung in every home and sweets being distributed (Ram was loved by all his people and he was a god in disguise who had come as an incarnate to wipe out the evil on the earth (Yup..The evil was Ravan the demon). So Diwali is celebrated with great joy in india and is thus known as the "Festival of Light ". Then there is Dussera where people burn huge dummy models of Ravan the demon in India. I hope you understood it Fuzzy Kitten!

Cheers,
Akshay

You will probably feel bored if I just copy a link and paste it here. The history of this festival is so bloody long that you could fly to London and all the way back and I doubt the story will end. Plus there are lots of names which are really difficlut to undrestand. So in the words of Jeffrey Archer "To Cut A Long Story Short "..

Ages back there was this noble crown prince called Ram. He , his wife SIta and his younger brother Lakshman got exiled by Ram's stepmom into the forest for 14 years. Then in the forest Sita gets kidnapped by a demon Ravan who has a crush on Sita and he abducts her. Ram goes all the way to Lanka (That's Ravan's capital city ) fights Ravan kicks his ass and gets Sita back. 14 years of exile get over and they head back to the kingdom in joy. They are welcomed back happily by the citizens and thus their homecoming was celebrated by a lot of glitter with thousands of firecrackers and lights hung in every home and sweets being distributed (Ram was loved by all his people and he was a god in disguise who had come as an incarnate to wipe out the evil on the earth (Yup..The evil was Ravan the demon). So Diwali is celebrated with great joy in india and is thus known as the "Festival of Light ". Then there is Dussera where people burn huge dummy models of Ravan the demon in India. I hope you understood it Fuzzy Kitten!

Cheers,
Akshay

i understood fine. Pretty cool story! thanks! :)

Forum List

Back