Happy Constitution Day!!!!!

Which statements re the U.S. Constitution more closely reflect your opinion?

• The Constitution is a living document that should adjust to a changing society.

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • The Constitution only works as it was originally intended.

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • The Constitution should always be interpreted as the Founders intended.

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • The Constitution should always be understood as the Supreme Court interprets it.

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • The Constitution is necessary to insure the people's freedom to govern themselves.

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • The Constitution is a guideline for how the people should be governed.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other and I'll explain in my post.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters

Foxfyre

Eternal optimist
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 11, 2007
Desert Southwest USA
HAPPY CONSTITUTION DAY EVERYBODY!!!

On Sept. 17, 1787, 39 brave men signed the U.S. Constitution that was a great experiment. The government would secure the rights of the people and then the people would govern themselves. I wonder what those 39 men would think of us now? Have we implemented their vision?

And what of your own understanding of the Constitution? Please participate in the multiple choice straw poll and explain your choice.

Happy Constitution Day!!! I'm a strict interpreter of things, I'm far from being a rocket scientist but if a sign says "stop", I don't need someone telling me what "stop" means, if the Constitution lists the explicit powers of Congress, I don't need someone telling me differently.

I wonder what our founders would have said about Bush calling those bonds, held by our Social Security Trust, pieces of worthless paper.

The Constitution itself is a great idea, however, at the end of the day, it can be pretty useless. In various times of our history, Presidents have shred the Constitution to bits using just about the same reasoning, security over liberty. We all know at this point what Ben Franklin thought about that.

I agree with George Carlin when he says we don't have rights, we have temporary privileges. Rights are something that cannot be taken away, and just about all of those things in the Constitution have been taken away from citizens in this country at one point or another since it's inception.

As for the Founders themselves, I am tired of people putting them up to God-like status. Go look up John Adams and the Alien & Sedition Act. Tell me that's a man that cares about the Constitution.

I wonder how you came to be so hostile re the vision of the Founders, Modbert? I wonder how many of your generation think as you do?

I agree with this:

"I had a copy of the Soviet Constitution and I read it with great interest. And I saw all kinds of terms in there that sound just exactly like our own: "freedom of assembly" and "freedom of speech" and so forth. Of course, they don't allow them to have those things, but they're in there in the constitution. But I began to wonder about the other constitutions - everyone has one - and our own, and why so much emphasis on ours. And then I found out, and the answer was very simple - that's why you don't notice it at first. But it is so great that it tells the entire difference. All those other constitutions are documents that say, "We, the government, allow the people the following rights," and our Constitution says "We, the People, allow the government the following privileges and rights."

We give our permission to government to do the things that it does. And that's the whole story of the difference - why we're unique in the world and why no matter what our troubles may be, we're going to overcome."--Ronald Wilson Reagan

All those other constitutions are documents that say, "We, the government, allow the people the following rights," and our Constitution says "We, the People, allow the government the following privileges and rights."

And there in lies it's inherit GREATNESS and wisdom.

I wonder how you came to be so hostile re the vision of the Founders, Modbert? I wonder how many of your generation think as you do?

I agree with this:

"I had a copy of the Soviet Constitution and I read it with great interest. And I saw all kinds of terms in there that sound just exactly like our own: "freedom of assembly" and "freedom of speech" and so forth. Of course, they don't allow them to have those things, but they're in there in the constitution. But I began to wonder about the other constitutions - everyone has one - and our own, and why so much emphasis on ours. And then I found out, and the answer was very simple - that's why you don't notice it at first. But it is so great that it tells the entire difference. All those other constitutions are documents that say, "We, the government, allow the people the following rights," and our Constitution says "We, the People, allow the government the following privileges and rights."

We give our permission to government to do the things that it does. And that's the whole story of the difference - why we're unique in the world and why no matter what our troubles may be, we're going to overcome."--Ronald Wilson Reagan

Hostile? No. Realistic? Yes. You can wrap yourself up in the flag and pretend like the Constitution can truly protect you when you need it most, however history has shown for that to not be the case. Do I want it that way? No. However, reality supersedes whatever religious-like love you have for the founders.

Quote Reagan all you like, he was another man who didn't care for the rules that he was suppose to govern by. Or do you forget Iran-Contra? Never mind his ramping up the War on Drugs to such epic proportions that it is the grotesque monster it is today, throwing many citizens into jail that did nothing but have possession of something that the government said was wrong to have. But go ahead and drink/smoke cigarettes to death Mr. Johnny appleseed. The fact you would quote such a man while embracing the Constitution so strongly is amazing, but doublethink can be like that I suppose.

On Sept. 17, 1787, 39 brave men signed the U.S. Constitution that was a great experiment. The government would secure the rights of the people and then the people would govern themselves. I wonder what those 39 men would think of us now? Have we implemented their vision?

And what of your own understanding of the Constitution? Please participate in the multiple choice straw poll and explain your choice.

Excellent!

BTW, today is also the anniversary (1796) of Washington’s Farewell.

While not actually delivered, it wa published in the Philadelphia Independent Chronicle on the 26th. It was written to eliminate himself as a candidate for a third term, and warned, among other things, against permanent foreign alliances, big public debt, large military establishment and the devices of “small, artful, enterprising minority.”

Your poll answers do not cover it all.

You seem to think that it is either we never change it or it is open to being changed by mere interpretation alone.
The truth is we have a mechanism to change it, called the Amendment process. Which should allow it to change as society does. What people like me object to, is it's meaning and power being changed by liberal interpretation of it's words and not by the Amendment process.

The Constitution itself is a great idea, however, at the end of the day, it can be pretty useless. In various times of our history, Presidents have shred the Constitution to bits using just about the same reasoning, security over liberty. We all know at this point what Ben Franklin thought about that.

I agree with George Carlin when he says we don't have rights, we have temporary privileges. Rights are something that cannot be taken away, and just about all of those things in the Constitution have been taken away from citizens in this country at one point or another since it's inception.

As for the Founders themselves, I am tired of people putting them up to God-like status. Go look up John Adams and the Alien & Sedition Act. Tell me that's a man that cares about the Constitution.

I would whether agree with the framers of the Constitution than agree with a dead uneducated kicked out of the military comedian. So if george carlin said you had to live on beard and water because you do not have any right to anything else would you agree with that also?

I would whether agree with the framers of the Constitution than agree with a dead uneducated kicked out of the military comedian. So if george carlin said you had to live on beard and water because you do not have any right to anything else would you agree with that also?

See, here's where you screw up Hate-monger. I don't worship George Carlin, I simply agree with his assessment. I know how much you worship the Founders, however I don't.

It's ironic that you talk about your love of the Constitution so much considering how much you want to see implemented would shred the Constitution. Never mind your hate filled thoughts about wanting to see all Muslims, whether they be women or children or men destroyed.

You disgust me.

Hillsdale College had an excellent full day presention, online, 'Reviving the Constitution."

In fact it was re-presented today...

But they have made it into a DVD, $15, well worth the money and the time, at

http://bookstore.hillsdale.edu/MerchDetail.aspx?MerchID=526227

I sent several to friends, and it would be an excellent gift.

I agree with this:

Hostile? No. Realistic? Yes. You can wrap yourself up in the flag and pretend like the Constitution can truly protect you when you need it most, however history has shown for that to not be the case. Do I want it that way? No. However, reality supersedes whatever religious-like love you have for the founders.

Quote Reagan all you like, he was another man who didn't care for the rules that he was suppose to govern by. Or do you forget Iran-Contra? Never mind his ramping up the War on Drugs to such epic proportions that it is the grotesque monster it is today, throwing many citizens into jail that did nothing but have possession of something that the government said was wrong to have. But go ahead and drink/smoke cigarettes to death Mr. Johnny appleseed. The fact you would quote such a man while embracing the Constitution so strongly is amazing, but doublethink can be like that I suppose.

Well you see Modbert, I don't base my values and principles on the character or behavior of people, and I can can argue a value or principle without having to trash somebody. And I consider a correct statement or good idea to be a correct statement or a good idea no matter who puts it out there.

I suspect if you tried doing that just once in your life, you might find yourself thinking differently about some things and your views about what is realistic to not quite be what they are now.

So how did you answer the poll re the Constitution?

See, here's where you screw up Hate-monger. I don't worship George Carlin, I simply agree with his assessment. I know how much you worship the Founders, however I don't.

It's ironic that you talk about your love of the Constitution so much considering how much you want to see implemented would shred the Constitution. Never mind your hate filled thoughts about wanting to see all Muslims, whether they be women or children or men destroyed.

You disgust me.

Did I fucking say you worshiped him moron?
In your reply you said you agreed with George Carlin that we have no right's but temporary privileges

I then stated
"I would whether agree with the framers of the Constitution than agree with a dead uneducated kicked out of the military comedian. So if george carlin said you had to live on beard and water because you do not have any right to anything else would you agree with that also?"

Deflection will get you no where moonbat

Times change but that doesn't mean we should give up our freedoms or those things guaranteed by our Constitution.

Happy Constitution Day Folks.

Well you see Modbert, I don't base my values and principles on the character or behavior of people, and I can can argue a value or principle without having to trash somebody. And I consider a correct statement or good idea to be a correct statement or a good idea no matter who puts it out there.

I suspect if you tried doing that just once in your life, you might find yourself thinking differently about some things and your views about what is realistic to not quite be what they are now.

So how did you answer the poll re the Constitution?

Hypocrisy, thy name be Foxfyre. I'm sure you won't apologize for your attempt to trash me either while railing against my supposedly trashing others. I didn't know my simply repeating historical fact is trashing somebody.

I answered other. I'm not basing my values or principles on people either. I'm simply telling you reality, your choice to listen or not. At the end of the day, I doubt you'll really listen because you have your own reality that you're nice and comfortable in. It's understandable that you would not want to go beyond that.

Forum List

Back