Happy Boxing Day

barryqwalsh

Gold Member
Sep 30, 2014
Australia's most sought after shopping day is Boxing Day, with incredible sales that are worth waiting all year round for. Boxing Day is on 26 December each year, the day after Christmas Day. Boxing Day Sales have always been a popular pastime for Aussies looking for a great deal after Christmas.

I love Boxing Day. Well, I have no idea what it's like in Australia but I have spent Boxing Day in London.
crackers.jpg

It was the first time I ever came across crackers. I don't remember if there was any shopping going on. I don't think there was but I could have been oblivious to the whole thing.

Boxing Day is a holiday in many countries, such as Australia, in the Commonwealth of Nations. It was traditionally a day for employers in England to give bonuses of money, leftover food or old clothing to their employees, or for lords to give agricultural tools and seeds for the coming year to their tenants. These gifts were presented in a box. Some people believe that this is the reason that December 26 is known as Boxing Day. Others think that the origin of the name is related to the box into which parishioners put church donations. In some areas, this box was opened on Boxing Day and the contents were distributed to the poor people of the parish.

It's funny.....I always thought this had to do with pugilism.....

Most have no clue where the term came from though...

Fantastic!

Boxing Day Test: Brad Haddin takes incredible diving catch

An incredible diving catch by Australian wicketkeeper Brad Haddin has lit up day three of the Boxing Day Test at the MCG as Australia asserts its dominance on the match.

Boxing Day Test Brad Haddin takes incredible diving catch

I heard that Australians were messing with the food of Indian cricketers. Some Indian cricketers found beef int their food. So they had to skip lunch, dinner, etc. This gave team Australia unfair advantage. I guess some teams would do anything to win.

Forum List

Back