happy birthday to the greatest ever-number 4, bobby orr

del

Diamond Member
Sep 3, 2008
on a one way cul-de-sac
he turns 70 today.

as great as he was as a hockey player, and he was the best ever, he's an even better human being.

there's a million highlights, but this one is my favorite

he turns 70 today.

as great as he was as a hockey player, and he was the best ever, he's an even better human being.

there's a million highlights, but this one is my favorite

Interesting. That's odd...

• Banned
Despite playing only twelve seasons and 657 games (of which only his first nine seasons, totaling 621 games, were full seasons), and only playing 47 NHL games after his 27th birthday, Orr accomplished many records and achievements, a number of which still stand today, and are listed below.

As of the end of the 2014–15 season:

• First and only defenceman to score nine hat tricks
  • First defenceman to score 30 goals (1969–70)[49] and 40 goals (1974–75) in a season.
  • First player to record 100 assists in a season (1970–71)[53]
  • Only defenceman to win the Art Ross Trophy as league leader in scoring (1969–70, 1974–75)
  • Only player ever to win the Norris Trophy, Art Ross Trophy, Hart Trophy, and Conn Smythe Trophy in one season (1969–70)[49]
  • Highest single season plus-minus rating, +124 in 1970–71
    • Second all-time in career plus-minus rating (+597; retired as the overall leader)
    • Never finished a full season less than +30 since +/- became a statistic (beginning with the 1968–69 season)[152]
  • Fourth in league history in career point-per-game average, all-time, (1.393) (highest among defencemen, minimum 500 career points)[88]
  • Sixty-third overall in league history in career assists and 104th in career points

Despite playing only twelve seasons and 657 games (of which only his first nine seasons, totaling 621 games, were full seasons), and only playing 47 NHL games after his 27th birthday, Orr accomplished many records and achievements, a number of which still stand today, and are listed below.

As of the end of the 2014–15 season:

• First and only defenceman to score nine hat tricks
  • First defenceman to score 30 goals (1969–70)[49] and 40 goals (1974–75) in a season.
  • First player to record 100 assists in a season (1970–71)[53]
  • Only defenceman to win the Art Ross Trophy as league leader in scoring (1969–70, 1974–75)
  • Only player ever to win the Norris Trophy, Art Ross Trophy, Hart Trophy, and Conn Smythe Trophy in one season (1969–70)[49]
  • Highest single season plus-minus rating, +124 in 1970–71
    • Second all-time in career plus-minus rating (+597; retired as the overall leader)
    • Never finished a full season less than +30 since +/- became a statistic (beginning with the 1968–69 season)[152]
  • Fourth in league history in career point-per-game average, all-time, (1.393) (highest among defencemen, minimum 500 career points)[88]
  • Sixty-third overall in league history in career assists and 104th in career points

For once we agree on something.

• Thanks
Reactions: del
It's always been interesting to me that everyone who cares about hockey will basically agree on who the three best hockey players of all time were/are.

But the order of ranking those three will never fail to start fights.

Personally, my favorite player of all time was Bob Probert. Not the best player, sure - but my favorite.

He was also a fantastic human being, and a friend of mine.

It's always been interesting to me that everyone who cares about hockey will basically agree on who the three best hockey players of all time were/are.

Personally, my favorite player of all time was Bob Probert. Not the best player, sure - but my favorite.

Well, I think in sports terms, you have to compare by position. In terms of Defenseman, it's Orr hands down. Though you could also name Doug Harvey who was absolutely stellar in his time, playing strong as a traditional D but could also score. Orr changed the position, and he was on another planet with a career stolen from him. 8 Norris trophies says it all.

I upset people when I say the best forward in my opinion was Mario Lemieux. He was so effortless and though he didn't love the game like Gretzky and he didn't get to play those extra 6 years in the early 80s he was absolutely dominant, with three guys on his back. He came back from cancer to dominate again, absolutely unheard of. If there was a guy in his prime, in any era I would want on the ice to tie up the game it would be Mario.

Well, I think in sports terms, you have to compare by position. In terms of Defenseman, it's Orr hands down. Though you could also name Doug Harvey who was absolutely stellar in his time, playing strong as a traditional D but could also score. Orr changed the position, and he was on another planet with a career stolen from him. 8 Norris trophies says it all.

I upset people when I say the best forward in my opinion was Mario Lemieux. He was so effortless and though he didn't love the game like Gretzky and he didn't get to play those extra 6 years in the early 80s he was absolutely dominant, with three guys on his back. He came back from cancer to dominate again, absolutely unheard of. If there was a guy in his prime, in any era I would want on the ice to tie up the game it would be Mario.

Lemieux deserves a spot near the top.

When I said top three before, I was thinking Gretzky, Howe and Orr. But I'm ok with adding Lemieux into the unranked top four.

I've been thinking about trying to play hockey again. I played in high school and before, but haven't really even skated much in the last decade or so.

There's a rink near me that has an adult's pickup game once a week.

I've been thinking about trying to play hockey again. I played in high school and before, but haven't really even skated much in the last decade or so.

There's a rink near me that has an adult's pickup game once a week.

do it. it's a lot of fun, unless you've got some guy who thinks he would have made the big time except for fill-in-the-blank

they tend to be a pain in the ass, but they also tend to get sorted out pretty quickly

i liked him too. it's sad what addiction can do to a person.

it makes us someone we're not.

I lost touch with him in 2006 or so, but I heard he was doing good by the end.

He was a neighbor of mine, when I lived in Florida. I think he was there for rehab, it was right after he retired.

I lost touch with him in 2006 or so, but I heard he was doing good by the end.

i'm really glad to hear that.

i run into kevin stevens once in awhile, he's doing really well now.

so, anyway, go play!

Forum List

Back