Happy Birthday, Teddy

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
October 27
1. 1858 Theodore Roosevelt born, 26th President, 1901-1909, the only President ever born in NYC.

2. He carried on McKinley’s efforts to make the US a world power. He was the first American to win a Nobel Prize (mediating the Russo-Japanese War). As President, he announced the expansion of the concept of the Monroe Doctrine that became known as the Roosevelt Corollary: “…in the Western Hemisphere the adherence to the Monroe Doctrine may force the United States…to the exercise of an international police power.”

3. On July 1, 1898 he led the Rough Riders in a charge up San Juan Hill, making his political career.

4. As President, he forced the Congress to give the people a “Square Deal” by curbing the power of Wall Street barons: he used the Sherman Anti-Trust Act successfully against J.P.Morgan (3/14/1904).

5. Booker T. Washington joined President Theodore Roosevelt at the White House for dinner on 16 October 1901, causing great consternation in the South.

6. Roosevelt always regarded the building of the Panama Canal as his most important contribution as president (see Nov. 3)

7. “Teddy Roosevelt, in his “New Nationalism” speech” ... maintains that every man holds his property subject to the general right of the community to regulate its use to whatever degree the public welfare may require it.”
New Nationalism Speech by Theodore Roosevelt

8. . More from the same speech, 'The New Nationalism,' 1910: “We grudge no man a fortune in civil life if it is honorably obtained and well used. It is not even enough that it should have been gained without doing damage to the community. We should permit it to be gained only so long as the gaining represents benefit to the community.

9. . The rights which [an individual] possesses are...conferred upon him, not by his Creator, but rather by the society to which he belongs. What they are is to be determined by the legislative authority in view of the needs of that society. Social expediency, rather than natural right, is thus to determine the sphere of individual freedom of action.” The Claremont Institute - Leaving the Constitution

Still thinks Teddy belongs on the Rock?
How about this?

10.. Teddy Roosevelt gave a speech, “Who is a Progressive,” in 1912. This, from the speech: “…stand for the forward movement, the men who stand for the uplift and betterment of mankind,… We of to-day who stand for the Progressive movement here in the United States are not wedded to any particular kind of machinery, save solely as means to the end desired.”
Who is a Progressive? by Theodore Roosevelt

11. . And his view of the Constitution: ‘Well known is TR's outburst, when told the Constitution did not permit the confiscation of private property:

"To hell with the Constitution when the people want coal!"

Less well known is that at one point TR summoned General John M. Schofield, instructing him:
"I bid you pay no heed to any other authority, no heed to a writ from a judge, or anything else except my commands."’
33 Questions About American History You're Not Supposed to Ask. By Thomas E. Woods, Jr. (p. 139) see
The Mises Review: 33 Questions About American History You're Not Supposed to Ask by Thomas E. Woods, Jr.

He died January 6, 1919.

Last edited:
October 27
1. 1858 Theodore Roosevelt born, 26th President, 1901-1909, the only President ever born in NYC.

2. He carried on McKinley’s efforts to make the US a world power. He was the first American to win a Nobel Prize (mediating the Russo-Japanese War). As President, he announced the expansion of the concept of the Monroe Doctrine that became known as the Roosevelt Corollary: “…in the Western Hemisphere the adherence to the Monroe Doctrine may force the United States…to the exercise of an international police power.”

3. On July 1, 1898 he led the Rough Riders in a charge up San Juan Hill, making his political career.

4. As President, he forced the Congress to give the people a “Square Deal” by curbing the power of Wall Street barons: he used the Sherman Anti-Trust Act successfully against J.P.Morgan (3/14/1904).

5. Booker T. Washington joined President Theodore Roosevelt at the White House for dinner on 16 October 1901, causing great consternation in the South.

6. Roosevelt always regarded the building of the Panama Canal as his most important contribution as president (see Nov. 3)

7. “Teddy Roosevelt, in his “New Nationalism” speech” ... maintains that every man holds his property subject to the general right of the community to regulate its use to whatever degree the public welfare may require it.”

8. . More from the same speech, 'The New Nationalism,' 1910: “We grudge no man a fortune in civil life if it is honorably obtained and well used. It is not even enough that it should have been gained without doing damage to the community. We should permit it to be gained only so long as the gaining represents benefit to the community.

9. . The rights which [an individual] possesses are...conferred upon him, not by his Creator, but rather by the society to which he belongs. What they are is to be determined by the legislative authority in view of the needs of that society. Social expediency, rather than natural right, is thus to determine the sphere of individual freedom of action.” The Claremont Institute - Leaving the Constitution

How about this?

10.. Teddy Roosevelt gave a speech, “Who is a Progressive,” in 1912. This, from the speech: “…stand for the forward movement, the men who stand for the uplift and betterment of mankind,… We of to-day who stand for the Progressive movement here in the United States are not wedded to any particular kind of machinery, save solely as means to the end desired.”

11. . And his view of the Constitution: ‘Well known is TR's outburst, when told the Constitution did not permit the confiscation of private property:

Less well known is that at one point TR summoned General John M. Schofield, instructing him:
"I bid you pay no heed to any other authority, no heed to a writ from a judge, or anything else except my commands."’
33 Questions About American History You're Not Supposed to Ask. By Thomas E. Woods, Jr. (p. 139) see
The Mises Review: 33 Questions About American History You're Not Supposed to Ask by Thomas E. Woods, Jr.

He died January 6, 1919.

Was Teddy a liberal as was Lincoln?

October 27

How about this?

He died January 6, 1919.

Of course, reggie, you understand that obfuscation as the preferred endeavor of the Left.

To use the term "liberal" as though there is no difference between "Classical Liberal," and 'modern liberal,' i.e., Hillary Clinton,...

...requires more smoke and mirrors than a fire in a brothel.

Care to define the term?

October 27

How about this?

He died January 6, 1919.

Of course, reggie, you understand that obfuscation as the preferred endeavor of the Left.

To use the term "liberal" as though there is no difference between "Classical Liberal," and 'modern liberal,' i.e., Hillary Clinton,...

Care to define the term?

Chic? Is that really you? Or perhaps, am I really me?

Are you quoting my idea of T. Roosevelt and approving the parts of Lincoln I like? This is what you mean by 'classical liberal'?

Define it just a little more for me, because I think I may be close in thinking about American government and politics. It makes me wonder at earlier posts.

Liked the smoke and mirrors thing.

By the way, we are doubtless also in agreement that, in #11, 'want' means the sense of the word at his time; i. e., "penury", "lack".

Teddy shares a birthday with several astounding notables, Edith Haisman and my fav. being H R Haldeman, well almost my fav....;)

Care to define the term?

Are you quoting my idea of T. Roosevelt and approving the parts of Lincoln I like? This is what you mean by 'classical liberal'?

Define it just a little more for me, because I think I may be close in thinking about American government and politics. It makes me wonder at earlier posts.

By the way, we are doubtless also in agreement that, in #11, 'want' means the sense of the word at his time; i. e., "penury", "lack".

"Are you quoting my idea of T. Roosevelt..."

Perhaps you should articulate what that quote would be.

And perhaps I should reiterate Teddy's views:

a. "every man holds his property subject to the general right of the community to regulate its use to whatever degree the public welfare may require it.”

b. "We should permit it to be gained only so long as the gaining represents benefit to the community."

c. 'rights which [an individual] possesses are...conferred upon him, not by his Creator, but rather by the society... determined by the legislative authority... '

d. '...when told the Constitution did not permit the confiscation of private property:

"To hell with the Constitution..." '

e. " pay no heed to any other authority, no heed to a writ from a judge,..."

Pretty much the Progressive's attestation, eh?

Are you about to declare Teddy's views, your views?

Teddy shares a birthday with several astounding notables, Edith Haisman and my fav. being H R Haldeman, well almost my fav....;)

Well, Traj....on a related note, one of my very favorite explorers, adventurers, was also born on this day, in 1728.

Captain James Cook.

Known as “The Great Navigator,” because of the degree to which he extended knowledge of the world, with great skill at map making and documentation, he led three voyages of exploration of the South Pacific, discovered Australia and Hawaii, and the coastal waters of North America, as far as Vancouver.

He was killed by natives in Hawaii 2/14/1779.
His first ship was the Endeavour....followed by the Resolution.

Jefferson had read his works, and thus was able to give Lewis and Clark instructions as to where they might be headed.

As the prototype neoconservative and the singular reason we ended up with Woodrow Wilson, who in turn gave us the Federal Reserve, 16th Amendment and income tax, the 17th Amendment, WWI and it's model for American interventionism around the globe ever since, Teddy can suck a big fat chili dog.

Well, Traj....on a related note, one of my very favorite explorers, adventurers, was also born on this day, in 1728.

Captain James Cook.

Known as “The Great Navigator,” because of the degree to which he extended knowledge of the world, with great skill at map making and documentation, he led three voyages of exploration of the South Pacific, discovered Australia and Hawaii, and the coastal waters of North America, as far as Vancouver.

He was killed by natives in Hawaii 2/14/1779.
His first ship was the Endeavour....followed by the Resolution.

Jefferson had read his works, and thus was able to give Lewis and Clark instructions as to where they might be headed.

humm, I am more into Raymond of Toulouse...:lol:

Teddy Roosevelt had good qualities and questionable qualities as had every single elected leader from the Washington administration through the Obama administration. He did some commenable things as President. And some things not so commendable.

He also was the first President to turn the Constitution on its head by presuming he could do anything the Constitution did not expressly prohibit. (Every other President assumed that the government was restricted to only what the Constitution allowed.) Therefore, it was Roosevelt who actually formed the snowball of ever increasing government power and authoritarianism. And in that single concept, there was no way in hell he was a classical liberal.

That snowball has been rolling, sometimes faster, sometimes slower but overall picking up size and speed ever since until it has become the massive bloated, unsustainable nanny state that we have today.

So happy birthday, Mr. President. I wonder how proud you are of your legacy now?

Last edited:

Care to define the term?

I thought this was clear:
Teddy is the antithesis of the Classical Liberal.

As the prototype neoconservative and the singular reason we ended up with Woodrow Wilson, who in turn gave us the Federal Reserve, 16th Amendment and income tax, the 17th Amendment, WWI and it's model for American interventionism around the globe ever since, Teddy can suck a big fat chili dog.

Oh, yeah?????

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EE8kOv26BuQ]CHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGEEEEEEEEE - YouTube[/ame]

bully.jpg

Theodore Roosevelt on Immigrants and being an AMERICAN

"In the first place we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the man's becoming in very fact an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag, and this excludes the red flag, which symbolizes all wars against liberty and civilization, just as much as it excludes any foreign flag of a nation to which we are hostile...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."
-- Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Analysis: Theodore Roosevelt indeed wrote these words, but not in 1907 while he was still President of the United States. The passages were culled from a letter he wrote to the president of the American Defense Society on January 3, 1919, three days before Roosevelt died.

"In the first place we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the man's becoming in very fact an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag,

Tell that to these guys!

$Confederate_Flag_Flap_Barr2_t618.jpg

"In the first place we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the man's becoming in very fact an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag,

Tell that to these guys!

View attachment 22083

Isn't that Bill Clinton there waving that flag?

Forum List

Back