happy birthday, Muhammed Ali

"Why should they ask me to put on a uniform and go 10,000 miles from home and drop bombs and bullets on Brown people in Vietnam while so-called Negro people in Louisville are treated like dogs and denied simple human rights? No I’m not going 10,000 miles from home to help murder and burn another poor nation simply to continue the domination of white slave masters of the darker people the world over. This is the day when such evils must come to an end. I have been warned that to take such a stand would cost me millions of dollars. But I have said it once and I will say it again. The real enemy of my people is here. I will not disgrace my religion, my people or myself by becoming a tool to enslave those who are fighting for their own justice, freedom and equality. If I thought the war was going to bring freedom and equality to 22 million of my people they wouldn’t have to draft me, I’d join tomorrow. I have nothing to lose by standing up for my beliefs. So I’ll go to jail, so what? We’ve been in jail for 400 years."

Ali sacrificed three of his prime fighting years standing up for what he believed in.

"Why should they ask me to put on a uniform and go 10,000 miles from home and drop bombs and bullets on Brown people in Vietnam while so-called Negro people in Louisville are treated like dogs and denied simple human rights? No I’m not going 10,000 miles from home to help murder and burn another poor nation simply to continue the domination of white slave masters of the darker people the world over. This is the day when such evils must come to an end. I have been warned that to take such a stand would cost me millions of dollars. But I have said it once and I will say it again. The real enemy of my people is here. I will not disgrace my religion, my people or myself by becoming a tool to enslave those who are fighting for their own justice, freedom and equality. If I thought the war was going to bring freedom and equality to 22 million of my people they wouldn’t have to draft me, I’d join tomorrow. I have nothing to lose by standing up for my beliefs. So I’ll go to jail, so what? We’ve been in jail for 400 years."

Ali sacrificed three of his prime fighting years standing up for what he believed in.

yup, and he probably wouldn't have come close to nam if he'd gone in, which makes it even more impressive, imo.

muhammad-ali-the-greatest-poster.jpg

Classic!

I think losing those three years was the best thing for Ali's career as a fighter. He had already beaten every heavyweight and boxing from 67-70 would have been a parade of bums of the month

By 1970, a new crop of Heavyweights were coming up including Frazier, Norton and Forman. Ali saved himself from three years of wear and tear and was probably in better physical condition to fight the guys who made his career than if he had been fighting nonstop for 12 years

I think losing those three years was the best thing for Ali's career as a fighter. He had already beaten every heavyweight and boxing from 67-70 would have been a parade of bums of the month

By 1970, a new crop of Heavyweights were coming up including Frazier, Norton and Forman. Ali saved himself from three years of wear and tear and was probably in better physical condition to fight the guys who made his career than if he had been fighting nonstop for 12 years

That's a damn good point.

I never really looked at it that way before.

Nice.

Hot tip of the day. Do NOT walk in this room wearing a white sheet !!!
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asyQAAdbpDk&feature=related]Legendary "Dinner with the Champs" (Ali, Foreman, Frazier, Norton, Holmes) - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bofyAO4rvJU&feature=related]Muhammad Ali Stunned as 8 year old composes a song for him - Ethan Bortnick - Composes "The Champ" - YouTube[/ame]

Rest assured, Ali got a phone call from an old friend today.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJz_2N9F1fg&feature=related]George Foreman discusses his friendship with Muhammad Ali - YouTube[/ame]

This is the legend of Cassius Clay,
The most beautiful fighter in the world today.
He talks a great deal, and brags indeed-y,
Of a muscular punch that's incredibly speed-y.
The fistic world was dull and weary,
But with a champ like Liston, things had to be dreary.
Then someone with color and someone with dash,
Brought fight fans are runnin' with Cash.
This brash young boxer is something to see
and the heavyweight championship is his destiny.
This kid's got a left, this kid's got a right,
If he hit you once, you're asleep for the night.

Ali was the greatest fighter I ever saw. He beat Sonny Liston and George Forman whom boxing experts at the time feared for Alis life if he fought them. He fought outright wars with Joe Frazier and Kenny Norton and showed he was not just a pretty face but had courage and heart.

As a human being, I thought he was overrated. The guy was a first class prick and his treatment of Joe Frazier was racist and downright cruel

i bet Frazier thought that shit was ok when he got his Million dollar Checks for fighting the guy.....

Ali was the greatest fighter I ever saw. He beat Sonny Liston and George Forman whom boxing experts at the time feared for Alis life if he fought them. He fought outright wars with Joe Frazier and Kenny Norton and showed he was not just a pretty face but had courage and heart.

As a human being, I thought he was overrated. The guy was a first class prick and his treatment of Joe Frazier was racist and downright cruel

i bet Frazier thought that shit was ok when he got his Million dollar Checks for fighting the guy.....

I think that if Joe was given a choice he would have preferred the respect and admiration that comes with being heavyweight champ

He got none of it

I don't think that being called an Uncle Tom, an ape and stupid helped the gate all that much

I think that if Joe was given a choice he would have preferred the respect and admiration that comes with being heavyweight champ

He got none of it

I don't think that being called an Uncle Tom, an ape and stupid helped the gate all that much

"I always bring out the best in the men I fight, but Joe Frazier, I'll tell the world right now, brings out the best in me. I'm gonna tell ya, that's one helluva man, and God bless him."- ali, after the thrilla

He got none of it

gee that sounds like a black Democrat referring to a black Republican nowadays....Ali was ahead of his time .....

Forum List

Back