Happy Anniversary? I Don't Think So, Mitt

Zoom-boing

Platinum Member
Oct 30, 2008
East Japip
Why in the world would I ever vote for Mitt Romney? Oh that's right, I wouldn't.

On April 12, 2006, MA Gov. Mitt Romney signed Commonwealth Care into law. The universal health care initiative would become Gov. Romney’s signature policy achievement. Five years on, how is that achievement holding up?

Not very well, actually.

Commonwealth Care was supposed to do two things: Increase access to health care, and bring down the cost of health care. It has increased access if you define that as more people paying for health insurance, but costs have gone up dramatically, and wait times to see a medical professional have gone up as well. Cato Institute’s Michael Tanner took at a look at RomneyCare during the ObamaCare debate, and found that:

* Although the state has reduced the number of residents without health insurance, 200,000 people remain uninsured. Moreover, the increase in the number of insured is primarily due to the state’s generous subsidies, not the celebrated individual mandate.
* Health care costs continue to rise much faster than the national average. Since 2006, total state health care spending has increased by 28 percent. Insurance premiums have increased by 8–10 percent per year, nearly double the national average.
* New regulations and bureaucracy are limiting consumer choice and adding to health care costs.
* Program costs have skyrocketed. Despite tax increases, the program faces huge deficits. The state is considering caps on insurance premiums, cuts in reimbursements to providers, and even the possibility of a “global budget” on health care spending—with its attendant rationing.
* A shortage of providers, combined with increased demand, is increasing waiting times to see a physician.

That’s not much of an achievement. Worse still, RomneyCare provided the blueprint for much of what became ObamaCare, which is the most reviled of all of President Obama’s domestic policies among Republican voters — the very voters Romney needs to win the GOP primary. In particular, ObamaCare’s controversial individual mandate is a central feature of Commonwealth Care. President Obama even directly thanked Romney for passing RomneyCare and giving the Democrats some ideas to nationalize.

Mitt Romney brings some firepower to the 2012 fight. He can self-finance and has a talent for raising money. His political organization was probably the most professional on the GOP side in 2008. His record as a businessman and on the US Olympic committee showed that he can take on massive challenges and fix them. So far, though, he hasn’t figured out how to deal with RomneyCare, which was supposed to be his greatest policy victory but after five years has turned out to be his greatest political liability.

Video at link introducing Mitt's 'collaborator and friend'. I fruckin hate politicians.

The PJ Tatler » Commonwealth Care: An anniversary Mitt Romney probably hopes you forget

Let's not forget that Mitt is a Mormon. The base of the Gop would never allow a Mormon on the ticket for POTUS, so you can stop worrying about having to vote for or against him.

Good read Zoom.

I wonder if the folks in MA voted for this dog, much like legalizing gay marriage, or if the Gov and Legislature did this all on their little linesome??

Doesn't look like Romneycare is working very well. I'm sure Obamacare will mirror it to perfection.

Why in the world would I ever vote for Mitt Romney? Oh that's right, I wouldn't.

On April 12, 2006, MA Gov. Mitt Romney signed Commonwealth Care into law. The universal health care initiative would become Gov. Romney’s signature policy achievement. Five years on, how is that achievement holding up?

Not very well, actually.

Commonwealth Care was supposed to do two things: Increase access to health care, and bring down the cost of health care. It has increased access if you define that as more people paying for health insurance, but costs have gone up dramatically, and wait times to see a medical professional have gone up as well. Cato Institute’s Michael Tanner took at a look at RomneyCare during the ObamaCare debate, and found that:

* Although the state has reduced the number of residents without health insurance, 200,000 people remain uninsured. Moreover, the increase in the number of insured is primarily due to the state’s generous subsidies, not the celebrated individual mandate.
* Health care costs continue to rise much faster than the national average. Since 2006, total state health care spending has increased by 28 percent. Insurance premiums have increased by 8–10 percent per year, nearly double the national average.
* New regulations and bureaucracy are limiting consumer choice and adding to health care costs.
* Program costs have skyrocketed. Despite tax increases, the program faces huge deficits. The state is considering caps on insurance premiums, cuts in reimbursements to providers, and even the possibility of a “global budget” on health care spending—with its attendant rationing.
* A shortage of providers, combined with increased demand, is increasing waiting times to see a physician.

That’s not much of an achievement. Worse still, RomneyCare provided the blueprint for much of what became ObamaCare, which is the most reviled of all of President Obama’s domestic policies among Republican voters — the very voters Romney needs to win the GOP primary. In particular, ObamaCare’s controversial individual mandate is a central feature of Commonwealth Care. President Obama even directly thanked Romney for passing RomneyCare and giving the Democrats some ideas to nationalize.

Mitt Romney brings some firepower to the 2012 fight. He can self-finance and has a talent for raising money. His political organization was probably the most professional on the GOP side in 2008. His record as a businessman and on the US Olympic committee showed that he can take on massive challenges and fix them. So far, though, he hasn’t figured out how to deal with RomneyCare, which was supposed to be his greatest policy victory but after five years has turned out to be his greatest political liability.

Video at link introducing Mitt's 'collaborator and friend'. I fruckin hate politicians.

The PJ Tatler » Commonwealth Care: An anniversary Mitt Romney probably hopes you forget

Err wait you mean the same thing the left wants to perpetrate against the rest of the nation is failing miserably..... WOW umm I take it the left doesn't know that?

Let's not forget that Mitt is a Mormon. The base of the Gop would never allow a Mormon on the ticket for POTUS, so you can stop worrying about having to vote for or against him.

Why is it only leftists are concerned with Romney's religion. I have yet to hear any conservative make an issue out of it.
Why are leftists so prejudiced about someone's religion?

No, Romney is not a Republican outside of MA. Like Giuliani his candidacy will be a disaster of McCain proportions.

Why is it only leftists are concerned with Romney's religion. I have yet to hear any conservative make an issue out of it.

No, Romney is not a Republican outside of MA. Like Giuliani his candidacy will be a disaster of McCain proportions.

History is the proof. Romney was the best candidate the GOP had in 2008 to address the declining economy and impending recession due to his business experience. Instead, they put a war hero and Caribou Barbie on the ticket. YOU explain it...

History is the proof. Romney was the best candidate the GOP had in 2008 to address the declining economy and impending recession due to his business experience. Instead, they put a war hero and Caribou Barbie on the ticket. YOU explain it...

And you, a known ignorant partisan hack, are qualified to say who the best GOP candidate is because????
fwiw, McCain was the darling of the Left, the maverick who challenged GOP orthodoxy. Right up until he ran against THE ONE.
And the recession started after the primaries.

But why do you hate Mormons?

And you, a known ignorant partisan hack, are qualified to say who the best GOP candidate is because????
fwiw, McCain was the darling of the Left, the maverick who challenged GOP orthodoxy. Right up until he ran against THE ONE.

I don't. In fact, so far...I LOVE the field of GOP candidates, Mitt, The Donald and Caribou Barbie. You must be so proud...

Not very well, actually.

Why do Americans choose from just two people to run for president and 50 for Miss America ?

Not very well, actually.

Why do Americans choose from just two people to run for president and 50 for Miss America ?

Because they won't let us have a field of 50.
The chances are too good that a honest person would sneak in there.

OK Republicans...Time to line up

If Mitt Romney is so clearly unacceptable as the Republican nominee

Who is next in line?

Not very well, actually.

Because you would not want to see 50 Republicans and Democrats lined up in swimsuits

There are two Great Things about RomeneyCare:

- Even the liberals in MA hate it.
- The Obama Administration keeps using it as a justification for ObamaCare.

The more the Obamanoids associate the Truly Horrible RomenyCare with ObamaCare, more people will have a chance to grok the premonition of what a Epic Fail ObamaCare will be.

I don't. In fact, so far...I LOVE the field of GOP candidates, Mitt, The Donald and Caribou Barbie. You must be so proud...

And every one of them more qualified than Obama.

There are two Great Things about RomeneyCare:

- Even the liberals in MA hate it.
- The Obama Administration keeps using it as a justification for ObamaCare.

The more the Obamanoids associate the Truly Horrible RomenyCare with ObamaCare, more people will have a chance to grok the premonition of what a Epic Fail ObamaCare will be.

How to get the news out to all???

50 days to see a doctor in Boston…Is Massachusetts’ universal coverage laws the cause?
June 9, 2009 in Current Events, Health Insurance, Supply of Medical Services, Wait Times
From the USA Today, here are the wait times to see a doctor in the following cities:
• Boston: 49.6
• Philadelphia: 27
• Los Angeles: 24.2
• Houston: 23.4
• Washington, D.C.: 22.6
• San Diego 20.2
• Minneapolis: 19.8
• Dallas: 19.2
• New York: 19.2
• Denver: 15.4 days
• Miami: 15.4 days
The first thing that jumps out from these numbers is that Boston has by far the longest wait to see a doctor. Is this caused by the universal health coverage enacted in Massachusetts? The answer is maybe. Physician supply adjusts slowly (i.e., it takes a long time to finish med school). On the other hand, Massachusetts decision to increase insurance coverage lead to a spike in the demand for medical services. Thus, universal health care may have caused the run up in wait times, …
Healthcare Economist · 50 days to see a doctor in Boston…Is Massachusetts’ universal coverage laws the cause?

Boe....what do you make of the House GOP not going after ObamaCare in the 'compromise'?

Run them and see

Run them and see

It may just be a case of wishes getting in the way of insight, but I sense that any candidate will beat Obama. While his personals remain high, he does not do well on polls on specific policies.....

and I'm thinking that even the polls on personal may suffer from the Bradley Effect.

Here's hoping.

Boe....what do you make of the House GOP not going after ObamaCare in the 'compromise'?

I'm okay with it. The CR Fracas was a delaying tactic for the Dems. They'd love to keep the focus on snipping a few billion here and there. And there is no way in Hell that Obama was going to cave on ObamaCare right now. It's best to have the CR Fracas at an end. Making the ObamaCare rider a dealbreaker would just play into the Dems' avoidance scheme.

The real battles are the Debt Ceiling and the Ryan Budget Proposal, with a focus on cutting $Ts instead of $Bs.

The added benefit of getting beyond the CR is that the dialogue has changed. We are no longer discussing how much of an additional Stimulus package to spend. Instead, the debate is about How Much To Cut.

That is Change I Can Believe In. Now the GOP needs to deliver.

My prediction: We will most likely have a stalemate of flatlined spending until 2012 when there is an opportunity to get rid of Obama and takeover the Senate (although I would be thrilled to be proven wrong by seeing the Ryan Plan put into effect).

Last edited:

Forum List

Back