Haneyya receives American, Kuwaiti delegations

P F Tinmore

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
GAZA, (PIC)-- Palestinian premier Ismail Haneyya received on Wednesday an unofficial American delegation led by former U.S. ambassador Mark Hambly for a discussion of a number of important political topics.

The discussions, in the presence of senior advisors and officials, tackled the government's relations with the international community, the peace process, the internal Palestinian reconciliation.

Haneyya also received a Kuwaiti delegation grouping representatives of a number of Kuwaiti relief institutions who briefed him on their efforts in Gaza Strip in various fields.

The premier appreciated their efforts and called for more attention to the reconstruction and water sectors.

Haneyya receives American, Kuwaiti delegations

GAZA, (PIC)-- Palestinian premier Ismail Haneyya received on Wednesday an unofficial American delegation led by former U.S. ambassador Mark Hambly for a discussion of a number of important political topics.

The discussions, in the presence of senior advisors and officials, tackled the government's relations with the international community, the peace process, the internal Palestinian reconciliation.

Haneyya also received a Kuwaiti delegation grouping representatives of a number of Kuwaiti relief institutions who briefed him on their efforts in Gaza Strip in various fields.

The premier appreciated their efforts and called for more attention to the reconstruction and water sectors.

Nothing about the torture and murder of Pallies by their own governments?:eek:

Where are the human rights protesters? :lol:

Financial Times: Allegations of West Bank Torture Increase
According to former inmates and activists familiar with Palestinian prisons in the West Bank, prisoners affiliated with the Islamist Hamas movement are beaten regularly and deprived of medicine and basic comforts such as blankets and mattresses. There is evidence that a significant number of detainees are tortured during interrogation. The most common form of abuse is known as Shabeh, in which detainees are handcuffed and bound in stress positions for long periods.

Human rights groups say almost all were arrested without proper warrants and held, contrary to Palestinian law, without the assent of civilian judges or prosecutors. Many were denied access to lawyers and family members. In several dozen cases, including that of Mr Abu Ayyash, the Palestinian High Court of Justice ordered an immediate release – only for its decision to be either ignored or circumvented by the security apparatus

There has been a sharp rise in reported cases of torture and abuse by members of the Palestinian security forces, leading Human Rights Watch to remark last month that "reports of torture by Palestinian security forces keep rolling in." Many analysts and observers fear that life in the West Bank is taking on an increasingly authoritarian hue. "I feel real concern that we are reaching the level of a police state," says Shawan Jabarin, the director of al-Haq, a Ramallah-based human rights group.

For governments in Europe and North America, the worsening human rights situation poses a thorny political dilemma. Many of them provide generous financial support to the PA, and the U.S., fearing an Islamist takeover of the West Bank, has provided much of the training for the PA security forces. Human rights abuses raise difficult questions for donors: "If we are building a police state - what are we actually doing here?"

For Ahmad Salhab, any change will come too late. The 42-year-old former mechanic says he was tortured on two occasions by Palestinian security officers. Repeated application of Shabeh during detention in late 2008 had left him with torn spinal discs. Hee was arrested again by Preventive Security officers on September 19 and later transferred to the same Jericho prison as Mr Abu Ayyash. Mr Salhab says he was held in solitary confinement, deprived of the medication he requires as a result of the earlier abuse and subjected again to Shabeh. His condition deteriorated so badly that he could neither walk nor stand upright. “I had to eat lying on my back. I had to pray on my back and other inmates had to carry me to the toilet,” he says. Mr Salhab was released on October 16 but had to spend 10 days in Hebron hospital before he could return home. Now he walks on crutches and has little hope of ever making a full recovery.

Change will come too late. The 42-year-old former mechanic says he was tortured on two occasions by Palestinian security officers. Repeated application of Shabeh during detention in late 2008 had left him with torn spinal discs.
FT.com / Middle East / Politics & Society - Allegations of West Bank torture increase

[

Last edited:

According to former inmates and activists familiar with Palestinian prisons in the West Bank, prisoners affiliated with the Islamist Hamas movement are beaten regularly and deprived of medicine and basic comforts such as blankets and mattresses. There is evidence that a significant number of detainees are tortured during interrogation. The most common form of abuse is known as Shabeh, in which detainees are handcuffed and bound in stress positions for long periods.

Human rights groups say almost all were arrested without proper warrants and held, contrary to Palestinian law, without the assent of civilian judges or prosecutors. Many were denied access to lawyers and family members. In several dozen cases, including that of Mr Abu Ayyash, the Palestinian High Court of Justice ordered an immediate release – only for its decision to be either ignored or circumvented by the security apparatus

There has been a sharp rise in reported cases of torture and abuse by members of the Palestinian security forces, leading Human Rights Watch to remark last month that "reports of torture by Palestinian security forces keep rolling in." Many analysts and observers fear that life in the West Bank is taking on an increasingly authoritarian hue. "I feel real concern that we are reaching the level of a police state," says Shawan Jabarin, the director of al-Haq, a Ramallah-based human rights group.

For governments in Europe and North America, the worsening human rights situation poses a thorny political dilemma. Many of them provide generous financial support to the PA, and the U.S., fearing an Islamist takeover of the West Bank, has provided much of the training for the PA security forces. Human rights abuses raise difficult questions for donors: "If we are building a police state - what are we actually doing here?"

For Ahmad Salhab, any change will come too late. The 42-year-old former mechanic says he was tortured on two occasions by Palestinian security officers. Repeated application of Shabeh during detention in late 2008 had left him with torn spinal discs. Hee was arrested again by Preventive Security officers on September 19 and later transferred to the same Jericho prison as Mr Abu Ayyash. Mr Salhab says he was held in solitary confinement, deprived of the medication he requires as a result of the earlier abuse and subjected again to Shabeh. His condition deteriorated so badly that he could neither walk nor stand upright. “I had to eat lying on my back. I had to pray on my back and other inmates had to carry me to the toilet,” he says. Mr Salhab was released on October 16 but had to spend 10 days in Hebron hospital before he could return home. Now he walks on crutches and has little hope of ever making a full recovery.

Change will come too late. The 42-year-old former mechanic says he was tortured on two occasions by Palestinian security officers. Repeated application of Shabeh during detention in late 2008 had left him with torn spinal discs.
FT.com / Middle East / Politics & Society - Allegations of West Bank torture increase

[

I already did. The PA security forces are US forces.

BTW, how is that isolating Gaza thing going for you?

[

The PA security forces are...PA security forces. :lol:

[

The PA:

Abbas, term of office expired Jan. 9, 2009.

Salam Fayyad, Never approved by the PLC as required by the constitution.

Security forces, armed, paid, and trained by the US and under the command of US General Keith Dayton to coordinate security with Israel.

Look it up.

The PA:

Security forces, armed, paid, and trained by the US and under the command of US General Keith Dayton to coordinate security with Israel.

Look it up.

Still throwing anything against the wall in the hope something sticks? :lol:

How's that working out for ya, champ? :lol:
Still, no reputational points? I guess, not too well:lol:

The PA:

Look it up.

Of course you will not look it up.

Ignorant by choice. Interesting.

The PA:

Look it up.

Of course you will not look it up.

Ignorant by choice. Interesting.

I live a few miles from Gaza. I know. You, not so much

[
How many of those crimes would be committed if Israel was not illegally occupying the West Bank?

GCIV: "Articles 47-78 impose substantial obligations on occupying powers.

"As well as numerous provisions for the general welfare of the inhabitants of an occupied territory, an occupier may not forcibly deport protected persons, or deport or transfer parts of its own civilian population into occupied territory (Art.49).

[
How many of those crimes would be committed if Israel was not illegally occupying the West Bank?

You mean Judea and Samaria, the correct historical geographic names of the land.

The West Bank was invented by the Jordanians when Jordan illegally occupied Judea and Samaria for 20 years.

Jews have lived in Judea for 4,000 years. Muzzies, not even close:clap2:

Forum List

Back