Hammer movies with Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee

....Do you remember B.J. and the Dirty Dragon show.....on after school...?
No, I don't remember B.J. and the Dirty Dragon, but I do remember Ray Raynor .... as well as Here's Geraldine - Kuckla, Fran & Ollie, - and Uncle Johnny Coons. I saw Coons once in Forest Park.

When I was a little kid Channel 7 here in Chicago had a morning movie show...a woman sat on a couch and had one of those funny French Telephones and she would host the movie....for one week they would play the Hammer horror movies......Dracula, Frankenstein, the Werewolf with the guy from the 3 Musketeers....I loved those movies.....watched them all the time......those were great movies as a kid......
I thought that show was called "Shock Theater".

this show was on during the actual work week.....Monday-Friday....the rest of the year she played regular movies.....but once a year it was a week of Hammer horror films.....
What year was that? Approximately.

Had to be the middle 70s.....
Oh! Way after my time! I'm from the Pinky Lee, Garfiled Goose, Elmer the Elephant, and Susan show era.
You really are an old fart.
Pinky Lee LOL
followed by Ding Dong School
and Howdy Doody.

Around halloween these movies are player quite a bit.
Not outstanding but sorta fun to watch.
I guess I'm just nostalgic for the old stuff.
To TyroneWeaver: I do not know much about Peter Cushing, but I do remember seeing him in this movie more than 50 years ago:

Fury at Smugglers' Bay (1961) - IMDb

Cushing stuck in my memory because I always thought both he and the film were entertaining after be became better known to Americans.

What made the Hammer Horror movies great was that they were the first to bring more adult themes to horror movies. What their Frankenstein series got right is that the real monster was the mad doctor, not the pathetic creatures he created.

In addition to their work for Hammer, Cushing and Lee also did a lot of movies for other studios, most notably Amicus. Often lower quality in terms of story and production values, but you had a few gems in there.

The biggest missed opportunity with Hammer was their attempt to do a Sherlock Holmes series with Cushing as Holmes. While Cushing was almost as perfect for the role as Basil Rathebone, the story they picked, Hound of the Baskervilles, underutilized him and the series never really picked up.

Christopher Lee as Dracula. He did the part in a way that defined Horror. Peter Cushing would have made a great Sherlock Holmes to bad it wasn't picked up. I was always a fan of Hammer Films ,but there last one titled ,Frankenstein Must Die was one of the worst made movies ever and a big disappointment. Example ;It was set in the 19th century and they used aluminum folding ladders in one scene .The editing was the worst. I would avoid it unless you want to laugh.

(they also added a rape scene that was that disgusting)

Last edited:
Christopher Lee as Dracula. He did the part in a way that defined Horror. Peter Cushing would have made a great Sherlock Holmes to bad it wasn't picked up. I was always a fan of Hammer Films ,but there last one titled ,Frankenstein Must Die was one of the worst made movies ever and a big disappointment. Example ;It was set in the 19th century and they used aluminum folding ladders in one scene .The editing was the worst. I would avoid it unless you want to laugh.

(they also added a rape scene that was that disgusting)

You are thinking of Frankenstein must be Destroyed. Actually, it was a pretty awful movie, but it wasn't the last one. There was the Horror of Frankenstein where they tried to reboot it with a younger actor playing Dr. F., and then they brought back Cushing for Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell.

Fun note, the creatures in those last two movies were both played by David Prowse, who would go on to play Darth Vader.

Forum List

Back