Hamas has a death wish

This is no "Cast Lead 2", will end in less than a week, tops.

Tell me more. From what I am reading, the Home Front Command is saying the fighting will last for at least seven weeks, and Lieberman has said,

"If ground forces enter Gaza, we can't stop in the middle, we have to go all the way."

Israel's failure to do so during Operation Cast Lead in 2008, he said, meant that the operation's goals remained unmet while Israel paid a heavy diplomatic price.

Politicians demand gov't present ... JPost - Diplomacy & Politics

For Cast Lead only 10,000 reservists were called up, but 16,000 have been called up so far this time and the cabinet has approved calling up 75,000. My impression is that the government considers Cast Lead a failure because it ended in a unilateral Israeli ceasefire and because there were, as you well know, 451 rocket and mortar attacks on southern Israel in the first 10 months of 2012. Do you have reasons for believing this operation will be over so quickly or are you just feeling discouraged because the government took so long to respond to these outrages?

Tell me more. From what I am reading, the Home Front Command is saying the fighting will last for at least seven weeks, and Lieberman has said,

"If ground forces enter Gaza, we can't stop in the middle, we have to go all the way."

Israel's failure to do so during Operation Cast Lead in 2008, he said, meant that the operation's goals remained unmet while Israel paid a heavy diplomatic price.

For Cast Lead only 10,000 reservists were called up, but 16,000 have been called up so far this time and the cabinet has approved calling up 75,000. My impression is that the government considers Cast Lead a failure because it ended in a unilateral Israeli ceasefire and because there were, as you well know, 451 rocket and mortar attacks on southern Israel in the first 10 months of 2012. Do you have reasons for believing this operation will be over so quickly or are you just feeling discouraged because the government took so long to respond to these outrages?
If the forces go in Hamas is over, finito, kaupt. Otherwise Netanyahu's re election will be on the line. If Netanyahu is successful here, then he can take this and ask the people of Israel to trust him with Iran.

If the forces go in Hamas is over, finito, kaupt. Otherwise Netanyahu's re election will be on the line. If Netanyahu is successful here, then he can take this and ask the people of Israel to trust him with Iran.

I can't find the link right now, but Lieberman recently said toppling Hamas was not one of th goals of this operation, that they would leave that for the next government, which, of course will be very much like this government. The current goals seem to be to do profound damage to Hamas', et. al. ability to launch attacks on Israel and to force Hamas to ask for a truce, not just another ceasefire. Like you, I would like to see them wipe out the entire terrorist infrastructure, but with the prospect of a conflict with Iran on the horizon I can understand that the government might prefer to see a weakened Hamas in charge rather than the chaos that would ensue after it was destroyed and the possible need to reoccupy Gaza.

Israel will not leave this undone this time. They will do in Hamas and set their sites on Iran.

Israel will not leave this undone this time. They will do in Hamas and set their sites on Iran.
From your mouth to God's ears. Today is a day of worldwide Selihot prayer for Israel.

Last edited:
If it means the end of the zionist regime, go for it

Iran is the major problem. Without so much support from Iran, Hamas and Hezbollah would still be problems for the peoples of Gaza and Lebanon, but they wouldn't be problems for Israel. Because of the distance involved, Israel will probably be able to knock out Iran's nuclear weapons program and perhaps its missile programs, but it will not be able to sufficiently weaken Iran to prevent Iran's support for its Arab proxies, so in the future Israel will have to deal with a somewhat weakened Iran and most probably with a weakened Hamas.

The problem with bringing down Hamas is that with no government structure, Israel will be held responsible by the international community, and by many Israelis, for providing for the needs of the civilian population in Gaza, just as the US was held responsible for providing for the Iraqi people after it took down Saddam Hussein's government.

All the major political parties support the current operation and its stated goals - only Meretz and the Arab parties oppose it - but Lapid, leader of the new Yesh Atid party, and Yacimovich, leader of Labor, are asking the government to announce an exit strategy that will allow Israel to maintain the gains it makes in Pillar of Defense after the IDF leaves Gaza. Part of this is just the opposition looking for an issue to use against Netanyahu in the election campaign, but it suggests that Netanyahu and Lieberman, who both vigorously opposed the withdrawal from Gaza, might be tempted to use the current operation to establish a new occupation of Gaza. Strapping Israel with the responsibility of policing and footing the bill for 1,700,000 hostile, impoverished Arabs would not be a popular idea with most Israelis, so Lieberman has stated that toppling Hamas is not a goal of the current operation. The goal would seem to be to severely weaken and humiliate Hamas, just as Sharon once severely weakened the Arafat government, in order to establish an era of peacefulness in the south.

Fox Newst announced 75,000 were just mobilized.

If true, that would mean the ground operation will begin shortly. The first 16,000 reservists called up were engineers whose job it was to prepare for tanks and heavy equipment to enter Gaza. The much larger number of reservists called up (75,000 now as opposed to 10,000 in Cast Lead) and the warnings from the Home Front Commander and the Southern Commander that this operation will take a long time (at least 7 weeks as opposed to 3 weeks for Cast Lead) suggests what we are about to see will dwarf what we saw in Cast Lead.

Make that 75,000 reservists could be mobilized. Someone jumped the gun on that report. I won't make anymore announcements till they're verified.

7 weeks will last until the elections in Er.... 7 weeks

Right, it's not about Israel suffering 451 rocket and mortar attacks in the first ten months of the year, it's just about the elections. Here's hoping people throw bombs at you 11 times a week for the next ten months.

I only hope that Israel has learned their lesson. No matter how they try to limit colleteral damage they will still be condemned. So why not just give the pali animals what they want (paradise) and just carpet bomb gaza? Leave no one alive-problem solved. I knew it was a mistake to give gaza to the animals. Why won't Israel listen to me?

75000 is the most recent figure I heard on the BBC too.

Forum List

Back