Halloween or Fall Festival?

Zoom-boing

Platinum Member
Oct 30, 2008
East Japip
66% See No Need to Change “Halloween”

Many schools are replacing the word "Halloween" with “Fall Festival” because of negative connotations some see in the long-standing holiday name. But a new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey finds that 66% of adults do not think it’s a good idea to change the name.

Nineteen percent (19%) say a name-change is a good idea, and 15% are not sure.

Regardless of name, children all across the country will get in the spirit of Halloween and dress up for school. A sizable majority of adults (72%) say public schools should allow children to wear costumes to class in celebration of the holiday. Only 18% feel children should leave their costumes at home.

Seventy-six percent (76%) of adults with children say school students should dress up for Halloween, and 69% of adults without children feel the same way.

Sixty-nine percent (69%) of all adults feel that children should be allowed to bring candy to school for Halloween. Twenty-three percent (23%) disagree.

66% See No Need to Change “Halloween” - Rasmussen Reports™

Fall Festival my ass. Last year my youngest came home and said they were going to have a FF party. I said you mean a Halloween party. She said well it was a Halloween party but ONE kid --ONE KID -- didn't celebrate Halloween so the teacher was going to have a FF party because of that kid. Which meant no Halloween type stuff just generic 'fall' crap. The kid told the teacher a week prior to the party that she wouldn't be in school that day so they had Halloween party instead. Can someone explain the moronic logic of catering to the one?

The whole damned world is trying to be politically correct. I think it's pretty hosed up myself. Being political correct is such a phoney way to go through life. Like stores trying to call Christmas cards "holiday cards" or a Christmas tree a "holiday tree". That's pretty fucked up and so is the term Fall Holiday over the word "Halloween". It's all just bullshit.

the difference being, of course, jews and a whole host of others don't celebrate a significantly different HOLIDAY on Oct. 31 like they do during the WINTER HOLIDAY season.

:lol:

the pettiness is almost as predictable as Black Friday.

hey christians.. .stick to your fucking hayrides and call it what you want. It's still Halloween to us. You should act in kind during the coming WINTER HOLIDAY.

Last edited:
Whats with everyone wanting to rename everything.

Its like pelosi wanting to rename single payer health care the public option, then wanting to rename the public option the consumer option or the competetive option.

Just leave it alone already. Its Halloween. You want to celebrate something else fine go ahead but that doesnt mean you can change the day for everyone else.

Im not speaking to anyone in particluar BTW, just ranting.

Is this all just political correctness? I don't understand the logic of catering to the few who may be offended. BFD if they're offended, BFD that ONE kid in my daughter's class didn't celebrate Halloween. Why the hell should the vast majority pacify the small minority?

Prolly some goofy Christians. They can't stand anything connected, however loosely, to the devil.
Goofy Christian here. We don't celebrate dressing up as a "Demon", going door to door and begging for candy, it's pointless. We don't give out any either, we just keep the light off. If any kid rings the door bell we just say we don't celebrate Halloween. If you want to do it, go ahead.

And I would guess that Muslims or the Amish don't celebrate it either.

By the way, we don't celebrate Easter with chocolate candy baskets and egg hunts either. You probably think that's "goofy" as well but I ask you this:

How does that fit in with The Resurrection?

Prolly some goofy Christians. They can't stand anything connected, however loosely, to the devil.
Goofy Christian here. We don't celebrate dressing up as a "Demon", going door to door and begging for candy, it's pointless. We don't give out any either, we just keep the light off. If any kid rings the door bell we just say we don't celebrate Halloween. If you want to do it, go ahead.

And I would guess that Muslims or the Amish don't celebrate it either.

By the way, we don't celebrate Easter with chocolate candy baskets and egg hunts either. You probably think that's "goofy" as well but I ask you this:

How does that fit in with The Resurrection?

I'm not a christian but I commend that you stay true to your individual values.

I like halloween, its fun to see the kids costumes and how much fun they have asking their neighbors for candy.

Sooooooooooo Funny!!!!!!!

I really don't argue one way or another about what people call their holidays. I call Christmas, "Christmas." I say Merry Christmas, and even sometimes say happy holidays.

I don't celebrate halloween, but I don't complain about it. I have my personal opinions of it, but they are my opinions.

As to wondering about how one person can cause such a issue, I have wondered that as well. One atheist has been doing that for years in Californis. He is causing the government to spend millions of dollars. But now you complain when a secular, but also religious holiday is being treated that way. LOL

When it comes down to it, God is my Heavenly Father, and I serve Him and him alone. I will serve Him even when PC says don't. I will say whatever holiday greeting I wish to say, even in government buildings, and at the schools. I will praise God when I am impressed to do so, anytime, anywhere, and in whatever way I beleive it correct in God's eyes.

I will proclaim Hislove and salvation the same way. I may be stopped someday, but that is in God's hands.

Have a great halloween. Just don't make my grandkids participate. Don't grade them down for nonparticipation. I will raise the roof, and make a noise that will be heard in places where walls will fall.

I don't rattle your cage, don't rattle mine!

Hmmm, in our public school we have to call it the "Fall Party" instead of Halloween party, but we have pumpkins, ghosts, witches, etc. decorated in the building, and Halloween treats for the kids.

Nobody really cares what it's called, the kids are just happy they are having a party with tons of junk!

In December we have a "Holiday" program that all students participate in (except the Jehovah's Witness kids) and there are Hanukkah, Kwanzaa and Christmas songs in the program.

We also have Christmas parties for our kids, give them gifts, and nobody has batted an eyelash.

Damn adults, take the fun out of all the kids holidays. Kids should be kids and have some magic in their lives while their young.

Christmas, Halloween, Easter, Saint Patrick's, Valentines, et all , the more the better.

All too soon, the magic of youth is torn away to the childish nature and goings on of adulthood and all that goes with it, sex, violence, weirdo's and the rest.

I find it heartbreaking that kids lose the magic, the purity and the simple joy of living at an earlier and earlier age, in a word, IT SUCKS......:(... ok.....(2 words)

Damn adults, take the fun out of all the kids holidays. Kids should be kids and have some magic in their lives while their young.

Christmas, Halloween, Easter, Saint Patrick's, Valentines, et all , the more the better.

All too soon, the magic of youth is torn away to the childish nature and goings on of adulthood and all that goes with it, sex, violence, weirdo's and the rest.

I find it heartbreaking that kids lose the magic, the purity and the simple joy of living at an earlier and earlier age, in a word, IT SUCKS......:(... ok.....(2 words)

Calm down there mister doom and gloom. We, and my daughter's school, also have Valentines Day parties, with the cards and all, and Easter ( I hide the plastic eggs with treats for the kids and we make Easter Baskets) and being Irish, I even have a St. Patty's Day party for them.

Jumping to conclusions is harmful to your health Lumpster!

Thankfully Halloween is on Saturday this year, so no problem. Not usually that lucky most years though. It seems I'm not the only one that buys Halloween candy a few weeks before, kids start coming sugared about 2 weeks before. LOL!

A few years ago the principal said, "No costumes or parties! The kids have too much sweets already!" That rule was bent for preschoolers, who parade through the school. PTO brings donuts and juice in the morning and we have an assembly in the afternoon. The Friday before Halloween a note goes home with a 'trick or treat' bag saying to not send 'treats' to school, but if the parents wish, to send the $$ in the bag for UNICEF. While it's not my favorite charity, I think the thought is good. I know we get to teach in the morning, which would NOT happen if they were in costumes.

Truth moment: a couple years ago I did let my homeroom class 'goth' me for the day. Still get letters about that! :lol:

66% See No Need to Change “Halloween”

Many schools are replacing the word "Halloween" with “Fall Festival” because of negative connotations some see in the long-standing holiday name. But a new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey finds that 66% of adults do not think it’s a good idea to change the name.

Nineteen percent (19%) say a name-change is a good idea, and 15% are not sure.

Regardless of name, children all across the country will get in the spirit of Halloween and dress up for school. A sizable majority of adults (72%) say public schools should allow children to wear costumes to class in celebration of the holiday. Only 18% feel children should leave their costumes at home.

Seventy-six percent (76%) of adults with children say school students should dress up for Halloween, and 69% of adults without children feel the same way.

Sixty-nine percent (69%) of all adults feel that children should be allowed to bring candy to school for Halloween. Twenty-three percent (23%) disagree.

66% See No Need to Change “Halloween” - Rasmussen Reports™

Fall Festival my ass. Last year my youngest came home and said they were going to have a FF party. I said you mean a Halloween party. She said well it was a Halloween party but ONE kid --ONE KID -- didn't celebrate Halloween so the teacher was going to have a FF party because of that kid. Which meant no Halloween type stuff just generic 'fall' crap. The kid told the teacher a week prior to the party that she wouldn't be in school that day so they had Halloween party instead. Can someone explain the moronic logic of catering to the one?

Shhh ... don't tell the wingnuts this, but Fall Festival is what All Hallows Eve means, and that's what Halloween means to. It's more pagan to call it Fall Festival, Halloween was actually a word coined to "cushion" the holiday for the masses.

Calm down there mister doom and gloom. We, and my daughter's school, also have Valentines Day parties, with the cards and all, and Easter ( I hide the plastic eggs with treats for the kids and we make Easter Baskets) and being Irish, I even have a St. Patty's Day party for them.

Angel Muffin, I hope you didn't think I was referring to your post.

Part of the reason we moved the family to this small mountain town is to get away from the big city stuff (clean word) as much as possible in a state like California. Messing with kids and women is the quickest way to piss me off, but I'm fine now....;)

Sooooooooooo Funny!!!!!!!

I really don't argue one way or another about what people call their holidays. I call Christmas, "Christmas." I say Merry Christmas, and even sometimes say happy holidays.

I don't celebrate halloween, but I don't complain about it. I have my personal opinions of it, but they are my opinions.

As to wondering about how one person can cause such a issue, I have wondered that as well. One atheist has been doing that for years in Californis. He is causing the government to spend millions of dollars. But now you complain when a secular, but also religious holiday is being treated that way. LOL

When it comes down to it, God is my Heavenly Father, and I serve Him and him alone. I will serve Him even when PC says don't. I will say whatever holiday greeting I wish to say, even in government buildings, and at the schools. I will praise God when I am impressed to do so, anytime, anywhere, and in whatever way I beleive it correct in God's eyes.

I will proclaim Hislove and salvation the same way. I may be stopped someday, but that is in God's hands.

Have a great halloween. Just don't make my grandkids participate. Don't grade them down for nonparticipation. I will raise the roof, and make a noise that will be heard in places where walls will fall.

I don't rattle your cage, don't rattle mine!

Agree . . . as long as people aren't pc'd into changing Halloween to Fall Fest to accommodate the few who don't participate.

What if there was one kid who didn't celebrate Valentine's Day . . . for whatever reason . . . and because of that the entire class changed not just what is was called but the context of the day itself for the party? No hearts or candies or cards or what have you. That's what my daughter's class was going to do because one kid didn't celebrate Halloween.

Forum List

Back