Half of you will like this!

Caligirl

Oh yes it is too!
Aug 25, 2008
Obama’s Use Of Complete Sentences Stirs Controversy
Stunning Break With Last Eight Years

In the first two weeks since the election, President-elect Barack Obama has broken with a tradition established over the past eight years through his controversial use of complete sentences, political observers say. Millions of Americans who watched Mr. Obama's appearance on CBS's 60 Minutes on Sunday witnessed the president-elect's unorthodox verbal tick, which had Mr. Obama employing grammatically correct sentences virtually every time he opened his mouth. But Mr. Obama's decision to use complete sentences in his public pronouncements carries with it certain risks, since after the last eight years many Americans may find his odd speaking style jarring.

According to presidential historian Davis Logsdon of the University of Minnesota, some Americans might find it "alienating" to have a president who speaks English as if it were his first language. "Every time Obama opens his mouth, his subjects and verbs are in agreement," says Mr. Logsdon. "If he keeps it up, he is running the risk of sounding like an elitist." The historian said that if Mr. Obama insists on using complete sentences in his speeches, the public may find itself saying, "Okay, subject, predicate, subject predicate -- we get it, stop showing off."

The president-elect's stubborn insistence on using complete sentences has already attracted a rebuke from one of his harshest critics, Gov. Sarah Palin of Alaska. "Talking with complete sentences there and also too talking in a way that ordinary Americans like Joe the Plumber and Tito the Builder can't really do there, I think needing to do that isn't tapping into what Americans are needing also," she said.

:razz:

Last edited:
The president-elect's stubborn insistence on using complete sentences has already attracted a rebuke from one of his harshest critics, Gov. Sarah Palin of Alaska. "Talking with complete sentences there and also too talking in a way that ordinary Americans like Joe the Plumber and Tito the Builder can't really do there, I think needing to do that isn't tapping into what Americans are needing also," she said.

:rofl:

Complete Sentences!

Why, that's just COMMUNIST! :eek:

dumb it down obama...BUSH was great at that ..like he was talking to a three year old...but people ate it up

For me, Biden gets it just about right.

Hey incidentally I have wanted to ask, if a fetus is a person from the moment of conception, with the same set of protected rights as an adult, why is it OK to post that person's nakedness as your avatar?

I am advocating that out of a sense of dignity, that fetus's beautiful naked bod not be plastered all over the internet. Unless "it" is nothing more than an object to you?

not trying to be offensive, truly, just puzzling it out - I'm a little slow sometimes. :) ?

It would be funnier if it were at least partially true. He says "you know" and "ah" more often than any politician that I've listened to.

:lol: Sourpuss. It's funny anyway.

I agree he has real ticks, including his mouth hanging open when he listens to interviewers.

Obama ain't got nothin on Bush though! :lol: (you know I love you glocky!)

10) "Families is where our nation finds hope, where wings take dream." —LaCrosse, Wis., Oct. 18, 2000 (Listen to audio clip)

9) "I know how hard it is for you to put food on your family." —Greater Nashua, N.H., Jan. 27, 2000(Listen to audio clip)

8) "I hear there's rumors on the Internets that we're going to have a draft." —second presidential debate, St. Louis, Mo., Oct. 8, 2004 (Listen to audio clip)

7) "I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully." —Saginaw, Mich., Sept. 29, 2000 (Listen to audio clip)

6) "You work three jobs? … Uniquely American, isn't it? I mean, that is fantastic that you're doing that." —to a divorced mother of three, Omaha, Nebraska, Feb. 4, 2005 (Listen to audio clip)

5) "Too many good docs are getting out of the business. Too many OB-GYNs aren't able to practice their love with women all across this country." —Poplar Bluff, Mo., Sept. 6, 2004 (Watch video clip; listen to audio clip)

4) "They misunderestimated me." —Bentonville, Ark., Nov. 6, 2000

3) "Rarely is the questioned asked: Is our children learning?" —Florence, S.C., Jan. 11, 2000

2) "Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we." —Washington, D.C., Aug. 5, 2004 (Watch video clip; listen to audio clip)

1) "There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again." —Nashville, Tenn., Sept. 17, 2002

How about the McCain rally when John told the crowd "I will make

sure that we deliver hot bottled water to dehydrated babies" :lol: :lol: :lol:

[YOUTUBE]V_MrwkyGe1w[/YOUTUBE]

Anyone whose every word is scrutinized is going to make gaffs in speaking, folks.

But when they consistently make errors like Bush did?

Well you start to wonder if perhaps their thinking isn't as convoluted and confused as the words coming out of their mouths.

Now in the case of Bush, we've also got his proformance as a POTUS that show us that in his case?

The man was wholly unqualified for the position he was in.

Forum List

Back