Half of Netherland's deaths are euthanasia

Blog: Santorum on Target about Netherlands' Euthanasia Laws

A group called the "Patients Rights Council" in Ohio summarizes the Dutch laws. In reviewing that summary, consider these points:

The law "requires" physicians to conduct euthanasia with "due care." The law redefines euthanasia and assisted-suicide from crimes to "medical treatments."

Incompetent patients can be euthanized having previously provided a written statement. The written statement need not be made in conjunction with any particular medical condition. It could be a written statement made years before, based upon views that may have changed. The physician could administer euthanasia based on the prior written statement. [Italics added.]

Teenagers (16-18) may request euthanasia. Parents or guardians need to be involved in the "decision process," but their approval isn't required.

Children 12-16 may request euthanasia or assisted suicide. In this instance, parents or guardians must concur.

A person may qualify for euthanasia or assisted suicide if the doctor "holds the conviction that the patient's suffering is lasting and unbearable." [Chapter II, Article 2, 1b] There is no requirement that the suffering be physical or that the patient be terminally ill. [Italics added.]

Read more: Blog: Santorum on Target about Netherlands' Euthanasia Laws

I think euthanasia is great.

We treat our dogs better than we treat people.

I hope it's around when I get ready to die.

A group called the "Patients Rights Council" in Ohio summarizes the Dutch laws. In reviewing that summary, consider these points:

The law "requires" physicians to conduct euthanasia with "due care." The law redefines euthanasia and assisted-suicide from crimes to "medical treatments."

Incompetent patients can be euthanized having previously provided a written statement. The written statement need not be made in conjunction with any particular medical condition. It could be a written statement made years before, based upon views that may have changed. The physician could administer euthanasia based on the prior written statement. [Italics added.]

Teenagers (16-18) may request euthanasia. Parents or guardians need to be involved in the "decision process," but their approval isn't required.

Children 12-16 may request euthanasia or assisted suicide. In this instance, parents or guardians must concur.

A person may qualify for euthanasia or assisted suicide if the doctor "holds the conviction that the patient's suffering is lasting and unbearable." [Chapter II, Article 2, 1b] There is no requirement that the suffering be physical or that the patient be terminally ill. [Italics added.]

Hopefully, someday we will have the love and compassion for our fellow humans that we now have for our pets!

Meanwhile, there nothing in that link that would make me trust Santorum any more than I do now. From all that I have read, I would say he's vicious and dangerous. He is damn near certifiable.

Last edited:

Hopefully, someday we will have the love and compassion for our fellow humans that we now have for our pets!

Meanwhile, there nothing in that link that would make me trust Santorum any more than I do now. From all that I have read, I would say he's vicious and dangerous. He is damn near certifiable.

Last edited:
We should treat people the way we treat pets.

Where is the shelter where we can take unwanted people to have them put down? Round up the homeless, if they aren't claimed in five days, to the chamber with them.

Where is the shelter where we can take unwanted people to have them put down? Round up the homeless, if they aren't claimed in five days, to the chamber with them.

We have lots of elderly storage facilities.

A multi-billion dollar industry.

Pretty lame.

Like I said, I watched my mother die a horrible death and believe in euthanasia.

We treat our pets better than we treat our people.

Me too, if I ever get in the condition my mom was before she died of lingering terminal cancer they had better hide the pills. That is not going to happen to me no matter what anyone says.

Half of Netherland's deaths are euthanasia - Or so says santorum.

Once again, you get your "facts" wrong.

Santorum did not say half of all deaths in the Netherlands are euthanasia.

He clearly said ten percent of deaths in the Netherlands are euthanasia, and that half of THOSE are forced.

So he is saying 5 percent of deaths in the Netherlands are forced euthanasia.

I think you need to go back and read your links, none of which state that he says half of the deaths in the Netherlands are euthanasia.

What the links say is that he said half of the euthanasia deaths were forced euthanasia.

It seems to me that forced euthanasia is murder.

Your first link states that in 2010, two percent of the deaths in the Netherlands were euthanasia related, meaning if Santorum is correct that one percent of the deaths were forced euthanasia.

Immie

Here's the thing about euthanasia...

You might not be ready. But die you will....

It appears Santorum's claim that elderly people wear "do not euthanize me" bracelets in the Netherlands is in the Making Shit Up category.

I doubt he invented that shit up himself, but he certainly drank someone's else's bongwater, which is not exactly a leadership quality.

Last edited:

Have you ever visited a kill shelter?????

What a fucking tardwit you are.:cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo:

Per usual, the thread title is a lie, and Chris is just advocating killing off vulnerable people, per usual. What a champion nazi he is.

That's an extremist view. Don't you think if the Dutch or anyone was rounding people up against their will for euthanasia it would make the nightly news?

How about we let families decide for themselves instead of forcing everyone to comply with yet another government regulation?

Every one dies, some even before the medical and elderly warehousing industry gets all their money and lots of the govts money as well.

Forum List

Back