Half of Afghanistan Taliban leadership arrested in Pakistan

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
Half of Afghanistan Taliban leadership arrested in Pakistan / The Christian Science Monitor - CSMonitor.com

MONITOR EXCLUSIVE: Pakistan officials told the Monitor they have arrested nearly half – 7 of 15 – members of the Afghan Taliban's senior leadership council in recent days, including the Taliban head of military operations in Afghanistan.

In total, seven of the insurgent group’s 15-member leadership council, thought to be based in Quetta, Pakistan, including the head of military operations, have been apprehended in the past week, according to Pakistani intelligence officials.

Western and Pakistani media had previously reported the arrest of three of the 15, but this is the first confirmation of the wider scale of the Pakistan crackdown on the Taliban leadership, something the US has sought.

News of the sweep emerged over the past week, with reports that Pakistani authorities had netted Mullah Abdul Ghani Baradar, the movement’s second in command, as well as Maulavi Abdul Kabir, a prominent commander in charge of insurgent operations in eastern Afghanistan, and Mullah Muhammad Younis.

Pakistan has also captured several other Afghan members of the leadership council, called the Quetta Shura, two officials with the Pakistani Intelligence Bureau, and a United Nations official in Kabul told the Monitor.

"Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men. It is the spirit of men who follow and of the man who leads that gains the victory."
-- George S. Patton

Thoughts USMB?

Great news

This is better news for Pakistan than it is for us. Pakistan was in danger of being overwhelmed by the Taliban. A Taliban takeover of Pakistan would heve been a threat to the whole world given Pakistans nuclear capabilities.
Looks like Taliban and Alqaeda are being squeezed from both sides

Half of Afghanistan Taliban leadership arrested in Pakistan / The Christian Science Monitor - CSMonitor.com

MONITOR EXCLUSIVE: Pakistan officials told the Monitor they have arrested nearly half – 7 of 15 – members of the Afghan Taliban's senior leadership council in recent days, including the Taliban head of military operations in Afghanistan.

In total, seven of the insurgent group’s 15-member leadership council, thought to be based in Quetta, Pakistan, including the head of military operations, have been apprehended in the past week, according to Pakistani intelligence officials.

Western and Pakistani media had previously reported the arrest of three of the 15, but this is the first confirmation of the wider scale of the Pakistan crackdown on the Taliban leadership, something the US has sought.

News of the sweep emerged over the past week, with reports that Pakistani authorities had netted Mullah Abdul Ghani Baradar, the movement’s second in command, as well as Maulavi Abdul Kabir, a prominent commander in charge of insurgent operations in eastern Afghanistan, and Mullah Muhammad Younis.

Pakistan has also captured several other Afghan members of the leadership council, called the Quetta Shura, two officials with the Pakistani Intelligence Bureau, and a United Nations official in Kabul told the Monitor.

"Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men. It is the spirit of men who follow and of the man who leads that gains the victory."
-- George S. Patton

Thoughts USMB?

Looks like the ISI-D stopped protecting them.

I wonder how much that cost us?

Mr. Malik told reporters in Islamabad that the captured insurgents would be transferred, but did not give a time frame. "We have to ensure first that these people did not commit any crimes against Pakistan," says an official in the Pakistani Interior Ministry, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

Washington and Kabul have been pushing to have the insurgents transferred so that they can be interrogated directly, since currently American officials have limited access to the prisoners.

Hmmm. Dunno what to think of that. Two years ago, a few weeks in Paki prison and I'd guess they would be begging to be taken to Gitmo, lol. Nowdays it's a open question what their fate is but for all I care, they can rot there. (unless we can get them to blab)

Anywho, nice catch.

It's so ironic. Obama is concentrating on bringing down the Taliban and al Qaeda in Afghanistan and Pakistan and the Republicans are concentrating on bringing down Obama is this country.
Isn't that something? Makes you wonder, whom is working with whom.

It's so ironic. Obama is concentrating on bringing down the Taliban and al Qaeda in Afghanistan and Pakistan and the Republicans are concentrating on bringing down Obama is this country.
Isn't that something? Makes you wonder, whom is working with whom.

:lol::lol::lol:

Great news

This is better news for Pakistan than it is for us. Pakistan was in danger of being overwhelmed by the Taliban. A Taliban takeover of Pakistan would heve been a threat to the whole world given Pakistans nuclear capabilities.

The first thing you got to do is get your facts straight.

The Afghan Taliban and the Pakistan Taliban are 2 ENTIRELY DIFFERENT GROUPS.

The second thing you need to get straight is that the U.S. has installed "devices" on Pakistani nukes which renders them unuseable without certain protocols being met.

Great news

The first thing you got to do is get your facts straight.

The Afghan Taliban and the Pakistan Taliban are 2 ENTIRELY DIFFERENT GROUPS.

The second thing you need to get straight is that the U.S. has installed "devices" on Pakistani nukes which renders them unuseable without certain protocols being met.

hopefully we didn't just use condoms----they can't be trusted to provide the protection that we need

Here are my thoughts and I use the term in the Librul sense of the word:

1. Obama only making more terrorists!!!

2. Where's bin Laden????

3. Pock-ee-stann never attacked us!!!

Fighting a war and actually winning it! What a novel idea! I wonder why we couldn't do this before?

LOL We did.

In Iraq.

We outfought the Iraqi Insurgents on the field and we beat their Democrat supporters and cheerleaders in Congress

2. Where's bin Laden????

In response, my answers are:

1. How?

2. Ask George W. Bush

3. Neither did Iraq...

Obama is making more terrorists because every time we capture or kill one of them 10 more join up at local Jihad recruiting stations.

Also, how do you fight an ideology? Huh? How?

Obama promised bin Laden...where is he?

2. Where's bin Laden????

1. How?

2. Ask George W. Bush

3. Neither did Iraq...

Obama is making more terrorists because every time we capture or kill one of them 10 more join up at local Jihad recruiting stations.

How did torturing the captives, jailing them without charges or counsel and reopening Abu Ghraib prevent ten more of them signing up?

And didn't George W. say bin Laden dead...or alive one month then bin Laden isn't on our radar months later?

How is Obama's prosecution of this war worse than Bush's? Aren't Taliban leaders being rounded up on a wholesale basis? Aren't we sending in the troops to finish this war on a timely schedule?

1. How?

2. Ask George W. Bush

3. Neither did Iraq...

How did torturing the captives, jailing them without charges or counsel and reopening Abu Ghraib prevent ten more of them signing up?

And didn't George W. say bin Laden dead...or alive one month then bin Laden isn't on our radar months later?

How is Obama's prosecution of this war worse than Bush's? Aren't Taliban leaders being rounded up on a wholesale basis? Aren't we sending in the troops to finish this war on a timely schedule?

Osasm's dead, Bush killed him at Tora Bora

The "he's only making more jihadists!!" is the stupid fucking spew and nonsense you Libruls kept saying.

I'm glad Obama is finishing the job and not caving into Code Pink and other fucking retards on the Left

Forum List

Back