Half a Million a week are still filing for Unemployment Insurance.

Discussion in 'Economy' started by Neubarth, Dec 3, 2009.

1. Neubarth

Neubarth At the Ballpark July 30th

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +199
    The number jumps around a lot, but the reality is still there. Half a million workers who feel they are qualified to receive their unemployment insurance file each and every week for that money. That adds up to two million people a month.

Yet the government will tell you that only one tenth of that number are actually unemployed at the end of the month. Supposedly all those people who filed for UI were not really out of employment after six months to a year of former steady employment, or were just demented delusional people because they never show up in the actual unemployment numbers.

I interview these people on a regular basis, and they are not finding work. they are not being counted as unemployed by the Federal Government even though they are receiving their UI checks.

Who are you going to believe? The people who are out of their jobs, or the Government Unemployment numbers? I, personally, believe the people. They really look distraught when I talk to them. Somehow, they are absolutely convinced that they are really unemployed.

Obama is looking for medicine for them so they will be continually happy and THINK that they still have their jobs.

2. Limey

Limey Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Official unemployment figures are never up-to-scratch. Better to use a labour force survey, using a random sample to assess the number that are 'actively seeking work'. The ILO provide such information

3. Neubarth

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Here is a perfect example of more Government Mind Control. This morning's headlines, just like the weeks before.

ap
    New jobless claims fall unexpectedly to 457K
    New jobless benefit claims fall unexpectedly to 457,000, lowest level in more than a year

The numbers did, indeed, go down. The reality is that in California like most of the other states, the number of people who filed decreased because of the holiday for Thanksgiving. In California the state offices were operative for three days last week so tabulation was greatly decreased. In addition, a lot of smaller employers try not to lay anybody off the week and days before Thanksgiving. Ditto the weeks and days before Christmas.

4. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    Hmm surveys....

In my 60 some years of life I have never been surveyed for labor statistics.

5. JWBooth

JWBooth Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,957
    One more indication that the recession is past us and happy days are here again.

[/sarcasm]

6. Neubarth

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Nor I, or anybody I have ever talked to in researching the info for a book I wanted to write.

Has anybody ever been called?

7. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    The unemployment rate varies widely in my state. Some counties are near 30% while a few are more like 7%. Surveys would properly reflect this?

8. Limey

Limey Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Random sampling techniques would predict that result.

9. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    Yeah right.

You seem to be a bit hung up in textbook based economics.

In case you had not noticed they are one reason we are where we are and no longer have a high degree of validity.

10. Limey

Limey Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Nope. The use of random sampling techniques to measure "actively seeking work" is merely best practice. The only aspect of economic theory is the definition of unemployment. This is only a problem if there is specific noise in the data. For example, use of sickness benefit to reduce official unemployment figures (as used by Thatcherism), by impacting on work perceptions, would make a labour force survey questionnaire approach more difficult.

We're here because of neo-liberalism, generating additional economic instabilities through the profiteering behaviour of the financial class