Haley Barbour 2012?

Political Junky

Gold Member
May 27, 2009
Haley Barbour and 2012 - First Read - msnbc.com

Posted: Friday, April 16, 2010 3:57 PM by Mark Murray
Filed Under: Republicans, 2012

From NBC's Mark Murray
Politico's Martin reports that Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour (R) convened a meeting with his closest advisers to discuss, in part, a possible presidential bid. And Martin weighs the possible pros and cons of a White House run by Barbour.

Among the pros: an "unmatched Rolodex" that could make him a fundraising juggernaut; credibility among establishment Republicans (especially due to his stewardship of the RNC and RGA); and a pragmatic streak (while he's conservative, he isn't a purist like, say, Jim DeMint is).

Among the cons: He's a former lobbyist. And as a white man from the Deep South, he might not be the ideal Republican to challenge the nation's first black president.

Besides the race angle, geography also might be a hurdle for Barbour. As we saw in '08, Obama did incredibly well in the states neighboring Illinois (IA, IN, even MO). Barbour doesn't expand the GOP's map -- in fact, he'd only solidify the impression that the GOP is the party of the South.

He's a good governor for Mississippi. I don't think he'll be a good president at all however.

care to explain? I only ask because I had the same opinion about Obama...probably would have been a good Senator if he had made it out of the Jr program, but I didn't think...and still don't think that he's a good president.

I have many reasons...but here's my biggest. He promised to change the way politics is carried out in Washington...He said that over and over and over. Hell, he ran on the word CHANGE. But, sadly, we've had more of the same...only more and more and more. So much more that the conservative side of the aisle is solidly against most any legislation he tries to squeeze through. The division is remarkable. The rhetoric is astounding. And the snubbed up nose of those who look down on any who disagree with him makes me sick.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back