Haiti Devastated by Quake.

Tom Clancy

Clancy for Ron Paul
May 23, 2009
North Carolina.
Snip.

Haiti Devastated by Quake; Scores Believed Dead - International News | News of the World | Middle East News | Europe News - FOXNews.com

Jan. 12: A man carries an injured child outside Hotel Villa Creole in Port-au-Prince, Haiti.

PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti — A powerful earthquake struck Haiti's capital on Tuesday with withering force, toppling everything from simple shacks to the ornate National Palace. The dead and injured lay in the streets even as strong aftershocks rippled through the impoverished Caribbean country.

Associated Press journalists based in Port-au-Prince said the damage from the quake — the most powerful to hit Haiti in more than 200 years — is staggering even in a country accustomed to tragedy and disaster. Thousands of people gathered in public squares late into the night, singing hymns and weeping.

Many gravely injured people sat in the streets early Wednesday, pleading for doctors. With almost no emergency services to speak of, the surivors had few other options.

SLIDESHOW: Devastation in Haiti

VIDEO: Witness Describes Earthquake

The scope of the disaster remained unclear early Wednesday, and even a rough estimate of the number of casualties was impossible. But it was clear from a tour of the capital that tens of thousands of people had lost their homes and that many had perished. Many buildings in Haiti are flimsy and dangerous even under normal conditions.

"The hospitals cannot handle all these victims," said Louis-Gerard Gilles, a doctor and former senator, as he helped survivors. "Haiti needs to pray. We all need to pray together."

An Associated Press videographer saw a wrecked hospital where people screamed for help in Petionville, a hillside Port-au-Prince district that is home to many diplomats and wealthy Haitians as well as many poor people.

The headquarters of the 9,000-member Haiti peacekeeping mission and other U.N. installations were seriously damaged, according to Alain Le Roy, the U.N. peacekeeping chief in New York.

"Contacts with the U.N. on the ground have been severely hampered," Le Roy said in a statement, adding: "For the moment, a large number of personnel remain unaccounted for."

Despite the destruction, the capital was largely peaceful.

The 7.0-magnitude quake struck at 4:53 p.m. Tuesday, leaving large numbers of people unaccounted for, including many of the United Nations personnel who have been keeping the peace in the country since a 2004 rebellion ousted the president.

President Rene Preval and his wife survived the earthquake, according to Robert Manuel, Haiti's ambassador to Mexico. He said he had no other details.

Karel Zelenka, a Catholic Relief Services representative in Port-au-Prince, told U.S. colleagues before phone service failed that "there must be thousands of people dead," according to a spokeswoman for the aid group, Sara Fajardo.

"He reported that it was just total disaster and chaos, that there were clouds of dust surrounding Port-au-Prince," Fajardo said from the group's offices in Maryland.

State Department spokesman P.J. Crowley said in Washington that U.S. Embassy personnel were "literally in the dark" after power failed.

Maybe, just maybe, Haiti will now receive some very necessary attention.

All I can say is that what has happened is terrible and I am so glad that the hurricane season is over, hopefully much can be done to really help the people there before that is upon them again.

All I can say is that what has happened is terrible and I am so glad that the hurricane season is over, hopefully much can be done to really help the people there before that is upon them again.

Yes, The UN and Dominican Republic should be riding to the rescue.

My condolences to all the families, their hardships as with so many in these events is as Strollingbones says, is overwhelming. :(

I remember walking the streets of Anchorage one day after the 1964 earthquake, seeing the snow covered black/white ripples in the earth flying into Elmendorf AFB. The damage in person makes the personal impact much greater than a picture or video.

Yes, The UN and Dominican Republic should be riding to the rescue.

I think the United States of America will ride to the rescue. What a terrible disaster.

A shallow 7.0 quake like this one is going to be devastating anywhere. And they're still having significant aftershocks to bring down already weakened structures and what's left of the infrastructure. At least the Port-au-Prince airport is currently operational to bring in aid if it can get there in time to make a difference, but it's heartbreaking.

Magnitude 7.0 - HAITI REGION

Latest Earthquakes in the World - Past 7 days

The headline should read:

HELL ON EARTH suffers decline in quality of life from 7.0 earthquake.​

MW, you know I love ya but some things are just not political. They should not be made political. And I doubt anybody, anywhere is saying "Thank God" for this. Take it elsewhere, 'k?

Bet Harry Reid is breathing a sigh of relief.

"Thank God for Haiti!!!!!"

And here...

BTW, this is a horrible tragedy. Those of us wishing to donate, let us look very carefully that our donations actually get to those in need. Unfortunately, the authorities in that place are known for lining their own pockets first. If anyone finds a good RELIABLE charity, I would appreciate it.

These poor people who already got screwed in life's lottery now have to deal with this.

There's no justice in this world.

And here...

BTW, this is a horrible tragedy. Those of us wishing to donate, let us look very carefully that our donations actually get to those in need. Unfortunately, the authorities in that place are known for lining their own pockets first. If anyone finds a good RELIABLE charity, I would appreciate it.
How to help relief efforts for Haiti - Haiti & Caribbean - MiamiHerald.com

These poor people who already got screwed in life's lottery now have to deal with this.

There's no justice in this world.

I hope everyone remembers it's those who have the least that have the most to lose.

They need all the help they can get!

And here...

How to help relief efforts for Haiti - Haiti & Caribbean - MiamiHerald.com

Thank you..MSNBC had a spokesperson for the Salvation Army on just a few minutes ago....I have found them to be honest and reliable in the past.

Forum List

Back