Hair-Brained 'Controversy'

Either side of the Atlantic there is no place as pompous as a school enforcing someones idea of what is appropriate clothing for kids.
Shame that these kids had to make a stand.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2017/05/...schools-hair-extension-policy-discriminatory/

From the Dept. of Absurd 'Racial' Issues: School policy deemed 'racist' for applying to students of all races.

Hair extensions? Really?

Not so much racist as it is patently stupid and arrogant. This is why I took my daughter out of Cali. The schools were like lock-ups there. Treated the kids like inmates..

I take it you don't like the idea of school uniforms?

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2017/05/...schools-hair-extension-policy-discriminatory/

From the Dept. of Absurd 'Racial' Issues: School policy deemed 'racist' for applying to students of all races.

Hair extensions? Really?

Not so much racist as it is patently stupid and arrogant. This is why I took my daughter out of Cali. The schools were like lock-ups there. Treated the kids like inmates..

Uniforms? Not a high rantable topic for me. That's a school decision. I'm talking about ripping out lockers and making 12 year olds carry full book bags from class to class. Because they don't TRUST the kids with lockers. Or with FORKS or to play TAG at break. Might sexually harass or intimidate somebody. It's the Big House out there.

No birthday cupcakes in class. Nothing edible in the cafeteria. Don't you DARE pack stuff your kid can eat for lunch. How they dress and LOOK is a whole 'nother story. I suppose FACIAL TATS are A-OK and "culturally expressive"... But HAIR EXTENSIONS??? REALLY??

Hair extensions? Really?

Uniforms? Not a high rantable topic for me. That's a school decision. I'm talking about ripping out lockers and making 12 year olds carry full book bags from class to class. Because they don't TRUST the kids with lockers. Or with FORKS or to play TAG at break. Might sexually harass or intimidate somebody. It's the Big House out there.

No birthday cupcakes in class. Nothing edible in the cafeteria. Don't you DARE pack stuff your kid can eat for lunch. How they dress and LOOK is a whole 'nother story. I suppose FACIAL TATS are A-OK and "culturally expressive"... But HAIR EXTENSIONS??? REALLY??

Who said anything about all that? The hair extension thing was one of several dress code rules obviously designed to discourage very young girls from showing up at school looking like mini hookers in training. There are not a few mothers in that area who would be only too happy to help their youngsters do so, unfortunately.

Hair extensions? Really?

Who said anything about all that? The hair extension thing was one of several dress code rules obviously designed to discourage very young girls from showing up at school looking like mini hookers in training. There are not a few mothers in that area who would be only too happy to help their youngsters do so, unfortunately.

Young hookers huh? Ain't that a judgement above your paygrade? You run the schools like Gulags -- you'll get both broken spirits and extreme behaviors as they go to higher ed..

These school admin need to STOP "Designing Policies" and focus on ENCOURAGING students to ACHIEVE.

Once you've posted too many signs about what's ILLEGAL -- folks just stop using their judgement muscles. At some point they start IGNORING the signs and policies, AND stop using judgement. Or the parents do..

You know Unk, all this was argued out in the 1970's when guys wanted to have long hair at school and it was not allowed....Courts ruled that it was illegal to tell kids how to wear their hairstyles.

Hair extensions? Really?

Young hookers huh? Ain't that a judgment above your paygrade? .....

No it is not. I know the area very well.

Forum List

Back