Haiku Moments

I used to do these on another forum.

But I've forgotten how.
The technical part of haiku is that it has 17 beats distributed on 3 lines. Line 1 has 5 beats. Line 2 has 7 beats. Line 3 has 5 beats. Those who write the best Haiku really don't have to follow any particular path. You know you love it when you see it, Mindful. Back when I first used the internet, I went to the New York Times Forum. It likely was in the late 90s, but I'm not sure. After a few years, the NYT shut down its Forums, likely due to loss in subscriptions for all the hostility the left had toward President George W. Bush, and NYT only had 1 righty on their staff, who was William Safire, if memory serves me correctly. Anyway, the Haiku Forum had one outstanding poster whose names slips me, but I swear he could draw a tear or warm a heart with the way he used those 17 beats. One was something about a swan. He had no equal to that and other postings, and I do not recall him ever bringing politics into any of his verse. He was a purist, and his use of the English language struck a lovely chord, time after time.

Forum List

Back