Hagel for Secretary of Defense...Yay or Nay?

Nay.

In June 2001, Hagel denounced proposed sanctions on Iran, asserting they “isolate us.”

Nay.

In July 2001, Hagel voted against the Iran-Libya Sanctions Act, which passed 96-2.

Nay.

In June 2004, Hagel refused to sign a letter urging that President Bush highlight Iran’s nuclear program while at the G-8 summit.

Nay.

In August 2006, Hagel refused to sign a letter asking the EU to declare Hezbollah a terrorist organization.

Nay.

In March 2007, Hagel declined to join 72 Senators in supporting a bipartisan sanctions bill called the Iran Counter Proliferation Act.

Nay.

In September 2007, Hagel opposed 76 Senators in voting against designating Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps a terrorist organization.

Nay.

In November 2007, Hagel claimed that “Continued hostile relations between the United States and Iran will have the effect of isolating the United States.”

Nay.

In June 2008, Hagel advocated opening an “American interest section” in Iran. [The last time U.S. diplomats were stationed in Iran, they were held hostage for 444 days.]

Nay.

In July 2008, Hagel voted in the Senate Banking Committee AGAINST legislation imposing sanctions on countries conducting certain business with Iran.

Nay.

In October 2008, Hagel was cited as “solely responsible” for holding up a bipartisan Iran sanctions bill in the Senate that had 72 co-sponsors.

Nay.

In November 2007, Hagel claimed that “Continued hostile relations between the United States and Iran will have the effect of isolating the United States.”

Everything I ever said still holds true today....

....I'm holding you to the same standard too.

I have to admit, I'm a fan. It's been a while since we had a sec def who earned a purple heart on the battlefield.

Obama won the election. He is the President. He should be able to appoint who he wants to be in his cabinet. If he wants Hagle, so be it.

Too bad there is this advice and consent thingy that prevents obama from being a fully realized dictator.

I posted this on another thread about Hagel ...I am posting it again ...this is why I don't like the man.

This Hagel is a non-entity, without any Administrative experience!

He favors appeasement. with Iran...and talks with terrorists organizations like Hamas and Hezbollah!

His remarks about the "intimidatory Jewish Lobby" have a stain of antisemitism about them and don't bode well for relations with Israel!

Hagel's inflammatory views on Israel are more than likely the reason Dictator Obama pick him.

Want me to continue? why he is not a good choice?

correct me if i am wrong, but isn't he being nominated for the secretary of defense of the United States, not the Jewish State.

i always liked the 9th division.

I have to admit, I'm a fan. It's been a while since we had a sec def who earned a purple heart on the battlefield.

Obama won the election. He is the President. He should be able to appoint who he wants to be in his cabinet. If he wants Hagle, so be it.

Too bad there is this advice and consent thingy that prevents obama from being a fully realized dictator.

Well, yes there is but that is rather beside the point is it not?

The president's cabinet is charged with undertaking the presidents orders. In all honesty, their personal opinions on subjects is rather meaningless other than the president taking advice from them. In that regard, even the positions they take are far less meaningful than the presidents faith and trust in those individuals themselves.
I will say that I personally do not understand the idea of the senate approving people that the president is going to direct, independent of the senate's wants or whishes. IOW, these people have no real connection to the senate at all other than the confirmation hearing. The president is going to give the orders and whatever he says (within the confines of the laws) these men are going to carry out.

In that light, I really don't care if Obama want Mickey Mouse carrying out his orders.

This performance doesn't inspire any confidence for me ..

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7F-tEy1CrdE&feature=player_embedded]Hagel: Terrorists attack because they lack hope: Palestinians 'chained down many, many years' - YouTube[/ame]

He seems to be awkwardly condoning muslim atrocities - because 'they have no hope'.

Really ? .. their ongoing Jihad to take over the whole damned planet, and impose their crazy cult on all we infidels, is shrieking their 'hope' right in our faces.

Not while I've got any life left in my body they won't.:flameth:

Looks like your politicians, like our pasty-faced twerps in the UK, are already bowing down and getting their jidza ready to pay their muslim masters off.

Cool 50_RiaL just gave 10 reasons why Hagel should be approved.

Last edited:
I posted this on another thread about Hagel ...I am posting it again ...this is why I don't like the man.

This Hagel is a non-entity, without any Administrative experience!

He favors appeasement. with Iran...and talks with terrorists organizations like Hamas and Hezbollah!

His remarks about the "intimidatory Jewish Lobby" have a stain of antisemitism about them and don't bode well for relations with Israel!

Hagel's inflammatory views on Israel are more than likely the reason Dictator Obama pick him.

Want me to continue? why he is not a good choice?

I think that this is perhaps the exact right time for a man of Hagel's nature to be Sec. of Defence. I think his concern for the lifes of the troops is well documented. I also thik that his overtures to all of the parties in the Middle East maybe what is needed at this time, What we have been doing for the last 60+ years doesn't seem to have brought peace any closer. Also on Israel it seems to me that it is time to rein them in a little as they now thik they have carte blanch ( sp ) to do anything they want. How many times do we have to ask them politly to stop the settlements in order to further peace negotiations, before they act to do so. Maybe the appointment of hagel will give them pause.

Last edited:
Hagel has my vote as well. My observation is Hagel is direct, honest and fiscally conservative. Pretty much everything both major parties have failed at since 1963.

Forum List

Back