Hagel for Secretary of Defense...Yay or Nay?

His combat record is admirable, my hats off to him.

However, if that’s all it took, well, Dole, McCain anyone?

Sec def. is a very high level position with tremendous responsibilities. I am not saying hes not up to it, but he wasn’t exactly a ‘distinguished’ senator.

I am flummoxed at the nomination however in another sense; he has made some curious & problematic statements/comments as to gays, Iran, DADT, Jews, Abortion etc. I am at a loss as to how Obama can nominate him knowing all of this where in just this last election cycle for example, similar comments and views cost folks chances at election as they were roundly criticized by the very same now who appear to sppt. him in this administration.
bob dole is about to turn 90.

john mccain has never run anything bigger than a skyhawk.

ted kennedy was a *distinguished* senator.

I was referring to their past, not necessarily today as an example, both McCain and Dole ( and kennedy) ran for higher office based on long records, Hagel I believe served 2 terms, and yes Kennedy was a “distinguished” senator in that he did author and sponsor a great deal of legislation, whether we agree with it or not I would submit all 3 would probably have been better choices in that respect/context.

hagel has held a number of high level admin positions,including deputy administrator of the va, but even if he hadn't, it's not the secdef's job to run the day to day of the dod. that's for career bureaucrats.

his comments regarding gays were made 15 years ago, and the kind of people who get their panties in a wad over the phrase *jewish lobby* really need to grow the fuck up.

As I said, I am just curious as to why it appears the litmus test thats usually applied pretty brutally as to sensitivity and diversity issues seems to be a non factor? I can't recall a statute of limitations being applied in the past from the very same who have chosen him or support him for this position(?)

Plus his comments on the surge, iran etc...seems dicey to me.

If Hagel is rejected, which won't happen, who do you think Obama will choose? The ramifications of Republicans making a big deal out of this is not worth it.

How on earth could they reject him? On what basis? He is a decorated war hero and a respectable member of congress.

:eusa_angel:

If he keeps his head down, and just keeps keeping on, he's in.

-do you sppt. sanctions on iran?

-"engagement" with Syria?

- DADT being a no go? "The U.S. Armed Forces aren't some social experiment."

-his remark as to the surge being; "the most dangerous foreign policy blunder in this country since Vietnam."

(?)

This Hagel is a non-entity, without any Administrative experience!

incorrect.

He actually has MORE experience as an administrator than either McCain or Kerry, including serving as deputy administrator of the Veteran's Administration.

Wrong. He favors pursuing sanctions through the UN, versus unilateral sanctions, against Iran.

What exactly is so scary to you about having talks with elected governmental representatives from Hamas and Hezbollah? Does not-talking work better, in your book?

Why is it anti-semitic to note that Israel has a powerful lobbying presence in the U.S.? Did you miss the actions of Israel's Prime Minister during the presidential election?

Here's what Hagel said:

It is not the job of U.S. Senators to protect the interests of Israel, it is the job of U.S. Senators to protect the interests of America. Where those interests coincide, well and good, but Israel has been historically the single largest beneficiary of U.S. foreign aid dollars, and the interests of Israel, as a nation, and the interests of the U.S., as a nation, are not always one and the same. Speaking out against Israeli policy is not antisemitism.

You should read up on the term if you have any confusion.

Want me to continue? why he is not a good choice?

It would be helpful if you could post factual information, in the future.

Here's why I support him for sec def:

"We are each a product of our experiences, and my time in combat very much shaped my opinions about war. I'm not a pacifist; I believe in using force, but only after following a very careful decision-making process." — Hagel in an October interview with Vietnam Magazine.been able to do to prevent these individual terrorists from carrying out their murderous attacks." — Brennan in 2012 on ABC's "This Week."

1) I was referring to Administrative experience at a Senior Government level not Junior Government level.

2) About him favoring sanctions through the UN.

Unfortunately the UN can not be relied upon to give the required response because of the way it is constituted with a lot of unfriendly countries repeatedly voting against the US and the West. Also he favors talks.... Iran also favor talks :rolleyes: ...the nuclear talks have been going on for years and look what happens: Iran has taken advantage and today is closer than ever to having a nuclear bomb. Same goes for Hamas and Hezbollah when it comes to talks, totally futile !

3) About his antisemitic quote.

May be I am missing something here but his quote about Israel would indicate an anti Israel and anti semitic stand. The term "jewish lobby" is a favorite phrase of so called anti-Zionists.

Regarding the US Senators job to protect US and not Israel, sure, but you don't seem to realize it is in America's interest to work hand in hand with Israel as a primarily ally in the region, in terms of intelligence, sharing of weapons, etc...

4) Your ending quote about Hagel - "I believe in using force, but only after following a very careful decision-making process." — implies that others which may or may not have had combat experience may feel different.... and that is not the case. Most people want to spare the lives of the Forces whenever possible.

Finally, I have my opinion and you have yours....we are poles apart. That, I understand too. :)

I agree regards the UN sanctioning and administering the sanctions, wasn't "oil for food" a big enough scam where in that lesson was learned? Apparently not.

He's an independent thinker, not a koolaid drinker. I rarely agree with everything a politician has ever done?

+1 the libertarian Republicans favor the man. The Big Government Southern Republicans are oppossed to him. We shall see what happens.

Hoping he gets confirmed. Will be disapponted if he isn't

To the zionutters dismay Hagel puts America's interests before Israel.
He even appears to recognize the dangers of a foreign nation having such a deep infestation.
Wanting Hagel for Sec.of Defense is the best move our beloved Pres. Obama has made while in office.

We will finally have someone who will put U.S. interests and defense first, and not kowtow to the demands of Israel.

Hagel and Obama together will map out a sensible Middle East policy based on reality and not some psychotic zionist fantasy..
:cool:

Since the poster above had insisted the Holocaust never occurred, I'm less than impressed with his discernment and accuracy of perception.

-his remark as to the surge being; "the most dangerous foreign policy blunder in this country since Vietnam."

(?)

Are you under the impression that sec def is a candidate for office, a judge on the supreme court, or the president?

The sec def is like a division director in a major corporation. He reports to a CEO (President) who sets policy. The Sec Def enacts the policies of the CiC. He doesn't create them.

Not appropriate for CDZ. Newby

Last edited by a moderator:
My husband swore an oath to protect and defend this country, even if it costs him his life. But, who in Washington will be willing to protect and defend my husband's life, and not throw it away frivolously?

Frivolously is a very strong word. Can you qualify what you mean. I took the same oath and I have yet to experience frivolous decisions regarding personnel.

Did we have clear mission objectives in Iraq, definitive proof that Iraq posed a threat to our national security, and a workable exit strategy?

That's what I mean when I say frivolous. The year that my husband spent in Tikrit was a huge waste, and a waste of the men who served there who died.

I understand that you may not see it like that, But Hagel was one of the few independent-minded Republicans that didn't just swim along like a lemming into that conflict.

Fortunately for Hagel experience in obamas royal court isn't necessary. Just a willingness to kiss ass.

I have to admit, I'm a fan. It's been a while since we had a sec def who earned a purple heart on the battlefield.

Yeah man! He'll continue to hold hands with Obama and drone strike brown people and kill innocent men, women, and children. HECK YEAH BRO!!!!! War for profit rulessss!!!!

Last edited:
Did we have clear mission objectives in Iraq, definitive proof that Iraq posed a threat to our national security, and a workable exit strategy?

That's what I mean when I say frivolous. The year that my husband spent in Tikrit was a huge waste, and a waste of the men who served there who died.

I understand that you may not see it like that, But Hagel was one of the few independent-minded Republicans that didn't just swim along like a lemming into that conflict.

Many have differing opinions that is to be expected. I am choosing to rely on Judith Yaphe, who specialized in the Middle East for 20 years at the CIA. When this issue was addressed she was a senior research fellow at the National Defense University in Washington, for her answer on this issue.

When asked "why was Tikrit such a critical stronghold for the U.S. to take?"

Ms. Yaphe responded, "two reasons, first of all probably the last city area that hasn't fallen under you know fallen to the war. But then there is the symbolic importance which is Tikrit and the area around it is not just Saddam Hussein's home area but also that of most of the people in his regime that he relied on -- the pillars of his regime. Most of the Republican Guard, the special Republican Guard bodyguard units came from there and most of the extended family had homes there. A palace and also a big military compound."

Tikrit: The Last Stronghold | PBS NewsHour | April 13, 2003 | PBS

(?)

Are you under the impression that sec def is a candidate for office, a judge on the supreme court, or the president?

The sec def is like a division director in a major corporation. He reports to a CEO (President) who sets policy. The Sec Def enacts the policies of the CiC. He doesn't create them.

Thanks for playing, though.

yes I am quite aware of that, do you have an opinion on Hagels opinion(s) on the issues I listed?

Is it your contention that none of those issues are/should be topics drawing at least clarifying questions during advise and consent ?

I have to admit, I'm a fan. It's been a while since we had a sec def who earned a purple heart on the battlefield.

Obama won the election. He is the President. He should be able to appoint who he wants to be in his cabinet. If he wants Hagle, so be it.

agreed- the c in c gets to choose his Cabinet.

Hagel has done nothing or said nothing that we know of that disqualifys him, nor do I beleive that the advise and consent process is the place for a filibuster or a 'hold' either.

He actually voted yes for the Iraqi War.

As for the surge, he "opposed it" vocally, yet curiously supported obstructing debate on the issue on the Senate floor:eusa_think:. ( He was most obviously wrong as to the surge, so, in effect he was wrong on Iraq twice).

He was also 1 of only 11 senators who refused to sign a senate letter to be forwarded to the EU encouraging them to recognize/designate Hezbollah as a Terrorist Organization.

Forum List

Back