Hagel for Secretary of Defense...Yay or Nay?

Who cares about party? They are both Anti-American and Anti-Life.

The real story is how can someone who is clearly Pro-American-Life be nominated by an administration that is Anti-American-Life?

This is the most bizarre politics I've ever seen.
I smell a set-up.

Perhaps your entire paradigm is wrong.

How so?
Please elaborate, I am genuinely interested.

What is it about Hagel?
This is the first time I've ever seen baby-haters willing to accept a Pro-American-Life nomination of any sort.
I admit, I just don't get it. I cannot help being suspicious.

Is it pro-life to send thousands of American military personnel, the overwhelming majority between the ages of 18 and 24, into a war without clear goals and a clear exit strategy, and kill thousands of them?

Is it pro-life to create a system of secret prisons and "interrogation facilities" where the Geneva Protocols are routinely violated?

Is it pro-life to initiate a war that will kill and maim hundreds of thousands of people without strong and clear evidence that this war is necessary for our national survival?

I think your view of pro-life is too narrow, since it apparently begins with conception and ends with birth.

But, as the wife of a Navy officer who served a year in Tikrit, I consider it a pro-life position to protect the lives of our military personnel and not allow them to be thrown away without a damned good reason, and certainly not for political gain.

I understand, again, as the wife of a Navy officer, that America needs a strong defense. I get that on a level that perhaps many people who don't have a spouse serving in the military will never grasp. But, we should not be putting our forces in harm's way lightly, and one thing I appreciate about Hagel is that I believe he will put the interests of our troops above political agendas.

My husband swore an oath to protect and defend this country, even if it costs him his life. But, who in Washington will be willing to protect and defend my husband's life, and not throw it away frivolously?

As sec def, Hagel will have little impact on the abortion debate. But, he will have a potentially huge impact on the lives of our military service personnel and he's a far better choice than some of the alternatives that have been proposed.

In short, I'm pro-life enough to not want to see a hawk in the Sec Def role.

Last edited:
It is amazing how Hagel's record on abortion and homosexuals suddenly doesn't matter.

Why would it? Is he going to be overseeing abortion policy? As secretary of defense, he will be charged with implementing his CiC's orders, not creating his own policies on abortion or homosexuality.

His role as sec def is to advise the president on matters of military preparedness and war.

I'm quite certain that Hagel will leave the abortion and gay debate to others.

Hagel is the perfect choice for Obama. He appears to cross the aisle and now Republicans have to stop the appointment of their own. Time to wise up.

Perhaps your entire paradigm is wrong.

How so?
Please elaborate, I am genuinely interested.

What is it about Hagel?
This is the first time I've ever seen baby-haters willing to accept a Pro-American-Life nomination of any sort.
I admit, I just don't get it. I cannot help being suspicious.

Is it pro-life to send thousands of American military personnel, the overwhelming majority between the ages of 18 and 24, into a war without clear goals and a clear exit strategy, and kill thousands of them?

Is it pro-life to create a system of secret prisons and "interrogation facilities" where the Geneva Protocols are routinely violated?

Is it pro-life to initiate a war that will kill and maim hundreds of thousands of people without strong and clear evidence that this war is necessary for our national survival?

I think your view of pro-life is too narrow, since it apparently begins with conception and ends with birth.

But, as the wife of a Navy officer who served a year in Tikrit, I consider it a pro-life position to protect the lives of our military personnel and not allow them to be thrown away without a damned good reason, and certainly not for political gain.

I understand, again, as the wife of a Navy officer, that America needs a strong defense. I get that on a level that perhaps many people who don't have a spouse serving in the military will never grasp. But, we should not be putting our forces in harm's way lightly, and one thing I appreciate about Hagel is that I believe he will put the interests of our troops above political agendas.

My husband swore an oath to protect and defend this country, even if it costs him his life. But, who in Washington will be willing to protect and defend my husband's life, and not throw it away frivolously?

As sec def, Hagel will have little impact on the abortion debate. But, he will have a potentially huge impact on the lives of our military service personnel and he's a far better choice than some of the alternatives that have been proposed.

In short, I'm pro-life enough to not want to see a hawk in the Sec Def role.

^ this...well said!

This Hagel is a non-entity, without any Administrative experience!

incorrect.

EXPERIENCE — Chairman of the Atlantic Council and the United States of America Vietnam War Commemoration Advisory Committee; co-chairman of the President's Intelligence Advisory Board and member of the Defense Policy Board. U.S. senator, 1997-2009; president, McCarthy & Co., an investment banking firm based in Omaha, Neb., 1992-1996; president and chief executive officer of the Private Sector Council, a nonprofit business organization in Washington, D.C., 1990-1992; co-founder, director and executive vice president of Vanguard Cellular Systems Inc. and chairman of Communications Corporation International LTD, 1985-1987; co-founder, director and president of Collins, Hagel & Clarke Inc., an international consulting, marketing and investment company involved in cellular telecommunications, 1982-1985; deputy administrator, U.S. Veterans Administration, 1981-1982; manager of government affairs, Firestone Tire & Rubber Co., 1977-1980; assistant to Rep. John Y. McCollister, R-Neb., 1971-1977; newscaster and talk-show host in Nebraska, 1969-1971; Army, including service in Vietnam, 1967-1968.

He actually has MORE experience as an administrator than either McCain or Kerry, including serving as deputy administrator of the Veteran's Administration.

He favors appeasement. with Iran...and talks with terrorists organizations like Hamas and Hezbollah!

Wrong. He favors pursuing sanctions through the UN, versus unilateral sanctions, against Iran.

What exactly is so scary to you about having talks with elected governmental representatives from Hamas and Hezbollah? Does not-talking work better, in your book?

His remarks about the "intimidatory Jewish Lobby" have a stain of antisemitism about them and don't bode well for relations with Israel!

Why is it anti-semitic to note that Israel has a powerful lobbying presence in the U.S.? Did you miss the actions of Israel's Prime Minister during the presidential election?

Here's what Hagel said:

The concern over Hagel largely centers on his record as a senator during the George W. Bush administration, when Hagel declined to sign a letter urging the European Union to designate Hezbollah as a terrorist organization. In a 2006 interview with Aaron David Miller, a former State Department Middle East peace negotiator, Hagel said, “The Jewish lobby intimidates a lot of people up here.” In the interview, he said he would often decline to sign letters from this lobby because, “I’m a United States senator. I’m not an Israeli senator.” His critics have seized on this interview to say Hagel harbors anti-Semitic notions about Jews being disloyal or foreign agents. Abraham Foxman, the national director of the Anti-Defamation League, said last month the remark was “borderline anti-Semitic.”

It is not the job of U.S. Senators to protect the interests of Israel, it is the job of U.S. Senators to protect the interests of America. Where those interests coincide, well and good, but Israel has been historically the single largest beneficiary of U.S. foreign aid dollars, and the interests of Israel, as a nation, and the interests of the U.S., as a nation, are not always one and the same. Speaking out against Israeli policy is not antisemitism.

You should read up on the term if you have any confusion.

Want me to continue? why he is not a good choice?

It would be helpful if you could post factual information, in the future.

Here's why I support him for sec def:

"We are each a product of our experiences, and my time in combat very much shaped my opinions about war. I'm not a pacifist; I believe in using force, but only after following a very careful decision-making process." — Hagel in an October interview with Vietnam Magazine.been able to do to prevent these individual terrorists from carrying out their murderous attacks." — Brennan in 2012 on ABC's "This Week."

Last edited:

"We are each a product of our experiences, and my time in combat very much shaped my opinions about war. I'm not a pacifist; I believe in using force, but only after following a very careful decision-making process." — Hagel in an October interview with Vietnam Magazine.been able to do to prevent these individual terrorists from carrying out their murderous attacks." — Brennan in 2012 on ABC's "This Week."
Hagel is exactly the type of person we need as Sec. of Defense......... :eusa_clap:

Might be a bit easier to cut the defense budget with someone who sees the military as a last resort. Any serious talks about spending cuts must include defense.

It is amazing how Hagel's record on abortion and homosexuals suddenly doesn't matter.

Why would it? Is he going to be overseeing abortion policy? As secretary of defense, he will be charged with implementing his CiC's orders, not creating his own policies on abortion or homosexuality.

His role as sec def is to advise the president on matters of military preparedness and war.

I'm quite certain that Hagel will leave the abortion and gay debate to others.

Let me guess, if Romney was president and decided to appoint Chuck "No Abortions for Rape Victims" Hagel as Secretary of Defense no one would even bring that up.

Let me guess, if Romney was president and decided to appoint Chuck "No Abortions for Rape Victims" Hagel as Secretary of Defense no one would even bring that up.

If romney was president, we'd already have bombed Iran, and my husband would be looking at another middle east deployment.

Thanks for the opportunity to count my blessings again.

If romney was president, we'd already have bombed Iran, and my husband would be looking at another middle east deployment.

I'm a big fan of anyone who realizes that boots on the ground ought to be a last resort, not a first response.

If Hagel is rejected, which won't happen, who do you think Obama will choose? The ramifications of Republicans making a big deal out of this is not worth it.

If a Republican nomination can piss off another Republican, there has to be some thing worthwhile about the nominee.

If Hagel is rejected, which won't happen, who do you think Obama will choose? The ramifications of Republicans making a big deal out of this is not worth it.

How on earth could they reject him? On what basis? He is a decorated war hero and a respectable member of congress.

:eusa_angel:

If he keeps his head down, and just keeps keeping on, he's in.

Every cloud has a silver lining. Reduce the size of the military means fewer fighters taking orders from obama.

I'm a big fan of anyone who realizes that boots on the ground ought to be a last resort, not a first response.

In other words, yes.

He doesn't have to worry about Republicans, he has to worry about whether the left wing gets involved.

Yay! Let's all have cake now.

That does it, I'm going to have to make brownies tonight. Wonder if Mrs. Liberty is going to reheat the Quiche I made this morning at 6 blessed AM and pass it off as dinner?

Last edited:
Obama was re-elected. Unfortunately that can't be changed.
Having won he gets to choose his cabinet. I believe a president has the right to choose whomever he wishes, short of some tyrant or enemy of the USA.

I just wish people would change their party before they defect. Like Charlie Crist.

I would not be shocked one bit if Gov Christie changes party...
I would be shocked if he doesn't :eusa_shhh:

This Hagel is a non-entity, without any Administrative experience!

incorrect.

EXPERIENCE — Chairman of the Atlantic Council and the United States of America Vietnam War Commemoration Advisory Committee; co-chairman of the President's Intelligence Advisory Board and member of the Defense Policy Board. U.S. senator, 1997-2009; president, McCarthy & Co., an investment banking firm based in Omaha, Neb., 1992-1996; president and chief executive officer of the Private Sector Council, a nonprofit business organization in Washington, D.C., 1990-1992; co-founder, director and executive vice president of Vanguard Cellular Systems Inc. and chairman of Communications Corporation International LTD, 1985-1987; co-founder, director and president of Collins, Hagel & Clarke Inc., an international consulting, marketing and investment company involved in cellular telecommunications, 1982-1985; deputy administrator, U.S. Veterans Administration, 1981-1982; manager of government affairs, Firestone Tire & Rubber Co., 1977-1980; assistant to Rep. John Y. McCollister, R-Neb., 1971-1977; newscaster and talk-show host in Nebraska, 1969-1971; Army, including service in Vietnam, 1967-1968.

He actually has MORE experience as an administrator than either McCain or Kerry, including serving as deputy administrator of the Veteran's Administration.

Wrong. He favors pursuing sanctions through the UN, versus unilateral sanctions, against Iran.

What exactly is so scary to you about having talks with elected governmental representatives from Hamas and Hezbollah? Does not-talking work better, in your book?

Why is it anti-semitic to note that Israel has a powerful lobbying presence in the U.S.? Did you miss the actions of Israel's Prime Minister during the presidential election?

Here's what Hagel said:

The concern over Hagel largely centers on his record as a senator during the George W. Bush administration, when Hagel declined to sign a letter urging the European Union to designate Hezbollah as a terrorist organization. In a 2006 interview with Aaron David Miller, a former State Department Middle East peace negotiator, Hagel said, “The Jewish lobby intimidates a lot of people up here.” In the interview, he said he would often decline to sign letters from this lobby because, “I’m a United States senator. I’m not an Israeli senator.” His critics have seized on this interview to say Hagel harbors anti-Semitic notions about Jews being disloyal or foreign agents. Abraham Foxman, the national director of the Anti-Defamation League, said last month the remark was “borderline anti-Semitic.”

It is not the job of U.S. Senators to protect the interests of Israel, it is the job of U.S. Senators to protect the interests of America. Where those interests coincide, well and good, but Israel has been historically the single largest beneficiary of U.S. foreign aid dollars, and the interests of Israel, as a nation, and the interests of the U.S., as a nation, are not always one and the same. Speaking out against Israeli policy is not antisemitism.

You should read up on the term if you have any confusion.

Want me to continue? why he is not a good choice?

It would be helpful if you could post factual information, in the future.

1) I was referring to Administrative experience at a Senior Government level not Junior Government level.

2) About him favoring sanctions through the UN.

Unfortunately the UN can not be relied upon to give the required response because of the way it is constituted with a lot of unfriendly countries repeatedly voting against the US and the West. Also he favors talks.... Iran also favor talks :rolleyes: ...the nuclear talks have been going on for years and look what happens: Iran has taken advantage and today is closer than ever to having a nuclear bomb. Same goes for Hamas and Hezbollah when it comes to talks, totally futile !

3) About his antisemitic quote.

May be I am missing something here but his quote about Israel would indicate an anti Israel and anti semitic stand. The term "jewish lobby" is a favorite phrase of so called anti-Zionists.

Regarding the US Senators job to protect US and not Israel, sure, but you don't seem to realize it is in America's interest to work hand in hand with Israel as a primarily ally in the region, in terms of intelligence, sharing of weapons, etc...

4) Your ending quote about Hagel - "I believe in using force, but only after following a very careful decision-making process." — implies that others which may or may not have had combat experience may feel different.... and that is not the case. Most people want to spare the lives of the Forces whenever possible.

Finally, I have my opinion and you have yours....we are poles apart. That, I understand too. :)

Forum List

Back