Hadith

S

skhaldi

Narrated 'Abdullah bin Mas'ud:

I visited Allah's Apostle while he was suffering from a high fever. I touched him with my hand and said, "O Allah's Apostle! You have a high fever." Allah's Apostle said, "Yes, I have as much fever as two men of you have." I said, "Is it because you will get a double reward?" Allah's Apostle said, "Yes, no Muslim is afflicted with harm because of sickness or some other inconvenience, but that Allah will remove his sins for him as a tree sheds its leaves."

Narrated Al-Walid bin 'Aizar:

I heard Abi Amr 'Ash-Shaibani saying, "The owner of this house." he pointed to 'Abdullah's house, "said, 'I asked the Prophet 'Which deed is loved most by Allah?" He replied, 'To offer prayers at their early (very first) stated times.' " 'Abdullah asked, "What is the next (in goodness)?" The Prophet said, "To be good and dutiful to one's parents," 'Abdullah asked, "What is the next (in goodness)?" The Prophet said, To participate in Jihad for Allah's Cause." 'Abdullah added, "The Prophet narrated to me these three things, and if I had asked more, he would have told me more."

Note: Jihad means literally to struggle. This term has been thrown around in the media so much that the truth has been lost. This can be a struggle with an enemy of Allah, with yourself (for example struggling to quite smoking), or with anything that is done in order to better yourself in the eyes of Allah.

"Allah does not forbid you respecting those who have not made war against you on account of (your) religion, and have not driven you forth from your homes, that you show them kindness and deal with them justly; surely Allah loves the doers of justice."
Surah 60 Verse 08

Interesting...

note: Yeah, jihad means literally "to struggle." But why has it been taken to mean "holy war"? Is that part of its meaning?

I've heard that in the language of some native Alaskans there are over 100 different words for snow/water and its various other forms.

I got this from the Muslim Student Association website at the University of Southern California. I think this explaination is better than what I ever could tell you. I hope it helps :)

It is an Arabic word the root of which is Jahada, which means to strive for a better way of life. The nouns are Juhd, Mujahid, Jihad, and Ijtihad. The other meanings are: endeavor, strain, exertion, effort, diligence, fighting to defend one's life, land, and religion.

Jihad should not be confused with Holy War; the latter does not exist in Islam nor will Islam allow its followers to be involved in a Holy War. The latter refers to the Holy War of the Crusaders.

Jihad is not a war to force the faith on others, as many people think of it. It should never be interpreted as a way of compulsion of the belief on others, since there is an explicit verse in the Qur'an that says:"There is no compulsion in religion" Al-Qur'an: Al-Baqarah (2:256).

Jihad is not a defensive war only, but a war against any unjust regime. If such a regime exists, a war is to be waged against the leaders, but not against the people of that country. People should be freed from the unjust regimes and influences so that they can freely choose to believe in Allah.

Not only in peace but also in war Islam prohibits terrorism, kidnapping, and hijacking, when carried against civilians. Whoever commits such violations is considered a murderer in Islam, and is to be punished by the Islamic state. during wars, Islam prohibits Muslim soldiers from harming civilians, women, children, elderly, and the religious men like priests and rabies. It also prohibits cutting down trees and destroying civilian constructions.

Originally posted by skhaldi
I got this from the Muslim Student Association website at the University of Southern California. I think this explaination is better than what I ever could tell you. I hope it helps :)

It is an Arabic word the root of which is Jahada, which means to strive for a better way of life. The nouns are Juhd, Mujahid, Jihad, and Ijtihad. The other meanings are: endeavor, strain, exertion, effort, diligence, fighting to defend one's life, land, and religion.

Jihad should not be confused with Holy War; the latter does not exist in Islam nor will Islam allow its followers to be involved in a Holy War. The latter refers to the Holy War of the Crusaders.

Jihad is not a war to force the faith on others, as many people think of it. It should never be interpreted as a way of compulsion of the belief on others, since there is an explicit verse in the Qur'an that says:"There is no compulsion in religion" Al-Qur'an: Al-Baqarah (2:256).

Jihad is not a defensive war only, but a war against any unjust regime. If such a regime exists, a war is to be waged against the leaders, but not against the people of that country. People should be freed from the unjust regimes and influences so that they can freely choose to believe in Allah.

Not only in peace but also in war Islam prohibits terrorism, kidnapping, and hijacking, when carried against civilians. Whoever commits such violations is considered a murderer in Islam, and is to be punished by the Islamic state. during wars, Islam prohibits Muslim soldiers from harming civilians, women, children, elderly, and the religious men like priests and rabies. It also prohibits cutting down trees and destroying civilian constructions.

the prophet said at the conquest of mecca:(there is no migration now,but only jihad,fighting for the cause of islam.when you are asked to set out on a jihad expedition,you should readily do so."muslim c20b1n4597

"allah's apostle said,'i have been made victorious with terror."
bukhari v4b52n220

"i shall terrorize the infidels.so wound their bodies and incapacitate them because they oppose allah and his apostle."
quran 8:12

"Allah does not forbid you respecting those who have not made war against you on account of (your) religion, and have not driven you forth from your homes, that you show them kindness and deal with them justly; surely Allah loves the doers of justice."
Surah 60 Aya 08
- Basically saying you can live peacefully with someone as long as they do not oppress you from practicing your religion

"And fight them on until there is no more Tumult or oppression, and there prevail justice and faith in Allah; but if they cease, Let there be no hostility except to those who practise oppression."
Surah 2 Aya193
- This is basically saying fight if you are being oppressed and once the oppression has stopped cease the fight and only attack those who oppress you.

Jihad can be used when struggling against your enemies but the above verse describes what an enemy is and that is someone who has made war with you on account of your religion.
- So say you are a non-believer...I can't just kill you for no reason, but if for some reason you oppress me from practicing my religion then I can declare Jihad because I would struggle/fight you because you are preventing me from serving Allah.
- See as a Muslim we are not allowed to attack unless we are attacked first.

do you want the verses dealing with raping female prisoners?
using torture?terrorism?killing muslims who convert?muslims not being held responsible for killing non-believers?jihad and holy war and numerous examples as applied by mohammed?human slavery and slave rape?raiding and stealing from non-believers?lying allowed in the koran,hadith and life of mohammed?pedophilia?back breaking tax levied on non-believers (up to 50%)?beating women?women are deficient in mind and value?

which should we cover first?

Please only lets discuss one subject at a time. All of these are very important to understand and therefore I do not want any of them to be lost in discussion. We can start with whatever you want to, but please if you cite a hadith show in the Quran where that is supported. Only the Quran is the true word of God and in the Quran is the final rulings on all things. Some hadiths mention things that took place before Mohammed (peace be upon him) received a revelation and therefore is abrogated and not looked upon anymore. Also, I will try to reply as quickly as possible, but since I am not an expert sometimes I will have to consult a scholar and see what they say. Also, know that at some point I may get something wrong. I am only human and can only give you my interpretation. So please do not look only to me for answering your questions on Islam but to a variety of more knowlegable scholars in order for you to get a broader understanding. I hope I can give everyone a glimpse into this religion and help you make sense of many of the things that at first seem negative.
Thanks!

Question :

A Christian colleague of mine asked me why the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) married ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her) when she was nine years old and he was nearly sixty, and was he intimate with her at that age or what? In fact I do not know how to respond to that.

Answer :

Praise be to Allaah.

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) married ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her) after he married Sawdah bint Zam’ah (may Allaah be pleased with her). She – ‘Aa’ishah – was the only virgin whom he (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) married. And he consummated the marriage with her when she was nine years old.

Among her virtues was the fact that the Revelation did not descend when he under one cover with any of his wives other than her. She was one of the dearest of all people to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), and news of her innocence was revealed from above the seven heavens. She was one of the most knowledgeable of his wives, and one of the most knowledgeable women of the ummah as a whole. The senior companions of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to refer to her opinion and consult her.

With regard to the story of her marriage, the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) had grieved over the death of the Mother of the Believers Khadeejah, who had supported him and stood by his side, and he called the year in which she died The Year of Sorrow. Then he (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) married Sawdah, who was an older woman and was not very beautiful; rather he married her to console her after her husband had died and she stayed among mushrik people. Four years later the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) married ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her), and he was over fifty. Perhaps the reasons for the marriage were as follows:

1 – He saw a dream about marrying her. It is proven in al-Bukhaari from the hadeeth of ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said to her: “You were shown to me twice in a dream. I saw that you were wrapped in a piece of silk, and it was said, ‘This is your wife.’ I uncovered her and saw that it was you. I said, ‘If this is from Allaah then it will come to pass.’” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, no. 3682). As to whether this is a prophetic vision as it appears to be, or a regular dream that may be subject to interpretation, there was a difference of opinion among the scholars, as mentioned by al-Haafiz in Fath al-Baari, 9/181.

2 – The characteristics of intelligence and smartness that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) had noticed in ‘Aa’ishah even as a small child, so he wanted to marry her so that she would be more able than others to transmit reports of what he did and said. In fact, as stated above, she was a reference point for the Sahaabah (may Allaah be pleased with them) with regard to their affairs and rulings.

3 – The love of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) for her father Abu Bakr (may Allaah be pleased with him), and the persecution that Abu Bakr (may Allaah be pleased with him) had suffered for the sake of the call of truth, which he bore with patience. He was the strongest of people in faith and the most sincere in certain faith, after the Prophets.

It may be noted that among his wives were those who were young and old, the daughter of his sworn enemy, the daughter of his closest friend. One of them occupied herself with raising orphans, another distinguished herself from others by fasting and praying qiyaam a great deal… They represented all kinds of people, through whom the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) was able to set out a way for the Muslims showing how to deal properly with all kinds of people. [See al-Seerah al-Nabawiyyah fi Daw’ al-Masaadir al-Asliyyah, p. 711].

With regard to the issue of her being young and your being confused about that, you should note that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) grew up in a hot country, the Arabian Peninsula. Usually in hot countries adolescence comes early and people marry early. This is how the people of Arabia were until recently. Moreover, women vary greatly in their development and their physical readiness for marriage.

If you think – may Allaah guide you – that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) did not marry any virgin other than ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her), and that all his other wives had been previously married, this will refute the notion spread by many hostile sources, that the basic motive behind the Prophet’s marriages was physical desire and enjoyment of women, because if that was his intention he would have chosen only those who were virgins and beautiful etc.

Such slanders against the Prophet of Mercy (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) by kaafirs and others of their ilk, are indicative of their inability to find fault with the law and religion that he brought from Allaah, so they try to find ways to criticize Islam with regard to issues that are not related to sharee’ah.

And Allaah is the Source of strength. May Allaah send blessings and peace upon our Prophet Muhammad and his family and companions.

For more information see Zaad al-Ma’aad, 1/106.

1.why was mohammed allowed more than 4 wives?
2.don't you believe a 53 year old man having sex with a 9 year old girl is wrong?
3.mohammed forced women to have sex with him(rape) and his followers,don't you think this is wrong?
4.mohammed married his adopted sons wife,don't you believe that was wrong?
5.mohammed committed adultery by having sex with married captive women in front of their husbands,don't you think this is wrong?

Please give me the hadith and the verse from the Quran so that I can better know what you are talking about. I will give you the information I have looked up so far on some of your previous questions, but please only ask one at a time.

And all married women (are forbidden unto you) save those (captives) whom your right hands possess. It is a decree of Allah for you. Lawful unto you are all beyond those mentioned, so that ye seek them with your wealth in honest wedlock, not debauchery. And those of whom ye seek content (by marrying them) give unto them their portions as a duty. And there is no sin for you in what ye do by mutual agreement after the duty (hath been done). Lo! Allah is ever Knower, Wise.
Surah 4 Aya 24

This verse was revealed to the prophet when women were taken captive and his companions were wondering if they were permissible to marry.
- What this verse is saying is that all married women are forbidden to marry, except those take captive.
- Captive women are considered unmarried. This is because we would rather a women be married to a Muslim than to an non-muslim
- A second point this verse makes is that men must "seek them with your wealth in honest wedlock."
- This means the women must consent to marriage before the man can have sexual intercourse.
- We can see that a women must give her consent in the following hadith by Muslim....

. Book 008, Number 3308:
Sufyan reported on the basis of the same chain of transmitters (and the words are): A woman who has been previously married (Thayyib) has more right to her person than her guardian; and a virgin's father must ask her consent from her, her consent being her silence, At times he said: Her silence is her affirmation
- What this hadith is stating is that a woman who has previously married has the right to consent for herself. While a virgin's consent comes from her father. A virgin gives her consent by not speaking up.
- In another hadith that I just read but can't seem to place right now states that a virgin was given in marriage without her consent and she went to the prophet (peace be upon him) and told him she did not want to be married. Upon hearing this the prophet (peace be upon him) anulled the marriage.

Here is the information I got about the poll tax according to Islam. Please tell me where in the Quran or Hadith it states that the tax is backbreaking or as high as 50%. Please do not state what past or presents governments are doing because they are human and never is anything done perfectly according to Allah’s will.

Jizyah – tax paid by non-Muslims living in a Muslim State. Since the non-Muslims are exempt from military service and taxes imposed on Muslims, they must pay this tax to compensate. It guarentees them security and protection. If the State cannot protect those who paid jizyah, then the amount they paid is returned to them.

The Jizya or poll tax is a personal tax levied on non-Muslims in a Muslim State, and as such it resembles the Zakat (Alms Tax) which is levied on Muslim citizens by the Muslim State. The poll tax is levied so that all the capable non-Muslim citizens of the State can contribute, each from his own money, to the general welfare of the State, and that in return for this, they can enjoy their rights as nationals of this State, including compensation from the Muslim Exchecquer when they are in need.
Valour and mercy are not forgotten here, as the poll tax is not collected from the weak and poor. In his message to the people of Hira, Khaled Ibn Al-Walid says, "When a person is too old to work or suffers a handicap, or when he falls into poverty, he is free from the dues of the pull tax; his sustenance is provided by the Muslim Exchequer." In his book "Al-Kharaj," Abu Yusuf says, "No Jizya is due on females or young infants."
When these people pay the dues of the poll tax, they have to be supported, protected, granted a freedom of faith, and treated on a footing of justice and equality with Muslims. They are called "Zimmis" (the Arabic origin, "Zimma," meaning security, protection and custody) because the said rights are guaranteed by God and His Apostle, and such was the custom the Muslim leaders followed in dealing with the Zimmins. In his book "Futooh Al-Buldan" (Conquests of Countries), Al-Balathiri comments on this saying, "Khaled Ibn Al-Walid, on entering Damascus as a conqueror, offered a guarantee of security to its people and their properties and churches, and promised that the wall of the city would not be pulled down, and none of their houses be demolished. It was a guarantee of God, he said, and of the Caliph and all believers to keep them safe and secure on condition they paid the dues of the Jizya."
The poll tax is a small sum of money indeed when compared to the services the Muslim State offers to protect the Zimmis and support the army in charge to keep them safe from others' assaults. In his book "Al-Kharaj," Abu Yusuf gives the following reports: "After getting on peaceful terms with the people of Syria and collecting the dues of the Jizya and the Kharaj, news reached Abu 'Ubeida that the Byzantines had amassed their troops to attack him. The effect of this was great on Abu 'Ubeida and the Moslesm. He sent messages to the rulers of cities with whose citizens he had made peace, asking them to return to their subjects the paid dues of the Jizya and Kharaj, with an instruction to tell these: 'We hereby return to you the money you have paid us, because of the news of the enemy troops amassed to attack us, but, if God grants us victory against the enemy, we will keep up to the promise and covenant between us.' When this was delivered to the Zimmis and their money returned to them, they told the Muslims: May God bring you back to us and grant you victory over them!"
In his book, "The Spirit of Laws," on dealing with the taxes levied by the government, Montesqieu says, "Such levied taxes were one reason for the strange facility which the Muslims faced during conquests. People, then, preferred -- instead of being subjected to an endless series of fines which entered the rich imagination of greedy rulers -- to submit to the payment of a minimal tax which can be fulfilled and paid with ease."

Wa ailakoum salam. I hope maybe I can at least open some people's eyes to how beautiful Islam is. I was in the same position only two years ago and I believed that the only purpose to Islam was violence and hatred. Thankfully I had an open mind and was willing to listen instead of always talk. I hope that maybe someone on this message board will also be open-minded.

Originally posted by Sir Evil
Yep, and yours is proof of that!:D

Are you feeling a bit constipated? Your eyes are starting to turn brown.

Just because you don't understand something is not a reason to fear it.

Wa ailakoum salam. I hope maybe I can at least open some people's eyes to how beautiful Islam is. I was in the same position only two years ago and I believed that the only purpose to Islam was violence and hatred. Thankfully I had an open mind and was willing to listen instead of always talk. I hope that maybe someone on this message board will also be open-minded.

I apologize for the ignorance and lack of courtesy shown by others posting here.

Originally posted by Bullypulpit
I apologize for the ignorance and lack of courtesy shown by others posting here.

Well. So, maybe the reason you hate Bush so much is that you are a terrorist sympathiser.

Are you a practicing muslim as well?

-Oh wait. you already said you want to promote the religion.

Forum List

Back