Hadith

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by skhaldi, Apr 17, 2004.

1. skhaldi

skhaldi Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Narrated 'Abdullah bin Mas'ud:

I visited Allah's Apostle while he was suffering from a high fever. I touched him with my hand and said, "O Allah's Apostle! You have a high fever." Allah's Apostle said, "Yes, I have as much fever as two men of you have." I said, "Is it because you will get a double reward?" Allah's Apostle said, "Yes, no Muslim is afflicted with harm because of sickness or some other inconvenience, but that Allah will remove his sins for him as a tree sheds its leaves."

2. skhaldi

skhaldi Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Narrated Al-Walid bin 'Aizar:

I heard Abi Amr 'Ash-Shaibani saying, "The owner of this house." he pointed to 'Abdullah's house, "said, 'I asked the Prophet 'Which deed is loved most by Allah?" He replied, 'To offer prayers at their early (very first) stated times.' " 'Abdullah asked, "What is the next (in goodness)?" The Prophet said, "To be good and dutiful to one's parents," 'Abdullah asked, "What is the next (in goodness)?" The Prophet said, To participate in Jihad for Allah's Cause." 'Abdullah added, "The Prophet narrated to me these three things, and if I had asked more, he would have told me more."

Note: Jihad means literally to struggle. This term has been thrown around in the media so much that the truth has been lost. This can be a struggle with an enemy of Allah, with yourself (for example struggling to quite smoking), or with anything that is done in order to better yourself in the eyes of Allah.

3. skhaldi

skhaldi Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    "Allah does not forbid you respecting those who have not made war against you on account of (your) religion, and have not driven you forth from your homes, that you show them kindness and deal with them justly; surely Allah loves the doers of justice."
    Surah 60 Verse 08

4. nycflasher

nycflasher Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Interesting...

note: Yeah, jihad means literally "to struggle." But why has it been taken to mean "holy war"? Is that part of its meaning?

I've heard that in the language of some native Alaskans there are over 100 different words for snow/water and its various other forms.

5. skhaldi

skhaldi Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I got this from the Muslim Student Association website at the University of Southern California. I think this explaination is better than what I ever could tell you. I hope it helps :)

It is an Arabic word the root of which is Jahada, which means to strive for a better way of life. The nouns are Juhd, Mujahid, Jihad, and Ijtihad. The other meanings are: endeavor, strain, exertion, effort, diligence, fighting to defend one's life, land, and religion.

Jihad should not be confused with Holy War; the latter does not exist in Islam nor will Islam allow its followers to be involved in a Holy War. The latter refers to the Holy War of the Crusaders.

Jihad is not a war to force the faith on others, as many people think of it. It should never be interpreted as a way of compulsion of the belief on others, since there is an explicit verse in the Qur'an that says:"There is no compulsion in religion" Al-Qur'an: Al-Baqarah (2:256).

Jihad is not a defensive war only, but a war against any unjust regime. If such a regime exists, a war is to be waged against the leaders, but not against the people of that country. People should be freed from the unjust regimes and influences so that they can freely choose to believe in Allah.

Not only in peace but also in war Islam prohibits terrorism, kidnapping, and hijacking, when carried against civilians. Whoever commits such violations is considered a murderer in Islam, and is to be punished by the Islamic state. during wars, Islam prohibits Muslim soldiers from harming civilians, women, children, elderly, and the religious men like priests and rabies. It also prohibits cutting down trees and destroying civilian constructions.

6. cptpwichita

cptpwichita Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9

the prophet said at the conquest of mecca:(there is no migration now,but only jihad,fighting for the cause of islam.when you are asked to set out on a jihad expedition,you should readily do so."muslim c20b1n4597

7. cptpwichita

cptpwichita Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9

"allah's apostle said,'i have been made victorious with terror."
    bukhari v4b52n220

"i shall terrorize the infidels.so wound their bodies and incapacitate them because they oppose allah and his apostle."
    quran 8:12

8. skhaldi

skhaldi Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    "Allah does not forbid you respecting those who have not made war against you on account of (your) religion, and have not driven you forth from your homes, that you show them kindness and deal with them justly; surely Allah loves the doers of justice."
    Surah 60 Aya 08
    - Basically saying you can live peacefully with someone as long as they do not oppress you from practicing your religion

"And fight them on until there is no more Tumult or oppression, and there prevail justice and faith in Allah; but if they cease, Let there be no hostility except to those who practise oppression."
    Surah 2 Aya193
    - This is basically saying fight if you are being oppressed and once the oppression has stopped cease the fight and only attack those who oppress you.

Jihad can be used when struggling against your enemies but the above verse describes what an enemy is and that is someone who has made war with you on account of your religion.
    - So say you are a non-believer...I can't just kill you for no reason, but if for some reason you oppress me from practicing my religion then I can declare Jihad because I would struggle/fight you because you are preventing me from serving Allah.
    - See as a Muslim we are not allowed to attack unless we are attacked first.

9. cptpwichita

cptpwichita Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9
    do you want the verses dealing with raping female prisoners?
    using torture?terrorism?killing muslims who convert?muslims not being held responsible for killing non-believers?jihad and holy war and numerous examples as applied by mohammed?human slavery and slave rape?raiding and stealing from non-believers?lying allowed in the koran,hadith and life of mohammed?pedophilia?back breaking tax levied on non-believers (up to 50%)?beating women?women are deficient in mind and value?

which should we cover first?

10. skhaldi

skhaldi Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Please only lets discuss one subject at a time. All of these are very important to understand and therefore I do not want any of them to be lost in discussion. We can start with whatever you want to, but please if you cite a hadith show in the Quran where that is supported. Only the Quran is the true word of God and in the Quran is the final rulings on all things. Some hadiths mention things that took place before Mohammed (peace be upon him) received a revelation and therefore is abrogated and not looked upon anymore. Also, I will try to reply as quickly as possible, but since I am not an expert sometimes I will have to consult a scholar and see what they say. Also, know that at some point I may get something wrong. I am only human and can only give you my interpretation. So please do not look only to me for answering your questions on Islam but to a variety of more knowlegable scholars in order for you to get a broader understanding. I hope I can give everyone a glimpse into this religion and help you make sense of many of the things that at first seem negative.
    Thanks!