Hack or Healer?

random3434

Jun 29, 2008
Although Wakefield did not claim to have proved that the M.M.R. vaccine (typically given to children at 12 to 15 months) caused autism, his concerns, not his caveats, ricocheted around the world. His belief, based on a paper he wrote about 12 children, is that the three vaccines, given together, can alter a child’s immune system, allowing the measles virus in the vaccine to infiltrate the intestines; certain proteins, escaping from the intestines, could then reach and harm neurons in the brain. Few theories have drawn so much attention and, in turn, so much refutation: a 2003 paper in The Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, which reviewed a dozen epidemiological studies, concluded that there was no evidence of an association between autism and M.M.R., and studies in peer-reviewed journals since have come to the same conclusion. In Britain, the General Medical Council revoked Wakefield’s medical license after a lengthy hearing, citing numerous ethical violations that tainted his work, like failing to disclose financing from lawyers who were mounting a case against vaccine manufacturers. The Lancet, which published the original Wakefield paper, retracted it. In a series that ran early this year, The British Medical Journal concluded that the research was not just unethically financed but also “fraudulent” (that timelines were misrepresented, for example, to suggest direct culpability of the vaccine).

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/24/magazine/mag-24Autism-t.html?_r=1&hp

A hack who has caused great harm to the babies born since his "study" came out.

The fuitloop Jenny McCarthy shares her portion of the culpability as well.

I found this part interesting:

Andrew Wakefield has become one of the most reviled doctors of his generation, blamed directly and indirectly, depending on the accuser, for irresponsibly starting a panic with tragic repercussions: vaccination rates so low that childhood diseases once all but eradicated here — whooping cough and measles, among them — have re-emerged, endangering young lives.

Scary stuff.

Hey USMB Folks, did you get your children their vaccines, or didn't for fear of autism?

Naah, she was just emotional because of her own child, she knew not what she'd done.

He, on the other hand............... :doubt:

Naah, she was just emotional because of her own child, she knew not what she'd done.

Emotional, I can understand.

Mounting a crusade and being purposefully blind to facts I cannot.

Mine did. Back in 1970 and 1973. Ex didn't for his kids due to him being a JW at the time.

Emotional, I can understand.

Mounting a crusade and being purposefully blind to facts I cannot.

I just think she's not that smart and she got emotional... She believed it.

Yes, many parents of those with children with autism will try and figure out "WHY"?

There is not a clear cut reason why children have autism, nor is there a 'cure'

Many people use a gluten free diet, or pills, or behavior therapy, et al for their children.

And also, people want to put the 'blame' on something for why their child has autism, even though the medical community still has not found a cause for all types of autism.

All you really need is an annual rabies and distemper shot. A lyme disease shot is good if you go outside a lot. Anything else is just wasted time and money. Oh yeah, be a dear and put those drops on the back of my neck every month too. Keeps the ticks and fleas off. Don't forget to toss me my monthly heartworm treatment either. After that, I'm good to go.

Although Wakefield did not claim to have proved that the M.M.R. vaccine (typically given to children at 12 to 15 months) caused autism, his concerns, not his caveats, ricocheted around the world. His belief, based on a paper he wrote about 12 children, is that the three vaccines, given together, can alter a child’s immune system, allowing the measles virus in the vaccine to infiltrate the intestines; certain proteins, escaping from the intestines, could then reach and harm neurons in the brain. Few theories have drawn so much attention and, in turn, so much refutation: a 2003 paper in The Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, which reviewed a dozen epidemiological studies, concluded that there was no evidence of an association between autism and M.M.R., and studies in peer-reviewed journals since have come to the same conclusion. In Britain, the General Medical Council revoked Wakefield’s medical license after a lengthy hearing, citing numerous ethical violations that tainted his work, like failing to disclose financing from lawyers who were mounting a case against vaccine manufacturers. The Lancet, which published the original Wakefield paper, retracted it. In a series that ran early this year, The British Medical Journal concluded that the research was not just unethically financed but also “fraudulent” (that timelines were misrepresented, for example, to suggest direct culpability of the vaccine).

He questioned the drug companies and got the smack-down. That's not uncommon. Wakefield believed more research should be conducted. It was, but unfortunately a lot of it was open to interpretation.

There's an interesting website that discusses this here:

INFORMED CHOICE - MMR and autism

One of my kids is on the autism spectrum. That coupled with my general distrust of large multi-national corporations and the government make me wonder if there is a connection.

All my kids have gotten their vaccinations. After my youngest received the H1N1 flu vaccine, he had a seizure within 24 hours. His doctors said the vaccine was not the cause while writing on their drug company provided clipboards. He's been having seizures regularly since that time, 3 in the past week. Of course the solution is the drug Keppra made by UCB, a huge pharmaceutical company in Belgium.

He questioned the drug companies and got the smack-down. That's not uncommon. Wakefield believed more research should be conducted. It was, but unfortunately a lot of it was open to interpretation.

One of my kids is on the autism spectrum. That coupled with my general distrust of large multi-national corporations and the government make me wonder if there is a connection.

All my kids have gotten their vaccinations. After my youngest received the H1N1 flu vaccine, he had a seizure within 24 hours. His doctors said the vaccine was not the cause while writing on their drug company provided clipboards. He's been having seizures regularly since that time, 3 in the past week. Of course the solution is the drug Keppra made by UCB, a huge pharmaceutical company in Belgium.

Sorry to hear that about your son xsited. I agree the Drug Companies have an agenda, and it's too bad some doctors will compromise a patient for whatever reason ($$$$)

Autism is still such a big mystery, we have so much technology and yet don't know what causes autism (or a cure for cancer either)

Less weapons for war and more research for humans? Now there's a novel idea! :eusa_pray:

Sorry to hear that about your son xsited. I agree the Drug Companies have an agenda, and it's too bad some doctors will compromise a patient for whatever reason ($$$$)

Autism is still such a big mystery, we have so much technology and yet don't know what causes autism (or a cure for cancer either)

Less weapons for war and more research for humans? Now there's a novel idea! :eusa_pray:

Thank you for your concern. This is an exciting time in human evolution. I just hope we (i.e., human beings) don't muck it up.

i had my son vaccinated for anything i could....i grew up with polio....i remember how thankful everyone was that a vaccine was developed...

my hats off to the rotary club and their work to eradicate polio

Autism IS on the rise.

Not a clue why, but I can certainly understand why some people think it has something to do with vaccinations.

If for no other reason autism usually manifests around the same time toddlers are getting their shots.

If you can imagine what it must be like for a mother whose kid seemed absolutely normal and then within months has undergone a dramatic change in personality, one can easily see how they might conclude that the shots they recently gave their child must have something to do with it.

I personally doubt vaccinations are the cause of this, but I am sympathetic to those who suspect they are.

Forum List

Back