H1N1 Vaccine

Are you posting from the hospital then? Is he ok?

Prayers.

It happened early Saturday morning.

Was he watching TV ?

He was asleep. Oddly enough, he was sleeping on our bed which he never does, so we probably wouldn't have even noticed had he been in his room. Whenever he buys a computer game, he reminds me that some of them have a seizure notice (he reads everything) and tells me stories of Japanese cartoons that cause seizures. When he had one, it was a big surprise.

As a member of the Illuminati, I feel it is my duty to inform you that if you don't keel over dead within the next week, I will have to hunt you down and kill you.

So sorry.

As a member of the track team...NAH-NA-NA-NAH-NAH, YOU CAN'T CATCH ME! :funnyface:

It happened early Saturday morning.

Was he watching TV ?

He was asleep. Oddly enough, he was sleeping on our bed which he never does, so we probably wouldn't have even noticed had he been in his room. Whenever he buys a computer game, he reminds me that some of them have a seizure notice (he reads everything) and tells me stories of Japanese cartoons that cause seizures. When he had one, it was a big surprise.

I'm glad you were there to witness it (I know it was terrifying, but I mean that you all were able to describe to the docs what happened). I'll keep you all in my prayers.

On that note, I heard they just made a generic of one of the ARBs.

Good news for those who have problems with the ACEs.

They did? That's great to hear.

Probably Diovan or Cozaar.

Would those provide the same renal protection (that's why I'm on this)?

It was my understanding that they do...however, I was at a conference a few weeks ago where someone mentioned that they don't. But, I haven't had a chance to read into it further.

Basically, if you can't tolerate ACE...then you have no choice. But I wouldn't do ARB first line.

It was my understanding that they do...however, I was at a conference a few weeks ago where someone mentioned that they don't. But, I haven't had a chance to read into it further.

Basically, if you can't tolerate ACE...then you have no choice. But I wouldn't do ARB first line.

'k thanks

I suspect this is related to the virus (flu or whatever I had). I'm going to check with him if it persists and find out just how long he expects it to continue. I see the nephrologist on the 17th (finally lol) so I'll run it past him too.

As a member of the Illuminati, I feel it is my duty to inform you that if you don't keel over dead within the next week, I will have to hunt you down and kill you.

So sorry.

LOL.

You can try....

I might be out of shape, but I still have "illegal Ninja moves from the government"......

On that note, I heard they just made a generic of one of the ARBs.

Good news for those who have problems with the ACEs.

I think it is Cozaar. I just overheard the Family Practice Docs talking about it on my last rotation. Either way, Merck loses it's patent on Cozaar in early February 2010, so if not now, then soon.

Really interesting questions and points. But for the cough, ACEs are really good drugs (IMHO). Although, I did work a patient up once who had angioedema from an ACE. Automatic discontinue.

One of my kids had a seizure about 24 hours after taking the H1N1 vaccine. He's never had a seizure until now. Now we get to take him to get an EEG and an MRI. Scary stuff.

We just got back from Children's Hospital. My son had an EEG and an MRI. He did great. I was really proud of him. Test results should be available in a couple of days. No seizures since. I'll keep everyone posted.

One of my kids had a seizure about 24 hours after taking the H1N1 vaccine. He's never had a seizure until now. Now we get to take him to get an EEG and an MRI. Scary stuff.

We just got back from Children's Hospital. My son had an EEG and an MRI. He did great. I was really proud of him. Test results should be available in a couple of days. No seizures since. I'll keep everyone posted.

EEG results: Benign rolandic epilepsy

Here's what I read: "Benign rolandic epilepsy is called 'benign' because it has a good outcome - nearly all children with it will outgrow it during puberty."

Benign rolandic epilepsy | Epilepsy Action

That's good news. I went through this with my oldest. We had to do MRIs and neurological tests. He had several different types of seizures...drop attacks, partial focal, petit mal, and one other kind...temporal something or other.

We were so afraid it was something organic. They started out with an anti-seizure medication which made it worse, before giving him huge doses of depakote. He hated the depakote, but it really did work, though he gained weight and became sort of sluggish. After a couple of years he really wanted to wean off the medication, and I let him...and he's never had an observable seizure since. The neurologist called it juvenile seizure disorder, said he would probably outgrow it, and he appears to have.

He still has anxiety attacks and has been amazed that depakote can be used to treat anxiety disorder as well. He's looking at his options at this point, he's tired of the anxiety.

But that really is good news about your boy. I don't know how old he is, but there have got to be support groups, and it might be helpful to start looking into it. During the period my boy was having seizures, losing consciousness, running into doors, unable to focus at school before we got him diagnosed and got the medication right, he lost almost all his friends and essentially lost a year of school thanks to the absence seizures. Kids have a hard time dealing with this. Prayers your way, including thankful ones that it's nothing worse.

New Topics

Forum List

Back