H1N1 Vaccine

In the past 24 hours I've heard the mortality rate on H1N1 is lower than normal flu. It's been unpredictable. Flu season hasn't begun yet, but this sucker is hitting now. Out of 22 kindergarteners, 14 were out today. PS similar. 1st grade had 6 out. 2nd, 3. 3rd grade 2, 4th grade 1. 5th grade all there. 6th grade 5 out of 15. 7th grade 1 out. 8th grade 2 out.

It's actually been hitting the population since last flu season.

Many people got H1N1 over the summer. My classmate was one of them.

Indeed. Luckily it's not nearly as 'deadly' as predicted. But it's not normal flu, that's for certain.

It's not "superflu" from "The Stand" and it's not going to wipe out the population. No one has ever claimed that (despite the anti-flu vax crowds hyperbole).

What we have always stated is that it is much more virulent than the seasonal flu, both in it's transmission and effects.

I swear, I think some people are raising a stink about this simply because Obama is President and that's asinine.

In fact, I know that's the case, since one of those people has a nationally syndicated radio show.

It's actually been hitting the population since last flu season.

Many people got H1N1 over the summer. My classmate was one of them.

Indeed. Luckily it's not nearly as 'deadly' as predicted. But it's not normal flu, that's for certain.

It's not "superflu" from "The Stand" and it's not going to wipe out the population. No one has ever claimed that (despite the anti-flu vax crowds hyperbole).

What we have always stated is that it is much more virulent than the seasonal flu, both in it's transmission and effects.

I swear, I think some people are raising a stink about this simply because Obama is President and that's asinine.

In fact, I know that's the case, since one of those people has a nationally syndicated radio show.

Funny thing, the reason for the 'shortage' is the folks that were concerned about the additive that has been proven not to cause autism, etc. Yet, they are among those complaining about it not being readily available.

CDC should do what's right, regardless of nutters.

Funny thing, the reason for the 'shortage' is the folks that were concerned about the additive that has been proven not to cause autism, etc. Yet, they are among those complaining about it not being readily available.

CDC should do what's right, regardless of nutters.

I totally agree. People are going to bitch no matter what.

I actually got grief today from a acquaintance of mine from college for getting the vaccine: "My children can't get the vaccine, but a healthy 31 year old can.."

The CDC is doing their best and should be applauded for trying to get in front of a major health concern.

Instead, the nutters accuse them of "fear mongering".

If they were doing nothing, they would be accused of being incompetent.

It's a catch-22. Meanwhile, the virus perpetuates and is unconcerned with the squabbling.

One of my kids had a seizure about 24 hours after taking the H1N1 vaccine. He's never had a seizure until now. Now we get to take him to get an EEG and an MRI. Scary stuff.

Keep us updated on his status.

I can't imagine any reason why the vaccination would have caused a seizure.

Age? Fever? Other medical problems? Shot or nasal vaccine?

Very curious. Best of luck to you and him.

I will. He had the shot last Thursday night and the seizure early Saturday morning. He has asthma (which explains the shot). No history of seizures. Both tests are scheduled for the 16th. We've had several nurses and doctors look at him and they say he seems fine. (We took him to the doctor Saturday morning and decided to take him to Children's Hospital that night after talking to a friend of ours who is a pediatric nurse.) The Neurologist on call gave us a prescription for seizures (medicine inserted anally) just in case he has another one. He's 10.

One of my kids had a seizure about 24 hours after taking the H1N1 vaccine. He's never had a seizure until now. Now we get to take him to get an EEG and an MRI. Scary stuff.

Are you posting from the hospital then? Is he ok?

Prayers.

It happened early Saturday morning. He seems to be fine now. We are watching him 24/7. Too many bad memories. Thank you for the prayers.

I am sorry to hear that. I'll keep my fingers crossed for your family.

Thank you.

I too offer my best wishes, I'm sure he's a strong, little guy. Doesn't make you feel better though, when they aren't tossing your house here and there. Nothing worse than a child that just lies there.

I will. He had the shot last Thursday night and the seizure early Saturday morning. He has asthma (which explains the shot). No history of seizures. Both tests are scheduled for the 16th. We've had several nurses and doctors look at him and they say he seems fine. (We took him to the doctor Saturday morning and decided to take him to Children's Hospital that night after talking to a friend of ours who is a pediatric nurse.) The Neurologist on call gave us a prescription for seizures (medicine inserted anally) just in case he has another one. He's 10.

And he didn't have a rapidly increasing fever that could have caused it?

Very weird. But, it sounds like the workup is going as it should. Get the EEG to see if he has a focus of activity, MRI to see if there is anything structural, and then just watch.

If they don't find anything on the tests, then it might just be a one time occurance and never happen again.

And you are sure it was a seizure and not some other "spell"? Sometimes they are pretty obvious...sometimes they are not.

As a member of the Illuminati, I feel it is my duty to inform you that if you don't keel over dead within the next week, I will have to hunt you down and kill you.

So sorry.

Xsited.

I hope your son is fine. Mine is 11 and also has asthma, and my wife and I have been been debating whether or not we should get him vaccinated. We've been going back and forth on it, but have not yet made a decision. I'm glad that you shared your experience.

Is there something specific about the H1N1 vaccine or is it vaccines in general?

And he didn't have a rapidly increasing fever that could have caused it?

Very weird. But, it sounds like the workup is going as it should. Get the EEG to see if he has a focus of activity, MRI to see if there is anything structural, and then just watch.

If they don't find anything on the tests, then it might just be a one time occurance and never happen again.

And you are sure it was a seizure and not some other "spell"? Sometimes they are pretty obvious...sometimes they are not.

No fever whatsoever. We are hoping it's just a one-time occurrence. We described what happened to several doctors and they all said it was a seizure.

Thanks again.

Xsited.

I hope your son is fine. Mine is 11 and also has asthma, and my wife and I have been been debating whether or not we should get him vaccinated. We've been going back and forth on it, but have not yet made a decision. I'm glad that you shared your experience.

Is there something specific about the H1N1 vaccine or is it vaccines in general?

Thanks. He hasn't had any trouble with vaccines in the past. He had the seasonal flu vaccine a few weeks ago. Many of the kids in his school have already had H1N1. I'll let everyone know how the tests go. Good luck to you.

Forum List

Back