H1N1 Outbreak Could Create Hospital Bed Shortage

I don't have the page open, so I might be a bit off... but it's something like upwards of 60% false negative.

I believe that's a low sensitivity. Specificity yields false positives.

At anyrate, if that's correct, over half of the people who are "negative" have the virus. Thus, the test is really only good to determine a positive test.
I pulled up the email.

The Rapid Influenza tests are positive in only 40-69% of the cases of proven H1N1. Thus, it is not a sensitive test and means that a negative Rapid Influenza Test DOES NOT rule out H1N1.
I had it backward (I knew there was a 60-something in there somewhere). Sorry =\

Well, like I said, I always mix up specificity and sensitivity too.

I believe that's a low sensitivity. Specificity yields false positives.

At anyrate, if that's correct, over half of the people who are "negative" have the virus. Thus, the test is really only good to determine a positive test.

My doc said he's not even testing. If you have the flu, the treatment is the same regardless. #1 being quarantine. He's just being especially careful of those at high risk for complications with this particular strain.

I don't think the CDC is even typing swine flue anymore. The assumption is that you have/had flu out of the flu season and it's flu A, to treat it like swine flu.

Makes sense. At least some people will have some immunity.

You know what though? I hope all the naysayers on here are right. I hope this is a false alarm.

That doesn't change the fact that infectious diseases will always plaque us, that the worst case scenario can, in fact, happen, and that the WHO and CDC were 100% right to take this seriously.
I hope they're right too. Although if the CDC hadn't taken these precautions, I don't doubt the naysayers would be first in line to blast them for not doing their job ;)

At our hospital, if you have a fever of 100 and cough or sore throat, you are automatically out for 7 days or 24 hours after your last fever, whichever is longer. Plus you have to be cleared by employee health.

7 days minimum? Sweet!
:lol:

That's a heck of a way to get a vacation, though.

Several kids in the school my children go to have gotten H1N1. Most have gotten over it in 2-3 days. That means 4-5 days of Xbox 360!!!!

Forum List

Back