H.R. 800: Employee Free Choice Act

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Tristan, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Tristan

Tristan Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Bad law with very misleading name. Unions and their Democrat supporters seek Saddam style open ballots. Open as in public and open as in "open ended" and therefore being unsettled until they win.

Sidenote: This passed the House in 2007 but was (thankfully) killed in the Senate later that year. However, should Obama win we could very likely see it or it's cousin again. Just fair warning! lol

Have a look:
    H.R. 800 - http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h110-800

Letter Opposing H.R. 800, the "Employee Free Choice Act" (U.S. Chamber of Commerce)

Lean to the Right on Unions?
    How the Employee Free Choice Act Takes Away Workers' Rights
    How the Employee Free Choice Act Takes Away Workers' Rights

Lean to the Left on Unions?
    My Party
    Should Respect
    Secret Union Ballots

By GEORGE MCGOVERN (yes, THAT George McGovern) :lol:
    My Party Should Respect Secret Union Ballots - WSJ.com

2. Tristan

Tristan Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +44
    As greenpartyaz saw fit to give me a "bad reputation" point for "union bashing BS" but failed to reply here, I'll expand a bit. (at terrible risk to my rep even, LOL)

My Pop retired from the Air Force and is now a pilot in a union. I've had a union job in the past (UPS) and a year and a half from now, will likely have a union job again in a "real" career. (undisclosed by choice)

IMHO, Unions can be good or bad just like buisness and just like government. The above does not "bash Unions" but is an attempt to bring light to a bad law that we may see again, and soon.

Again: (for the reading impared)

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  3. greenpartyaz

greenpartyaz Corporate Watchdog

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Ever since the Taft-Hartley law went into effect, it has put a choke hold on organized labor. In 1981, a significant event took place, when Ronald Regan fired 11,000 air traffic controllers, putting the nail in the coffin of organized labor, and setting the precedent that corporations could do whatever they want, as to labor law, and mistreatment of workers. Ever since workers have lost their rights in the workplace. The right to representation if they choose. Workers are intimidated by companies not to even breathe a word about organizing, or are threatened with loosing their jobs. Corporations have been increasingly engaging in intimidation tactics, such as meetings to discuss union activities, and checking employees positions on unions. The "Corporate Democrats" don't have the balls to call for the end to Taft-Hartley. So it is up to us greens to do so. Good luck with your union job, and remember, don't bite the hand that feeds you. Your job could easily go overseas in a heartbeat. Just ask millions of other Americans!:eusa_whistle:

4. Tristan

Tristan Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +44

Reagan was right but I would add, Air traffic control never should have been a government job to start with. Corporations can't "do whatever they want" thanks to goofball anti-trust laws they can be attacked from all sides.

People need the freedom to choose and the more the government gets involved the less choice we have. I want to be free to join a union and free to reject one. (and free to leave one union in favor of another union) H.R. 800 was an enemy of that choice.

sidenote: the job I will seek is can not be sent overseas but, I do get your point about that posibility for many Americans.