Gym Sins

I would agree that weight lifters/power lifters should be stronger than most bodybuilders but would argue that that is most definitely not necessarily true.

While there may be the proverbial exceptions to the rule, it is the rule nonetheless.

That power/weightlifters bones, ligaments, tendons and muscles are conditioned to lifiting maximum poundages while bodybuilders are conditioned to the 8-12 rep range makes a simple, physical fact.

Of course, if you do heavy, compound movements, you could perhaps keep up but heavy compound movements are not bodybuilding exercises that mostly isolate a single muscle with the purpose being to gorge that muscle as much as possible with blood before the lactic acid kicks in and kicks your ass.

Naturally, you will be stronger than the average dolt, but pound for pound, unless you lift for strength, you would not be as strong as powerlifter. Then that brings us to your next statement which also kind of plays into what SP is saying ...

You want me to start circuit training at my age?:D fuck off.It takes me all my time to put 4 workouts in per week.I used to wrestle and box, I know how that works:eek:I'll stick to trying to look good for an old bastard with enough wherewithall to still be able rattle the arse of the young twats that might need it.I reckon I still have at least one good one left in me.:cool:

A giant set is not categorized as circuit training even though it does employ a circuit, kind of. It's a "giant" superset (there's a clue in there for you!) and is a bodybuilding training method.

There are no weights involved at all in the exercises I listed. Only your bodyweight. Give it a try. I doubt you can do enough reps of any of them actually hurt yourself. Especially after the second set.

I don't think you're much older than me if at all, so that's no excuse.

While there may be the proverbial exceptions to the rule, it is the rule nonetheless.

That power/weightlifters bones, ligaments, tendons and muscles are conditioned to lifiting maximum poundages while bodybuilders are conditioned to the 8-12 rep range makes a simple, physical fact.

Of course, if you do heavy, compound movements, you could perhaps keep up but heavy compound movements are not bodybuilding exercises that mostly isolate a single muscle with the purpose being to gorge that muscle as much as possible with blood before the lactic acid kicks in and kicks your ass.

Naturally, you will be stronger than the average dolt, but pound for pound, unless you lift for strength, you would not be as strong as powerlifter. Then that brings us to your next statement which also kind of plays into what SP is saying ...

A giant set is not categorized as circuit training even though it does employ a circuit, kind of. It's a "giant" superset (there's a clue in there for you!) and is a bodybuilding training method.

There are no weights involved at all in the exercises I listed. Only your bodyweight. Give it a try. I doubt you can do enough reps of any of them actually hurt yourself. Especially after the second set.

I don't think you're much older than me if at all, so that's no excuse.

Well I am 48 about the same height as you (slightly shorter) I weigh about 210 at the moment at around 12% body fat, hoping to get to single figures within the next 9 weeks before I take my summer holiday in the sun without dropping too much weight, it gets harder and harder.I do quite a bit of cardio, pull ups etc are an integral part of any bodybuilding programme, I do know that.You should also know that at my/our age it becomes more of a maintenance thing than anything else.As for pimping and preening in front of a mirror, it goes with the territory, there aren't many 48 year olds in as good as nick as me and long may I remain King:cool:

Well I am 48 about the same height as you (slightly shorter) I weigh about 210 at the moment at around 12% body fat, hoping to get to single figures within the next 9 weeks before I take my summer holiday in the sun without dropping too much weight, it gets harder and harder.I do quite a bit of cardio, pull ups etc are an integral part of any bodybuilding programme, I do know that.You should also know that at my/our age it becomes more of a maintenance thing than anything else.As for pimping and preening in front of a mirror, it goes with the territory, there aren't many 48 year olds in as good as nick as me and long may I remain King:cool:

Prove it. :eusa_angel:

I dirty bulk Butthead, which means I eat and drink whatever I like.:lol:

Ahh.. So, you have the muscles, but you're stilll trying to get rid of the beer gut.. :D

I'm going out before I get my ass kicked. :eusa_whistle:

Same age. Shorter and 10-15 pounds heavier.:eusa_whistle:

While I can't lift what I once could, I can still post some respectable numbers for person my height and weight at any age, but I don't so the "maintenace" thing. I work out 6 days a week for and hour and a half each day.

I'll cut back when I get old like you.:cool:

Define "dive bombers," "pistols," and "planching." Sounds like planes, guns and who knows what, respectively.

I've always made sure I've kept bodyweight exercises mixed in with my routines, so they might be something I can use.

Dive bombers are a push up variation

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttk8RdiIHzA]YouTube - Exercise Clip - Dive Bomber Push-up with SGT Ken[/ame]

try that one handed when you want to feel inadequate

pistols are one legged squats

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLBAbqEZIeU]YouTube - Pistol squat - bodyweight leg exercise[/ame]

planches are various body weight lifts that you see gymnasts doing these are planche push ups

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvbLSgWMJec&feature=related]YouTube - My Planche Training[/ame]

have fun

Gunny probably invented them, just calls them something different:tongue:

Ha! Hardly. I have done the first two or variations of them since before I ever started lifting. However, someone else showed them to me.

The planches however look like something for YOU, Roomy. :muahaha:

The only REAL Gym Sin is when some weight lifter gets in the way of my view of a pretty young woman scantily dressed "working out" in the Gym. ):lol:

And therein lies the problem with gyms everywhere. Forget health. Let's go to the Meat Market.

And therein lies the problem with gyms everywhere. Forget health. Let's go to the Meat Market.

LOL, you ever been to a large gym? The ones I am used to are military, but believe me most of the women in the place are not there to get healthy. When your in an arobics class and the women have enough make up on and glitz cloths to be a show girl, they are not concerned with the work out. And these are MARRIED women.

LOL, you ever been to a large gym? The ones I am used to are military, but believe me most of the women in the place are not there to get healthy. When your in an arobics class and the women have enough make up on and glitz cloths to be a show girl, they are not concerned with the work out. And these are MARRIED women.

The gyms around me are filled with these girls...not to mention the guys with their hair gelled up and cologne on!

Forum List

Back