Gym Sins

Gunny

Gold Member
Dec 27, 2004
The Republic of Texas
Fitness club managers dish about their members' most obnoxious habits.

By Tina Peng | Newsweek Web Exclusive
Jun 9, 2008 | Updated: 9:45 a.m. ET Jun 9, 2008

It was perhaps the most extreme case of gym rage—ever. While taking a Manhattan spin class last August, Christopher Carter became so annoyed by the unrelenting grunts and shouts of a fellow spinner that he tipped the other guy right off his bike and into a wall. The grunter was hospitalized for two weeks after the incident. Carter was acquitted of assault charges June 2nd. Hopefully the acquittal won't inspire a rash of new altercations as other exercisers decide that they, too, have had it with obnoxious gym behavior. Because any gym rat can tell you, grunting isn't the most irritating thing people do in fitness clubs. From making lunch in the sauna, to sporting unsavory yoga attire, club managers report that some of their patrons are clueless when it comes to gym etiquette, or general decency, it seems. Here are nine of the most outrageous fitness club offenses.

The Nine Most Obnoxious Habits of Gym Rats | Newsweek Health | Newsweek.com

It annoys me when others don't wipe their sweat off the machines, barbells/dumbells.Another thing that angers me is when the lazy bastards gather up all the free weights pile them onto the bar for one fucking rep then leave them so that the next mug wanting the bar has to take them all off.Then you get 4/5 young roiders all training together and you can't get to any of the fucking equipment because 'they are using it' the limp dick bastards.Then there is the gym owner who insists on blasting out that horrible fucking squealing dance shit music cd.

I train at home now:D

It annoys me when others don't wipe their sweat off the machines, barbells/dumbells.Another thing that angers me is when the lazy bastards gather up all the free weights pile them onto the bar for one fucking rep then leave them so that the next mug wanting the bar has to take them all off.Then you get 4/5 young roiders all training together and you can't get to any of the fucking equipment because 'they are using it' the limp dick bastards.Then there is the gym owner who insists on blasting out that horrible fucking squealing dance shit music cd.

Same here. Although I can say, having used Marine Corps gyms almost exclusively while I was in, I never had to put up with a lot of that crap. Obey the rules of the gym or your privileges are rescinded.

The ones I hated which were unique to that were the officers and senior NCOs (when I was troop) that felt rank entitled them to the equipment. And THAT is one of those things that pisses you off, throws you off schedule, but isn't worth arguing about.

I guess besides the sweaters, and people who don't pick up, the next most annoying thing are the screamers and clangers. If it hurts that bad that you have to yell THAT loud, followed by basically dropping the weight on the floor or rack, take a few plates off.

But admit it Roomy ... the guys in the gym didn't like your pink workout leotard and combat boots is why you work out at home.:badgrin:

I hate it when hot chicks wear concealing clothing. Lose the baggy sweats honey, gimme some form fitting workout attire thank you very much!

LOL. You pretty much covered the ones I always hated, when I still had a free hour out of my day to attend.

Same here. Although I can say, having used Marine Corps gyms almost exclusively while I was in, I never had to put up with a lot of that crap. Obey the rules of the gym or your privileges are rescinded.

The ones I hated which were unique to that were the officers and senior NCOs (when I was troop) that felt rank entitled them to the equipment. And THAT is one of those things that pisses you off, throws you off schedule, but isn't worth arguing about.

I guess besides the sweaters, and people who don't pick up, the next most annoying thing are the screamers and clangers. If it hurts that bad that you have to yell THAT loud, followed by basically dropping the weight on the floor or rack, take a few plates off.

But admit it Roomy ... the guys in the gym didn't like your pink workout leotard and combat boots is why you work out at home.:badgrin:

Rank don't mean SHIT to me off duty.

I don't care if you're fucking Chairman of the Joint Chiefs. Your stars matter not, when it's my set.

Rank don't mean SHIT to me off duty.

I don't care if you're fucking Chairman of the Joint Chiefs. Your stars matter not, when it's my set.

Marines usually go to the weightroom at lunchtime, so technically, you aren't off duty. And rank matters a bit more in the Marines than in the Air Force. Air Force gyms are always more laid back.

There are a lot of smaller women who work out at the UCSB gym, so it annoys me when I see bro-dog fratboy types who don't re-rack their weights.

I first started lifting at Power House gym in Fountain Valley, CA when I was 14. There were a lot of competitive bodybuilders and power lifters there who did the same thing.

Power lifters bug in general. Hog a bench, do a set every 6 minutes, and spend the rest of the time talking.

There are a lot of smaller women who work out at the UCSB gym, so it annoys me when I see bro-dog fratboy types who don't re-rack their weights.

I first started lifting at Power House gym in Fountain Valley, CA when I was 14. There were a lot of competitive bodybuilders and power lifters there who did the same thing.

Power lifters bug in general. Hog a bench, do a set every 6 minutes, and spend the rest of the time talking.

While I'm not going to disagree necessarily because I don't work out where you do, but I powerlifted for quite a few years, and we didn't really hog anything, and we allowed whoever wanted to work in to do so, even if the disparity in weight was a couple hundred pounds. We just changed plates a lot.

Powerlifters DO rest several minutes between sets. There were enough of us together -- usually 4-5 -- that it didn't matter. The weights were in continual use until we were finished.

Could be a difference in era's though. I started lifting in the mid-70s before it was en vogue. The people were a lot more helpful and the atmosphere a lot more cooperative. We weren't there to primp and put on a show. We wore cutoff sweats, Chuck Taylor's and lifted iron plates and actually helped each other.

Once it became a fashion show with morons that couldn't budge 135 lbs off the floor for one rep prancing around in their silk drawers, I bugged out.

I hate clangers and also meditators who do reps of 8 and then meditate for 20 minutes between reps. I have done a whole hour workout in the time some of these people take to do 4 reps. It really gets annoying if it is a machine or a bench I want to use.

I hate clangers and also meditators who do reps of 8 and then meditate for 20 minutes between reps. I have done a whole hour workout in the time some of these people take to do 4 reps. It really gets annoying if it is a machine or a bench I want to use.

Start collecting your own weights. Works like a charm. I've got about 600 lbs of Olympic weights, and 200 in 10's for dumbells. An adjustable bench and height -adjustable rack, pullup bar, and you're in business.

And before you say it, I had all that shit in my hall closet in a 2 bdr apt and hauled it out to work out every day and put it back. It can be done.

Public gyms nowadays suck.

Start collecting your own weights. Works like a charm. I've got about 600 lbs of Olympic weights, and 200 in 10's for dumbells. An adjustable bench and height -adjustable rack, pullup bar, and you're in business.

And before you say it, I had all that shit in my hall closet in a 2 bdr apt and hauled it out to work out every day and put it back. It can be done.

Public gyms nowadays suck.

I agree, only all of my stuff is in the garage, the car lives outside.

Whilst doing upright rows on my multigym a cable snapped, sent me bouncing across the concrete floor on my arse, knocked the wind out me, thought I had broke my fucking back, crawled into the house looking for sympathy, collapsed in a heap on the kitchen floor still had the bar and snapped cable in my hand, off work for a week.They sent me a new cable though:cool:

There is a club, can't remember the name, that bans making noise while lifting weights.

See, I don't get that. Where's the happy medium? People grunt and groan when they physically exert themselves. That's as opposed to making no noise or practicing your Tarzan yell will each rep of bench presses with 50 pounds.

Marines usually go to the weightroom at lunchtime, so technically, you aren't off duty. And rank matters a bit more in the Marines than in the Air Force. Air Force gyms are always more laid back.

I work out at home now too. Too many ignorant people in public gyms for me. I have free weights and a Total Gym XL like Chuck Norris sells on TV.

I used to go to the gym on my lunch break in the Air Force too Gunny. I can't say as though I can recall one problem. The Force had great gyms.

Ever tried politely asking them to step aside to allow you to get a set in?

I'm positive you'll find that it works wonders.

i work out at home because gyms are dirty as hell. Im no Howie Mandel but i'll pass on all the strep.

Ever tried politely asking them to step aside to allow you to get a set in?

I'm positive you'll find that it works wonders.

Sometimes. I've had people look at me like I was from Mars for just asking how many sets they had left. Like it was a hard question or something.

Sometimes, maybe it is ... :lol:

I agree, only all of my stuff is in the garage, the car lives outside.

Whilst doing upright rows on my multigym a cable snapped, sent me bouncing across the concrete floor on my arse, knocked the wind out me, thought I had broke my fucking back, crawled into the house looking for sympathy, collapsed in a heap on the kitchen floor still had the bar and snapped cable in my hand, off work for a week.They sent me a new cable though:cool:

The closet thing was when I was in Virginia and in California where actual houses are a bit pricey. The garage is currently the gym here as well.

Forum List

Back