GW Bush also tried tariffs....

I'm too tired to go into this, even though it's one of my favourite topics.

It's a different situation, GWB didn't have the courage to confront the beast, Trump hasn't succumbed to pressures from Big Business, and if he doesn't he can roast China in so many ways, absolutely crush their economy and set them back 15 years.

You see, the rest of the world has been reliant on China for cheap labor, but, far more importantly, they have relied on America for much of the R&D, AND for consumption. You see, cheap Chinese labor is easily replaced, in Vietnam, India, Bangledesh, wherever. Consumption cannot be replaced easily.

Let me put it this way, if America wants to go to an all out trade war and has a desire to win, they can easily win, they've been getting abused for decades and Trump more than anyone knows it. He's been stating this for a long time. In my estimation is that now is as good a time as any, especially since even many Americans who know they will pay a short term price are on board. I think this administration needs to spend some money on spreading the specifics.

Chinese dominance in theft of U.S jobs and manufacturing is so obvious that even with massive support for Chinas rise, Americans see the "Made in China" stamp on everything, and see their jobs lost. Imagine if there had been resistance and media coverage of this theft?

So have others..............who are unwilling to finish the fight................

China plays by the rules or we return fire.................how it should be.................

My interest is America..........don't really give a shit about a State Run Gov't.............

Eagle1462010 & JimH52, tariffs upon basic materials such as steel or aluminum rather than upon all goods or all finished goods, are particularly net detrimental to their own nation. Only prices to purchasers and possibly users of USA products requiring those materials are to be increased.
Tariffs have historically been more selective rather than generally levied upon all imported goods and have unforeseen net detrimental effects upon their own nation's economy. It's preferable that government have lesser opportunities to choose the favored or the unfavored. Tariffs upon only China means that we'll import goods from other lower-wage nations and continue to experience our chronic annual trade deficits of goods.

Annual trade deficits are always net detrimental to their nation's GDP and drag upon their numbers of jobs.

The policy described within Wikipedia's “Import Certificates” article would, if adopted by the USA, significantly if not entirely eliminate USA's chronic annual trade deficits of goods in a superior (to any other trade policies') manner. Import Certificate policy would more than otherwise increase USA's GDP and numbers of jobs. It also due to normal market behaviors, indirectly but effectively reduces prices of USA exported goods which would eventually increase our volumes of exported goods.
Respectfully, Supposn

Why would you care, Jim? It's not like it'll have any impact on your welfare check.

So have others..............who are unwilling to finish the fight................

China plays by the rules or we return fire.................how it should be.................

My interest is America..........don't really give a shit about a State Run Gov't.............

Eagle1462010 & JimH52, tariffs upon basic materials such as steel or aluminum rather than upon all goods or all finished goods, are particularly net detrimental to their own nation. Only prices to purchasers and possibly users of USA products requiring those materials are to be increased.
Tariffs have historically been more selective rather than generally levied upon all imported goods and have unforeseen net detrimental effects upon their own nation's economy. It's preferable that government have lesser opportunities to choose the favored or the unfavored. Tariffs upon only China means that we'll import goods from other lower-wage nations and continue to experience our chronic annual trade deficits of goods.

Annual trade deficits are always net detrimental to their nation's GDP and drag upon their numbers of jobs.

The policy described within Wikipedia's “Import Certificates” article would, if adopted by the USA, significantly if not entirely eliminate USA's chronic annual trade deficits of goods in a superior (to any other trade policies') manner. Import Certificate policy would more than otherwise increase USA's GDP and numbers of jobs. It also due to normal market behaviors, indirectly but effectively reduces prices of USA exported goods which would eventually increase our volumes of exported goods.
Respectfully, Supposn
Nice post and I respectfully disagree....................China has been abusing the system..............and the only way to stop that abuse is a tough stance.

Monopolization is their intent.................and they use many methods to drive the competition out of business...........When they finish off the competition who's to say they don't then jack up prices as they are the only supplier................No nation should be dependent on goods from another Nation when they can produce the product here..........And I consider some materials vital to our security such as steel and rare earth materials............

China wants it's cake and eat it too at the worlds expense...........someone has to make a stand against it.

trump will not even use US Steel in his hotels...the Orange Hypocrite....

...Monopolization is their intent...When they finish off the competition who's to say they don't then jack up prices as they are the only supplier...
...No nation should be dependent on goods from another Nation when they can produce the product here...
.......And I consider some materials vital to our security such as steel and rare earth materials............

China wants it's cake and eat it too at the worlds expense...........someone has to make a stand against it.
Eagle, I hope the U.S. Department of Defense is searching for a synthetic "rare earth or sources other than China.
I believe we should strongly strive not to be dependent on other nations for critical goods.
I too have written of USA dependence upon imports of items critical for national defense in particular. Production of some items requires revealing highly secret or confidential information to the production managers and their technical staffs.

During WW2 we risked many planes and actually lost substantial numbers of bomber and pursuit aircraft attacking very few German ball-bearing producer sites; (I believe a B17 bomber carried a crew of 10 airmen). The losses were justified because reducing that war production bottleneck substantially crippled German war production.

You can conceive what would occur if our Department of Defense needed something but the governments or the owners of the few foreign production sites that are our only sources of the critical item may determine they're absolutely opposed to USA's military actions being enacted just then?

Those that believe the reduction of USA manufacturing is of less consequences because it's all going to be robotics and that doesn't require many employees or USA's economy is primarily a service economy are talking nonsense. I discuss USA's costs per units of production in a thread entitled “USA's trade deficits of goods and costs per units”.

Respectfully, Supposn

...Monopolization is their intent...When they finish off the competition who's to say they don't then jack up prices as they are the only supplier...
...No nation should be dependent on goods from another Nation when they can produce the product here...
.......And I consider some materials vital to our security such as steel and rare earth materials............

Eagle, I hope the U.S. Department of Defense is searching for a synthetic "rare earth or sources other than China.
I believe we should strongly strive not to be dependent on other nations for critical goods.
I too have written of USA dependence upon imports of items critical for national defense in particular. Production of some items requires revealing highly secret or confidential information to the production managers and their technical staffs.

During WW2 we risked many planes and actually lost substantial numbers of bomber and pursuit aircraft attacking very few German ball-bearing producer sites; (I believe a B17 bomber carried a crew of 10 airmen). The losses were justified because reducing that war production bottleneck substantially crippled German war production.

You can conceive what would occur if our Department of Defense needed something but the governments or the owners of the few foreign production sites that are our only sources of the critical item may determine they're absolutely opposed to USA's military actions being enacted just then?

Those that believe the reduction of USA manufacturing is of less consequences because it's all going to be robotics and that doesn't require many employees or USA's economy is primarily a service economy are talking nonsense. I discuss USA's costs per units of production in a thread entitled “USA's trade deficits of goods and costs per units”.

Respectfully, Supposn
Why the US buys all its rare earth metals from China

Rare earth minerals, though not actually rare, have unique chemical properties that make them essential for wide-ranging technologies, including smartphones, hybrid cars and high-tech weapons. Two years ago, the only rare earth mine in the United States filed for bankruptcy protection. The ongoing dispute over control of that mine's assets, and thus the ore it produces, center on China's near monopoly over the rare earth element supply chain. Victoria Bruce is author of a new book on that topic called "Sellout: How Washington Gave Away America's Technological Soul, and One Man's Fight to Bring It Home." She talked with Marketplace host Kai Ryssdal about why Chinese companies dominate the supply chain for rare earth elements. Below is an edited transcript.

Revisiting Rare Earths: The Ongoing Efforts to Challenge China’s Monopoly

Your right.......it is a problem

Forum List

Back