Guy invents/sells Fox-Blocker

insein

Apr 10, 2004
Philadelphia, Amazing huh...
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2002220590_foxblocker26.html?syndication=rss

Device lets you out-Fox your TV

By Emily Fredrix

The Associated Press

/ AP

This device blocks the reception of the Fox News Channel.

E-mail article
Search Most e-mailed
Most read
RSS
It's not that Sam Kimery objects to the views expressed on Fox News Channel. The creator of the "Fox Blocker" contends the network is not news at all.

Kimery says he has sold about 100 of the little silver bits of metal that screw into the back of most televisions, allowing people to filter Fox News from their sets. The Tulsa, Okla., resident also has received thousands of e-mails, both angry and complimentary, as well as a few death threats since the device debuted in August.

"Apparently the making of terroristic threats against those who don't share your views is a high art form among a certain core audience," said Kimery, 45.

Formerly a registered Republican, even a precinct captain, Kimery became an independent in the 1990s when he said the state party stopped taking input from everyday members.

Sam Kimery is the creator of the "Fox Blocker."

Kimery now contends Fox News' top-level management dictates a conservative journalistic bias, that inaccuracies never are retracted, and what airs is more opinion than news.

"I might as well be reading tabloids out of the grocery store," he said. "Anything to get a rise out of the viewer and to reinforce certain retrograde notions."

A Fox spokeswoman at the station's New York headquarters said the channel's ratings speak for themselves. For the first three months of this year, Fox has averaged 1.62 million viewers in prime-time, compared with CNN's 805,000, according to Nielsen Media Research.

Kimery's motives go deeper than preventing people from watching the channel, which he acknowledges can be done without the Blocker. But he likens his device to burning a draft card, a tangible example of disagreement.

And he's taking this message to the network's advertisers. After buying the $8.95 device online, would-be blockers are shown a letter that they can send to advertisers via the Fox Blocker site.

"The point is not to block the channel or block free speech but to raise awareness," said Kimery, who works in the high-tech industry.

Kimery doesn't use the device; he occasionally feels the need to tune into Fox News for something "especially heinous."

Business could pick up since the blocker was alluded to in a recent episode of the ABC drama "Boston Legal." The show's original script mentioned Fox News, but ABC removed the references.

The boisterous conversations on Fox News may be why the station is so popular, said Matthew Felling, media director for the Center for Media and Public Affairs, a nonprofit, nonpartisan media watchdog group. And despite a perception that Fox leans to the right, Felling said, that doesn't mean people who lean left should tune out.

"It's tough to engage in an argument when you're not participating in it," Felling said. "It's just one more layer in the wall that the right and the left are building in between each other."

Someone needs to get a life.

lmfao

for free, you can block FOX using your cable box, how stupid.

or better yet, if you don't want to watch it, don't tune it. How ignorant can liberals be??

Do you not find it curious how there are supposedly so many "ex-republicans" yet you never hear of any "ex-democrats" in the MSM? Also, if this guy truly were a conservative at one time, does anybody really believe that he would give up his *core* beliefs because *somebody* in the party made him upset? If so, then he never really had any *core* beliefs to begin with. He is/was superficial as most democrats/liberals are.

I am starting to think this story is all bullshit. I did a google, msn and yahoo search for this guy's website and I cannot find it at all. Maybe I am not looking hard enough? I was gonna send him a "you are an idiot" email, but I can't find his site..... maybe I am doing something wrong? Or maybe.... this is just a MSM made up story.....

Well, there is one thing I can tell you.... he can't use the name <foxnewsblocker.com>! ;)

This is so funny because me friend and I just had a "discussion" about this. It went like this (paraphrased):

Him: "Fox is so biased."

Me: "Do you even watch it?"

"No"

"And you know its biased because..."

"Oh come on! Everyone knows its the Republican Channel"

"Okay, gimme an example"

"Their reporters slant the news and hide Iraqi death tolls, etc"

"But a specific example"

"Well..."

======================================================

His entire argument seemed to be that Fox is biased because it is, and no, you can't have an example, why would you even ask? This is why we don't talk politics much :)

Okay, I found their website.... it is <www.foxblocker.com>

I just sent them the following email....

Just curious....

Why lie? It is such BS to claim you were "once a conservative". You love the hype and you love the attention, just admit it. Sure, you'll make some money, but only off idiots. To get FNC, you must have cable. Every cable box (hell, even TV nowadays) lets you block channels without buying anything special. You're no worse than those damn conservatives you liberals always complain about as you are ripping off people to make a buck. Shame shame.....

Oh, wait, but then again, maybe you really are a conservative that just figured out how to rip-off some dumbass liberals.

From the site....

Help Expose Fox News....Buy Something!

And they claim they are not republicans.... lmfao. I bet ya anything these guys are GOPers that figured out how to milk the dumbass DNC'rs

They also sell a version that blocks out any channels with a liberal bias.....

it's about the size of 55 gallon drum. :)

$8.95???!!! I can beat that! I'll sell the libs a bucket of sand they can bury their heads in for $5 - and retire tomorrow!

This is so stupid on so many levels. Besides the fact that you can block any channel you want through your cable or by the settings on most televisions, it's seems a bit hypocritical. Liberals think it's fine to scream about censorship and freedom of speech when Howard Stern wants to drop an F bomb over the radio, but heaven forbid there's ONE news station that doesn't pander to the left.

Merlin1047 said:
I only have one problem with the Fox blocker - it's waaaay too cheap. Anyone so incredibly stupid as to buy something this idiotic will fork over $29.95 and think they're getting a deal.

All right, then - my bucket of sand is going up to three easy payments of $7.95 (plus s&h).

The inventor will probably find a customer in "Air America" as an advertising outlet.

Who else would even consider to carry or sponsor this very dumb product.

Of course I always knew that the liberals suffered from a form of brain damage. Maybe it's co-ordination, and they can't operate their TV remotes. Thence comes the saviour....with the Fox Blocker.

freeandfun1 said:
Do you not find it curious how there are supposedly so many "ex-republicans" yet you never hear of any "ex-democrats" in the MSM? Also, if this guy truly were a conservative at one time, does anybody really believe that he would give up his *core* beliefs because *somebody* in the party made him upset? If so, then he never really had any *core* beliefs to begin with. He is/was superficial as most democrats/liberals are.

Have you ever considered that the Republican party under neocon/religious right wing-nut guidance might has abandoned its "core" beliefs? Whatever happened to Federalism? Whatever happened to fiscal responsibility? Whatever happened to "less" government?

Under the current administration, states rights are becoming but a memory...Federal budget and foreign trade deficits are spiralling out of control...The size and instrusiveness of government has grown by leaps and bounds.

Perhaps this individual, and many others, have left the Republican party not because they are abandoning their values, but rather because their party has abandoned them.

Bullypulpit said:
Have you ever considered that the Republican party under neocon/religious right wing-nut guidance might has abandoned its "core" beliefs? Whatever happened to Federalism? Whatever happened to fiscal responsibility? Whatever happened to "less" government?

Under the current administration, states rights are becoming but a memory...Federal budget and foreign trade deficits are spiralling out of control...The size and instrusiveness of government has grown by leaps and bounds.

Perhaps this individual, and many others, have left the Republican party not because they are abandoning their values, but rather because their party has abandoned them.

Ronald Reagan, Zell Miller, just two people ... of many...who left the Democratic Party because of their shift to the extreme Left.

Is it any wonder that the Democrats lost this last election? Why? Because many people in the democratic party are starting to get the message.... the Democrats are not for the little guy any longer, and haven't been for a long, long time.

And how many left wing nuts are out there? Instead of taking orders from a an imaginary religious cabal, many Leftists are actually taking their orders from the Communist Party..... H. Rap Brown, Bobby Seal, Tom Hayden, Alger Hiss, Angela Davis, the SLA, the Black Panthers, the anti-war activists, the "free Mumia" crowd, Lynne Stewart, Ramsey Clarke to name a very few......

What about the democratic party abandoning it's core beliefs? The present day epidemic of AIDS, a result of democratic and gay extremist activism to prevent simple, common sense, time proven methods for confining epidemics. The break up of the family, again a result of the democrats, the trial lawyers (who have more money than Midas) and the feminists pressing for "no fault divorce", targetting fathers with liberal nut job judges. The sad state of our education system (especially black schools), the result of democrats selling out to the teachers' unions and obstructing any attempt by the Republicans to correct the situation. The democrats are the party of the rich..... how could it be otherwise? With donors like George Soros, Marc Rich, Bill Gates, Warren Buffet, most of the Hollywood gliterrati, the Park Avenue liberals how can the democratic party not be in the pocket of the rich? The two richest senators in Congress, Ted Kennedy and John F Kerry, both liberals, both democrat.

Do you honestly believe that these donors are giving money away so that their self interest can be attacked? If so, I have a bridge to sell you!

How many democratic senators, ex-presidents and so forth are rubbing elbows with communists dictators and despots? Jimmy Carter, John F. Kerry, Tom Haydn, Hillary Clinton. What party is the one that wants to turn our sovereignty to the United Nations? Not only has the democratic party sold out its constituency, it wants to sell out our country,too.

No, if anyone has sold out, it has been the Democrats. Your party sold out the Middle Class! Your party is working to subvert our way of life and our government.

Sir Evil said:
Hmmm, re-election has me believing a little different!

OK, for anyone interested I just invented the Bullyblocker! all you need to do is connect this little gadget to the back of your pc and "poof" no more Bully!
you can also just click the ignore button for free! :laugh:

So it's a "Bully $hit" blocker? :):):)

Bullypulpit said:

I'm not stating the party hasn't changed. What I am saying is that how do you go from being a republican to being a "democrat" if the party left you? You don't, because the democrats are no different. Also, I cannot see at all how he sees FOX as being a GOP mouthpiece. FOX has opened some pretty damaging stories on GOPers. The biggest being GW's DUI right before the 2000 election. He was way ahead in the polls until that story came out. Does FOX have a conservative slant? Sure if you consider financial shows and calling ALL politicos out on the carpet "conservative".

freeandfun1 said:
I'm not stating the party hasn't changed. What I am saying is that how do you go from being a republican to being a "democrat" if the party left you? You don't, because the democrats are no different. Also, I cannot see at all how he sees FOX as being a GOP mouthpiece. FOX has opened some pretty damaging stories on GOPers. The biggest being GW's DUI right before the 2000 election. He was way ahead in the polls until that story came out. Does FOX have a conservative slant? Sure if you consider financial shows and calling ALL politicos out on the carpet "conservative".

After thirty years of watching "journalists" whose honest reply to ANY question is, "It depends - which answer hurts Republicans?", I can see where Bully's perspective might get skewed. Anyone exhibiting an iota of journalistic objectivity must seem so "right-wing" by comparison to Dan Rather and Eason Jordan as to make any good little liberal soil himself.

Forum List

Back