Guten Tag from germany.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by TheThirdView, Dec 6, 2016.

1. Ancient lion

Ancient lion Thank your creator

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +254
    I understand your feelings but most Americans are European and they will be glad to join the United European Army too ..

Bleiben bei ihnen :lol:

2. TheThirdView

TheThirdView Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Maybe what you are saying is also because the election has become a thing of emotions. Both democrats and republicans have these heartbreaking ads, they have fancy music and even though the campaigning lasted for what felt like a decade, they still barely discussed issues. The TV Debates had maybe a combined set of 2 Minutes where they talked policy.

I also have a short question. How do I respond to multiple posts? Do I make several replys or do I put them into one?

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. OldLady

OldLady Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,532
    How do they get a majority to determine the winner? How do they decide who sides with whom to form the coalition? How do they select the "finalists" who run?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. TheThirdView

TheThirdView Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10
    So, we don't elect our Chancellor (head of government) directly. Instead we elect the partys and representatives.
    just like in the US we have several partys that are on the ballot. It can be more than 10 partys but there are just 6 that actually have a chance and are well-known (CDU, SPD, Grüne, Linke, FDP, AFD).

Now every party that get's more than 5% of the votes will go into the parliament with the amount of seats appropriate to their result. Then all the partys can talk with each other and try to form a coalition. If, for example, the CDU gains 40% of the seats and the Grüne gains 12% they could then make a coalition, since they have the majority. They then govern together. That's it in short form.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  5. Iceweasel

Iceweasel Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +33,194
    I think you answered your own question. With government power being fragmented into so many factions most people are not going to see their desires realized.

The two party system (we do have more but for all practical purposes only one of the two can win) works because each party is made up of a variety of voices, although the Democrats have been moving to a monochromatic tone, so the party is nudged in a direction rather than swift radical change that can throw things into chaos.

6. Iceweasel

Iceweasel Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +33,194
    Yep. I lived that way for 7 years there. Mainz, Bad Tolz, Wiesbaden, Auschanfenberg and a few others.

All education was done on base, not just high school. We seldom ventured off post but in Mainz my housing unit was near the edge and we became very acquainted with the local bakery, made many a run for Gummi Bears and brotchens.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. TheThirdView

TheThirdView Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Did you choose that place, can you influence where they station you?
    I hope you liked it, if you saw things outside the base..

8. Iceweasel

Iceweasel Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +33,194
    You can make requests then the military laughs and stations you where they want. My mother is German and we did go visit her family many times in Bavaria.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. frigidweirdo

frigidweirdo Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,432
    Yeah, emotion over reality seems to be the US way now.

I would reply to each person individually. It's easier. You can mix up the different quotes, but maybe better to tell people to read a previous post if you don't want to repeat, or copy and paste. It's not the easiest of formats here.

10. frigidweirdo

frigidweirdo Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,432
    The winner is whoever can make a coalition, basically. It forces cooperation between parties. Germany has had SPD+Greens, CDU/CSU+FPD and CDU/CSU+SPD in the past 20 years of coalitions.

For the president, in the French elections, they have one vote and anyone can run, then a second vote for the two who got the highest votes.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1