Guten Tag from germany.

TheThirdView

Rookie
Dec 6, 2016
Hey everyone,

I'm new to the forum and I thought the best way to start is by using this thread.
I'm a student of political sciences in germany and I am interested in american, european and worldwide politics. I don't affiliate myself with any particular party here, however in the US I would most likely be a democrat.
I try to base my political thoughts on pragmatic solutions and a personal and important concern for me is the support of scientific research.

My hope is to have some discussions and to learn more in depth about certain issues. I realized that throwing myself into a debate with someone challenges me to read up more facts and learn more about topics. And that's my main goal.

I also started doing a youtube channel () where I try my best to explain geopolitical situations. But don't worry, I am not gonna advertise on here. I just mention it so you get to know me.

See you all!

Hey everyone,

I'm new to the forum and I thought the best way to start is by using this thread.
I'm a student of political sciences in germany and I am interested in american, european and worldwide politics. I don't affiliate myself with any particular party here, however in the US I would most likely be a democrat.
I try to base my political thoughts on pragmatic solutions and a personal and important concern for me is the support of scientific research.

My hope is to have some discussions and to learn more in depth about certain issues. I realized that throwing myself into a debate with someone challenges me to read up more facts and learn more about topics. And that's my main goal.

I also started doing a youtube channel () where I try my best to explain geopolitical situations. But don't worry, I am not gonna advertise on here. I just mention it so you get to know me.

See you all!

Wie geht's?

You'll find a lot of insults here, don't get involved, just put the insulters on ignore. You'll see German politics is a little different even at the basic levels. I sort of studied politics in Germany, but didn't quite understand anything that was being said, but I've studied the German and US politic systems (the German is far superior).

You'll understand more by just seeing how strangely the though processes of many of the Americans are.

Good luck. You'll need it.

Vie gehts? You probably have a misconception of Democrats and Republicans or more accurately conservatives and liberals, the guiding principle of the respective parties.

I lived in Germany for 7 years, beautiful country.

If you're interested in facts, you're not a democrat.

Nor a Republican. Yes, those who play the partisan bullshit team sport game don't need facts, but any facts that do come their way that suit their needs they might use totally out of context or something.

Hey everyone,

See you all!

Wie geht's?

You'll find a lot of insults here, don't get involved, just put the insulters on ignore. You'll see German politics is a little different even at the basic levels. I sort of studied politics in Germany, but didn't quite understand anything that was being said, but I've studied the German and US politic systems (the German is far superior).

You'll understand more by just seeing how strangely the though processes of many of the Americans are.

Thanks for welcoming me!

What you said about the different systems. We discussed this a lot the last weeks here.
It's interesting that we in germany, a country that is compared to the USA relatively homogenous, have a consensus system, in which several partys form a coalition to make a government. And the US, which is a country with so many different groups and even different languages, has a two party system.
I guess it can be explained historically but I wonder if it's the best for the country. I also wonder wether a majoritarian system similiar to the US would work here in germany. Maybe it would get people more interested in politics. It's A vs B. Here many people lost interest in all the partys and coalitions and don't even go to vote. Which is sad.

Hey everyone,

See you all!

Wie geht's?

Thanks for welcoming me!

What you said about the different systems. We discussed this a lot the last weeks here.
It's interesting that we in germany, a country that is compared to the USA relatively homogenous, have a consensus system, in which several partys form a coalition to make a government. And the US, which is a country with so many different groups and even different languages, has a two party system.
I guess it can be explained historically but I wonder if it's the best for the country. I also wonder wether a majoritarian system similiar to the US would work here in germany. Maybe it would get people more interested in politics. It's A vs B. Here many people lost interest in all the partys and coalitions and don't even go to vote. Which is sad.

I think the German people's mindset is that govt is there to work for them. The US mindset is that govt is evil. The way govt has worked in the past probably leads to this mindset. But if you then tell them they should change, then they get entrenched and don't want to even consider it.

In the US so many people just feel like politics isn't about them, and it's not. It's not democracy, but they go around the world telling others to be democratic, it's ridiculous.

Tell us, do your solutions require mandatory compliance? Stated differently, is it true that the only way your political ideas can work is if all citizens...citizens that have not infringed on the rights of another...are forced to comply by armed government agents, the threat of incarceration, and forcible confiscation of wealth?

If yes, I pass on the notion that you know what's best for everyone.

Guten morgan and welcome to the forum :bye1:

How do you see US Military Bases in Germany ?

Hey everyone,

See you all!

Wie geht's?

Thanks for welcoming me!

Several parties forming coalitions sounds like a good idea--more ideas get incorporated, maybe, and less people feel left out? I can see it being overwhelming to some people, though. With the splits and disagreements within the two parties we have, and a relatively strong third party vote (it remains entirely insignificant, but it is rising all the time) maybe we will get to something similar before very long. I like the idea in theory, anyway.

Hey everyone,

See you all!

Wie geht's?

Thanks for welcoming me!

I think the German people's mindset is that govt is there to work for them. The US mindset is that govt is evil. The way govt has worked in the past probably leads to this mindset. But if you then tell them they should change, then they get entrenched and don't want to even consider it.

In the US so many people just feel like politics isn't about them, and it's not. It's not democracy, but they go around the world telling others to be democratic, it's ridiculous.

Yes that's a good point.
I do think that there are good politicians in the US though, on both sides. But the system is bigger than them.
Both the Sanders supporters and the Trump supporters were voting against lobbying and outside interests influencing the government. And apart from everything else you may think of either of them, I do think that corruption and especially lobbying is a huge problem.

Hey everyone,

See you all!

Wie geht's?

Thanks for welcoming me!

Several parties forming coalitions sounds like a good idea--more ideas get incorporated, maybe, and less people feel left out? I can see it being overwhelming to some people, though. With the splits and disagreements within the two parties we have, and a relatively strong third party vote (it remains entirely insignificant, but it is rising all the time) maybe we will get to something similar before very long. I like the idea in theory, anyway.

It works a lot better than the US system, that's for sure.

Guten morgan and welcome to the forum :bye1:

How do you see US Military Bases in Germany ?

I have a friend in Ramstein. He is german and just lives there but he has some american friends and so they can bring him into the base. He says it's really weird because the base also has a housing district, shops, a large wal-mart and even it's own high-school. So next to beeing a miilitary base it's more like an american city in the middle of germany.

From a political standpoint I am torn... I am a supporter of Nato with mixed feelings since the Kosovo-war. But I do support the original idea of the North-atlantic defense treaty. However I don't like that we are so dependant on american military.
Pragmatically my answer is that we need the bases right now and it's good they are there.
However in the future I hope we can reduce it and become more independant.
I am supporting the idea of a european army.

What do you think?

Hey everyone,

See you all!

Wie geht's?

Thanks for welcoming me!

Yes that's a good point.
I do think that there are good politicians in the US though, on both sides. But the system is bigger than them.
Both the Sanders supporters and the Trump supporters were voting against lobbying and outside interests influencing the government. And apart from everything else you may think of either of them, I do think that corruption and especially lobbying is a huge problem.

But the biggest problem is like Trump supporters. They were voting against something during the election, the election finishes, and all of sudden they're now all in favor of keeping it all. Why? Because they'll say ANYTHING as long as they get to win.

New Topics

Forum List

Back