Gunsmoke

Dennis Weaver was trying to quit smoking and someone showed him a rope trick, said whenever he got the urge to smoke, do the rope trick. He could be seen in some of the episodes doing the rope trick. It worked.

he also admitted during and after production he sometimes forgot to limp

"the rat run over the roof of the henhouse with a dab of raw liver in his mouth"

a festus line that is in several episodes.

ken curtis had a lisp when he was a boy. his teacher taught him that line, and he credited all the times he said it with correcting his speech.

Just for you:

Ken Curtis was a magnificent singer. I posted a couple of his YouTube songs in the Music forum a year or two ago. I remember him when I was a tad listening on the radio in the forties with the Sons of the Pioneers. They sung every week on the Roy Rogers show. Roy was also a member.

"the rat run over the roof of the henhouse with a dab of raw liver in his mouth"

ken curtis had a lisp when he was a boy. his teacher taught him that line, and he credited all the times he said it with correcting his speech.

Just for you:

good stuff
ken curtis was a crooner with tommy dorsey and was a member of the sons of the pioneers group before gunsmoke.
he was in several movies prior to gunsmoke as well.
he is also the only actor that had a regular role on gunsmoke that also apeared in 5 episodes before getting a permenant spot. He was 3 different characters besides festus., one notable one a womanizing dandy,

His womanizing dandy episode was creepy and smarmy. Gave me the willies. He was also a little smarmy in The Searchers. He was a talented actor.

the actual Front Street in Dodge City is only two blocks long. the whole town then was 8 blocks long by 4 blocks wide. for the time it was a metroplis in the west. by 1900 they even had two 4 story buildings.

The Hollywood Dodge City is pioneer town in Hollywood. Kansas doesn't even have hills in Ford County.

Just for you:

good stuff
ken curtis was a crooner with tommy dorsey and was a member of the sons of the pioneers group before gunsmoke.
he is also the only actor that had a regular role on gunsmoke that also apeared in 5 episodes before getting a permenant spot. He was 3 different characters besides festus., one notable one a womanizing dandy,

His womanizing dandy episode was creepy and smarmy. Gave me the willies. He was also a little smarmy in The Searchers. He was a talented actor.

my favorite movie that Ken Curtis apears in is Missouri Traveler, 1958.
it is in the public domain and available to stream or downliad free at archive.org

Just for you:

good stuff

my favorite movie that Ken Curtis apears in is Missouri Traveler, 1958.
it is in the public domain and available to stream or downliad free at archive.org

I've never seen it. Thank you.

Gunsmoke (1955-1975)

NAME DEATH AGE CAUSE BURIAL

Matt/James Arness June 3, 2011 88 Natural Cemetery

Chester/Dennis Weaver Feb. 24, 2006 81 Cancer Cremated

Doc/Milburn Stone June 12, 1980 75 Heart Cemetery

Kitty/Amanda Blake Aug. 16, 1989 60 AIDS Cremated

Festus/Ken Curtis April 28, 1991 74 Natural Cremated

Louie/James Nusser June 9, 1979 74 Heart Cemetery

Sam/Glenn Strange Sep. 20, 1973 74 Cancer Cemetery

I apologize that the formatting isn't the best - but the information is there.

Last edited:
I find it odd that actual native actors only show up in later seasons. before that the indians were white actors. leonard nimoy was an indian, and burt reynolds played a "halfbreed" named quint asper for two seasons.

Gunsmoke was a pretty caucasion set, while in the real Dodge City of that time there were not only plenty of actual 'indians', but lots of black freed slaves and mexican drovers. There were also many Irish.

Be that as it may, anybody that was anybody, and a lot that became somebody were on gunsmoke.It is where Bruce Dern proved he was a bad guy for example.

My most favorite singer is in the season twelve episode named The Returning and its his character who makes a huge difference near the end, I love my late beautiful precious Steve Sanders of the Oak Ridge Boys SO much!!!

God bless you and those who have loved him longer than me always!!!

Holly

Gunsmoke (1955-1975)

Wow, Miss Kitty died of AIDS? Wtf? :eek:

Gunsmoke (1955-1975)

Wow, Miss Kitty died of AIDS? Wtf? :eek:

Yes, as I recall. I've heard various stores.

Blake was a heavy cigarette smoker and had surgery for oral cancer in 1977. She became a supporter of the American Cancer Society and made fundraising appearances throughout the country. In 1984, she was the recipient of the society's annual Courage Award, which was presented to her by then U.S. President Ronald Reagan. Blake died at age 60 on August 16, 1989, at Mercy General Hospital in Sacramento, California. The popular media later widely reported that Blake's doctor claimed that she had actually died of AIDS. Her close friends have insisted that she was not a drug user or sexually promiscuous, and that she may have acquired the disease from a former husband.[9][10] Blake's official death certificate stated the cause of death as: "Cardio-pulmonary arrest due to liver failure and CMV Hepatitis".

Amanda Blake - Wikipedia

Forum List

Back