~Gunsmoke Actor Dies~

Dabs

~Unpredictable~
May 13, 2011
~Tennessee~
The old show Gunsmoke which ran for 20 years (wow!)- starred a giant of a man.
James Arness stood 6 feet 7 inches, and he passed away today at his home, from natural causes, he was 88 years old.
The Tv show also starred actor Dennis Weaver and actress Amanda Blake. James Arness played Marshall Matt Dillion, always trying to keep peace.

(I loathed the show myself, it was one of my Dad's favorites, and I always had to sit and watch) :(

Last edited:
He was also The Thing.

I did not know that Arness and Peter Graves were brothers.

If you see Battleground (a great WW II flick with Van Johnson) look carefully for James Arness in a small supporting role.

If you see Battleground (a great WW II flick with Van Johnson) look carefully for James Arness in a small supporting role.

I think I did hear that years back, but not sure from who, what or where. But that does ring a bell to me. Peter Graves was kind of tall, but not 6'7".

I didn't know that!

Gunsmoke, Have Gun Will Travel, and if we were really good we got to stay late (10:00PM) up and watch Sea hunt.

Ah. I remember those shows. Sigh. Memories.
We all got old. Now all we have on tv is crap.

I long for the old days. Sheesh. I sound like my mother.

I saw and interview many years ago where the producers of the TV show were discussing the actors.

They first ask John Wayne to play the part of Marshall Matt Dillon.

He turned them down because he was doing a movie but recommended a good friend of his named James Arness.

Last edited:
I saw and interview many years ago where the producers of the TV show were discussing the actors.

They first ask John Wayne to play the part of Marshall Matt Dillon.

He turned them down because he was doing a movie but recommended a good friend of his named James Arness.

And here is "The Duke" speaking to that...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHVSCribt3U]YouTube - ‪John Wayne Gunsmoke‬‏[/ame]

Peter Graves pushed his brother into acting and going to Hollywood after WWII. I loved watching Gunsmoke as a kid, although I only remember the last few years.

Ya know, I liked gunsmoke, but I couldn't stand Miss Kitty, so I didn't watch it much.

Ya know, I liked gunsmoke, but I couldn't stand Miss Kitty, so I didn't watch it much.

I was too young at the time to understand that Miss Kitty ran a whore house (or what a whore house even was for that matter).

I was too young at the time to understand that Miss Kitty ran a whore house (or what a whore house even was for that matter).

I know, I wasn't aware that was what it was either!
I only remember feeling sickened having to sit there and watch, and Gunsmoke was one of my Dad's favorite shows, and anything starring John Wayne.
And my Dad being the meanass he was, the only time I was allowed to watch Tv, was when he said, and then it was what he was watching. I think he liked to see me suffer. *sigh*

Jim Arness was one of the giants of TV

He has a great legacy...RIP

I know, I wasn't aware that was what it was either!
I only remember feeling sickened having to sit there and watch, and Gunsmoke was one of my Dad's favorite shows, and anything starring John Wayne.
And my Dad being the meanass he was, the only time I was allowed to watch Tv, was when he said, and then it was what he was watching. I think he liked to see me suffer. *sigh*

I'm sure that was it. Poor baby

Forum List

Back