CDZ Guns used to be allowed in schools, and no mass shootings, what happened?

Guns used to be allowed in schools

Way back in Junior High around the Kennedy/Johnson years we happened to take a class trip to a local museum. There on display was an old Flintlock (or something). The curator offered it to any of us boys who wanted to handle it and try it out. We all just looked at each other like :wtf: -- but then one kind of weird kid stepped forward to accept, and he was obviously into it.

Fast forward a few years to high school, still the '60s, and one morning there was a tremendous disturbance in this one spot with a crowd of students and teachers milling around to see what everybody else was there for. One of the teachers stood up and shrieked at the top of his voice "GO TO YOUR HOMEROOMS!! GET OUT!!". Turns out this same kid, who was so interested in the gun at the museum, had come to school armed to the teeth. He was stopped and suspended (or expelled, I forget which) before anything happened. We had no idea of the implications and just thought of it mostly as bizarre rather than a danger --- why would you bring guns to a school in the first place? It was so bizarre we didn't even report it to our parents, not knowing the implications.

But that was over fifty years ago. So don't give us this crapola that "guns used to be allowed in schools".

You would be wrong. I have spent many days in Grad school with colleagues who went to places like OSU and the University of Michigan and guns were allowed up until the 1960's or '70's. One friend who hailed from South Dakota told us about how they used to have a rack at the grade school he attended so they could store their .22's till they went home, and they would hunt their way home, so no, you are wrong. Guns did used to be allowed in schools.

Not in the real world where I was, nope. And as I described, when a gun-nut kid did that he was tossed out on his ass.

And we're not talking "grad school" or "universities" here. Yesterday/'s latest event was, as usual, a high school. Which is also what I described. Nice try but goalpost moving fails.

You forget that one of the schools was a grade school. Why do you insist on ignoring factual data? Granted it is hearsay so not admissible in Court, but it is accurate nonetheless.

Forum List

Back