Guns seized

Bigreb, this story is being followed closely here, and the Plain Dealer is being VERY circumspect about what it publishes. Rev. Henry is credited with being the leading force behind one of the city's largest homeless shelters, and has a wide and dedicated following.

But bigreb, the man was storing guns inside an unlocked car on the shelter's premises. When the police were done, they had collected over 200 weapons and almost 2,000 cases of ammunition. (Most of the guns and ammo were found at a farm, located away from the homeless shelter -- but some were found in and round the shelter.)

The police did a "pick up and hold for observation" on Rev. Henry, at the request of someone. A neighbor? A parishioner? A friend? A gun dealer? We don't know -- but whoever it was had concerns the cops felt were serious.

Even if the man is found sane, and I hope he is, storing weapons and ammo where the homeless can easily access them seems like an act that is not in keeping with his Lutheran faith or the neighborhood's well-being.

What would you have preferred the cops to do?

But bigreb, the man was storing guns inside an unlocked car on the shelter's premises. When the police were done, they had collected over 200 weapons and almost 2,000 cases of ammunition. (Most of the guns and ammo were found at a farm, located away from the homeless shelter -- but some were found in and round the shelter.)

Even if the man is found sane, and I hope he is, storing weapons and ammo where the homeless can easily access them seems like an act that is not in keeping with his Lutheran faith or the neighborhood's well-being.

You're saying two different things about what happen

Oh and I have way more ammo and far less guns than he does.

And another thing about him going to wal mart and buying ammo, how many wal marts do you know that sales ammo or guns after 10:00 pm? None of them do. So his friend lied when he said john henry went to wal mart aroun 9:00 and 10:00pm and hung around the store until 1:00 and 2:00am to buy ammo.

I dun own a gun, so I dun buy ammo. I doubt all Walmarts have the very same policies about ammo sales, and anyway, the article said that he TRIED to buy ammo after midnight. It is less clear if they sold him any.

This homeless shelter, you won't be surprised to learn, is inside a congested urban neighborhood, bigreb. I dun know if that describes your home but even if it does, apparently, your conduct has not created anxiety among your friends and neighbors.

If it did and they asked the cops to do a pick up and hold on you, yes, you would likely lose your guns at least temporarily, if they saw them.

Again, what would you ruther the cops do? Are you forgetting already that had someone alerted the cops in Scottsdale, Lougher would not have been free to shoot his victims? There has to be a way to address the threat of potentially violent mentally unstable people with guns, don't you agree?

If your concern is, a malicious neighbor could falsely report you to the cops and thereby prompt an unnecessary pick and hold for observation order, yes, that could happen. However, the law has various due process protections for you and it's likely you'd be released in 24 to 48 hours, and your guns would be returned.

I am to say the least a a little bit more than just PO'ed. I am still trying to find out why a man had his guns seized. The only thing I see is that the government thinks he had too many. If that's the case then the government has stepped over the line. If that's the case are you going to remain silent about it? This must be stop and it must be stop now. This should not be tolerated.

Rev. John Henry takes leave from post at St. Herman's after 230 guns seized | cleveland.com

Also Tuesday, police for the first time disclosed why they began investigating Henry.
Several weeks ago, officials said, an anonymous informant told a narcotics detective that a man claiming to be a priest had purchased multiple guns. After police identified the man as Henry, the detective's surveillance uncovered "strange and erratic" behavior, Harper said.
Henry tried at least once to use St. Herman's tax exemption when purchasing guns, but it is unknown if he succeeded, said Cleveland Safety Director Martin Flask. St. Herman's is operated by the Little Brothers of the Divine Compassion Inc., a registered nonprofit, records show.
On Jan. 28, police spotted weapons -- "in plain view" -- stored in an unlocked car parked near St. Herman's, which is located at Franklin Boulevard and West 44th Street. With Henry's consent, police later searched for and confiscated 80 guns and 874 boxes of ammunition.
An incident report describes the visit as a crisis intervention, which according to police policy must end with a psychiatric evaluation, hospital commitment or both. Henry, city officials confirmed Tuesday, voluntarily admitted himself to Lutheran Hospital for an evaluation.
On Friday, again with Henry's permission, police searched a farm that St. Herman's uses in Bloomfield Township, located about 15 miles north of Warren in Trumbull County. There, they found and confiscated 150 more guns and 1,314 additional boxes of ammunition, according to a second report.
Police allowed reporters to view the recovered firearms Tuesday afternoon. Handguns filled four milk crates. Rifles and shotguns filled three large white carts on wheels.
The guns included rifles with scopes and at least three assault weapons. Police described two of them as M4 assault rifles. Some of the guns appeared new, while others were old, battered with scratches in their wooden stocks. A few of the weapons appeared to be antiques.
Flask said that Cleveland officials know and respect that people have the right to purchase as many guns as they can afford. But Henry's behavior, he added, cried for more attention.
For example, Flask said, Henry went to a Walmart between 9 and 10 p.m. and hung around the store until between 1 and 2 a.m. before buying the guns and ammunition.
"This raised some fears that the purchases may have been for something other than a legitimate reason," Flask said. Rev. John Henry takes leave from post at St. Herman's after 230 guns seized | cleveland.com

Seems to me that They acted reasonably.

I dun own a gun, so I dun buy ammo. I doubt all Walmarts have the very same policies about ammo sales, and anyway, the article said that he TRIED to buy ammo after midnight. It is less clear if they sold him any.

This homeless shelter, you won't be surprised to learn, is inside a congested urban neighborhood, bigreb. I dun know if that describes your home but even if it does, apparently, your conduct has not created anxiety among your friends and neighbors.

If it did and they asked the cops to do a pick up and hold on you, yes, you would likely lose your guns at least temporarily, if they saw them.

Again, what would you ruther the cops do? Are you forgetting already that had someone alerted the cops in Scottsdale, Lougher would not have been free to shoot his victims? There has to be a way to address the threat of potentially violent mentally unstable people with guns, don't you agree?

If your concern is, a malicious neighbor could falsely report you to the cops and thereby prompt an unnecessary pick and hold for observation order, yes, that could happen. However, the law has various due process protections for you and it's likely you'd be released in 24 to 48 hours, and your guns would be returned.

I made a few calls and that store he went to does sell ammo 24 hours., But for the most part most walmarts have a cut off time.

If your concern is, a malicious neighbor could falsely report you to the cops and thereby prompt an unnecessary pick and hold for observation order, yes, that could happen. However, the law has various due process protections for you and it's likely you'd be released in 24 to 48 hours, and your guns would be returned

In the words of Ben Franklin and I will paraphrase
Damn safety when my freedoms are being taken away.

I am to say the least a a little bit more than just PO'ed. I am still trying to find out why a man had his guns seized. The only thing I see is that the government thinks he had too many. If that's the case then the government has stepped over the line. If that's the case are you going to remain silent about it? This must be stop and it must be stop now. This should not be tolerated.

Rev. John Henry takes leave from post at St. Herman's after 230 guns seized | cleveland.com

Also Tuesday, police for the first time disclosed why they began investigating Henry.
Several weeks ago, officials said, an anonymous informant told a narcotics detective that a man claiming to be a priest had purchased multiple guns. After police identified the man as Henry, the detective's surveillance uncovered "strange and erratic" behavior, Harper said.
Henry tried at least once to use St. Herman's tax exemption when purchasing guns, but it is unknown if he succeeded, said Cleveland Safety Director Martin Flask. St. Herman's is operated by the Little Brothers of the Divine Compassion Inc., a registered nonprofit, records show.
On Jan. 28, police spotted weapons -- "in plain view" -- stored in an unlocked car parked near St. Herman's, which is located at Franklin Boulevard and West 44th Street. With Henry's consent, police later searched for and confiscated 80 guns and 874 boxes of ammunition.
An incident report describes the visit as a crisis intervention, which according to police policy must end with a psychiatric evaluation, hospital commitment or both. Henry, city officials confirmed Tuesday, voluntarily admitted himself to Lutheran Hospital for an evaluation.
On Friday, again with Henry's permission, police searched a farm that St. Herman's uses in Bloomfield Township, located about 15 miles north of Warren in Trumbull County. There, they found and confiscated 150 more guns and 1,314 additional boxes of ammunition, according to a second report.
Police allowed reporters to view the recovered firearms Tuesday afternoon. Handguns filled four milk crates. Rifles and shotguns filled three large white carts on wheels.
The guns included rifles with scopes and at least three assault weapons. Police described two of them as M4 assault rifles. Some of the guns appeared new, while others were old, battered with scratches in their wooden stocks. A few of the weapons appeared to be antiques.
Flask said that Cleveland officials know and respect that people have the right to purchase as many guns as they can afford. But Henry's behavior, he added, cried for more attention.
For example, Flask said, Henry went to a Walmart between 9 and 10 p.m. and hung around the store until between 1 and 2 a.m. before buying the guns and ammunition.
"This raised some fears that the purchases may have been for something other than a legitimate reason," Flask said. Rev. John Henry takes leave from post at St. Herman's after 230 guns seized | cleveland.com

Being reasonable is ok until it's you who it effects.

bigrebnc wrote:

Bigreb, what would have wanted to see the cops do? This is actually quite a healthy debate, IMO. We have individual liberties in this country, and being mentally ill by itself is not a crime. Yet we can all see, some mentally ill people become violent.

When friends and family think that might could happen, how would you want the cops to respond?

bigrebnc wrote:

Bigreb, what would have wanted to see the cops do? This is actually quite a healthy debate, IMO. We have individual liberties in this country, and being mentally ill by itself is not a crime. Yet we can all see, some mentally ill people become violent.

When friends and family think that might could happen, how would you want the cops to respond?

Bigreb, what would have wanted to see the cops do? This is actually quite a healthy debate, IMO.

The cops should have done noting, but observed him. But as I said taking rights away from people is ok until it happens to you.

True...just like all lawyers are worthless till you need one...or cops are jack-booted thugs til you need one. And politicians are crooked, til they do something you like.

This is universal truth.

Discretionary confiscation is given to most law enforcement officers, behavior is normally the reason used,,, again at the discretion of the observing officer,, no legal enforcement offense was committed unless perjury was committed by the police, but the psych examination seems to have substantiated the complaint and confiscation.
Act loony and self righteous in front ot the wrong folks and you can be put away as a danger to the public and all your dangerous implements confiscated, including your neck tie, belt, nail clippers and shoe laces,, that's a law as I understand it.
Being politically incorrect is thought loony in many cases and what you say or transmit by any means can used against you.
Nearly all cops are fearful of guns,,, in other peoples hands,,, it's called a healthy paranoia in the cop biz..
Do you have access to the results of the psych eval?
How can you claim that anything has been substantiated?
:doubt:

Discretionary confiscation is given to most law enforcement officers, behavior is normally the reason used,,, again at the discretion of the observing officer,, no legal enforcement offense was committed unless perjury was committed by the police, but the psych examination seems to have substantiated the complaint and confiscation.
Act loony and self righteous in front ot the wrong folks and you can be put away as a danger to the public and all your dangerous implements confiscated, including your neck tie, belt, nail clippers and shoe laces,, that's a law as I understand it.
Being politically incorrect is thought loony in many cases and what you say or transmit by any means can used against you.
Nearly all cops are fearful of guns,,, in other peoples hands,,, it's called a healthy paranoia in the cop biz..
Do you have access to the results of the psych eval?
How can you claim that anything has been substantiated?
:doubt:

If he had not consented to be admitted for observation, he would be been involuntarialy admitted. He really had no choice.

bigrebnc wrote:

The cops should have done noting, but observed him. But as I said taking rights away from people is ok until it happens to you.

You know this is not realistic. The cops do not have that kind of manpower, and even if they did, do they observe him inside his house? Using some spy technique they have no warrant for?

I dun understand why you cannot balance the needs of his neighbors for safety against his rights to own guns and be left alone, and see that a 24 or 48 hr stay in a mental ward is not the most unreasonable of compromises, bigreb.

You are taking this 2nd Amendment thingie too far, I think.

How many times have most of us thought why didn't someone care enough to do something,,, someone did something.
Waiting for a mishap or crime to happen when all the indications except the overt act present should have some preventive action,,, the right to bear arms is not a right to act or be reckless,,,, in my opinion.
I Know people that I don't want to have guns, they almost certainly would hurt themselves or someone.

bigrebnc wrote:

You know this is not realistic. The cops do not have that kind of manpower, and even if they did, do they observe him inside his house? Using some spy technique they have no warrant for?

I dun understand why you cannot balance the needs of his neighbors for safety against his rights to own guns and be left alone, and see that a 24 or 48 hr stay in a mental ward is not the most unreasonable of compromises, bigreb.

You are taking this 2nd Amendment thingie too far, I think.

You are taking this 2nd Amendment thingie too far

I am tried of the government chipping away at the second amendment. The assulat weapons ban was an infringment, this proposed mag limit ban is an infringment, premits are an infringment.

I dun understand why you cannot balance the needs of his neighbors for safety against his rights to own guns and be left alone, and see that a 24 or 48 hr stay in a mental ward is not the most unreasonable of compromises,

What they used as examples of what they considered crazy most people do it. I have been to walmart and stayed in the store a couple of hours comparing prices before I made a purchase. I do not have that many weapons but I would love to have that many, however I know people who have twice that many weapons and at least 1000 rounds per weapons.

do they observe him inside his house?

outside the house

Using some spy technique they have no warrant for?

Thats not spying you are not invading his privacy when he is in public.

How many times have most of us thought why didn't someone care enough to do something,,, someone did something.
Waiting for a mishap or crime to happen when all the indications except the overt act present should have some preventive action,,, the right to bear arms is not a right to act or be reckless,,,, in my opinion.
I Know people that I don't want to have guns, they almost certainly would hurt themselves or someone.

Sure but who to sayone of your neighbors sees you do something they feel is strange and reports you, would it bother you?

Act loony and self righteous

That hasn't stop any liberals.

Sure but who to sayone of your neighbors sees you do something they feel is strange and reports you, would it bother you?

Bigreb, you are forgetting it was not Walmarts employees who called the cops. It was someone close enough to observe the Reverend fairly intimately and who knew about his ginormous stash of guns. If it comforts you any, "pick up and hold for observation" orders have been around since like 1900. There's nothing new here.

I think you're being petulant, to be honest. I just cannot see any rational argument against this law enforcement tool.

Of course....but if they report me for being strange and there is nothing strange for the cops to see......where is the problem?

Are you saying that everything about this guy was totally normal?

If I am made to feel unsafe or fearful for myself, my property or others well being and/or property I can in good conscientious act in defense of said same, as I am allowed in accordance to law,,, . If I make a false accusation there is a law to address that illegal infringement as a crime,,,, good intentions are not a strong defense.
The 2nd amendment was in my opinion meant to address a defense against foreign invasion, protection of self, property and prevent oppressive regimes, not for indiscriminate brandishing,,, observed brandishing in Texas can lead to confiscation of weapons and forfeiture of the legal right to carry license.
60 years ago the USMC taught me anyone with a weapon was a potential hazard to my well being,,, I can attest to the validity of the concept..

Last edited:
If I am made to feel unsafe or fearful for myself, my property or others well being and/or property I can in good conscientious act in defense of said same, as I am allowed in accordance to law,,, . If I make a false accusation there is a law to address that illegal infringement as a crime,,,, good intentions are not a strong defense.
The 2nd amendment was in my opinion meant to address a defense against foreign invasion, protection of self, property and prevent oppressive regimes, not for indiscriminate brandishing,,, observed brandishing in Texas can lead to confiscation of weapons and forfeiture of the legal right to carry license.
60 years ago the USMC taught me anyone with a weapon was a potential hazard to my well being,,, I can attest to the validity of the concept..

The founders intent was set in stone the second amendment is to be used against any opressive from of government including our own.

Forum List

Back