CDZ Guns and Suicide, why are they used to promote gun control?

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
The truth is.....countries in Europe, hailed for their gun control laws have higher rates of suicide than the United States...even with the access to guns that our people have. So, that being the case, guns are not the issue in suicide....even Japan, China and South Korea have higher suicide rates than we do and they have almost zero access to guns for law abiding citizens......

So....if guns are not the issue in suicide, why do those who advocate gun control continue to use suicide when they put a number to gun deaths. Suicide can obviously be done without guns.....

Suicide rates by country for 2013.....

http://www.newstalk.com/MAP:-Suicide-rates-around-the-world

The truth is.....countries in Europe, hailed for their gun control laws have higher rates of suicide than the United States...even with the access to guns that our people have. So, that being the case, guns are not the issue in suicide....even Japan, China and South Korea have higher suicide rates than we do and they have almost zero access to guns for law abiding citizens......

So....if guns are not the issue in suicide, why do those who advocate gun control continue to use suicide when they put a number to gun deaths. Suicide can obviously be done without guns.....

Suicide rates by country for 2013.....

Simple. it adds to the gun death numbers and pads the stats for gun control advocates.

Suicide should be legal. I have yet to hear of a person being tried and convicted of suicide.

From the link above....all of these countries, with stricter gun control than the United States all have higher suicide rates than we do......so how is it access to guns that is the issue...

these are rates for men committing suicide....since they are the most likely to use a gun.....and since I didn't want to also type the numbers for women...

2013:

France....24.7
Belgium..28.8
Austria...23.8
Finland..29
Germany..17.9
Ireland...19
Japan...36.2
New Zealand...18.1
Sweden...18.7
Switzerland...24.8
Hungary....40

United States....17.7

The United States is not even in the Top 10 with these countries.....all modern, western, except for Japan, countries with strict gun control....the kind of gun control the anti gunners here only dream about....yet they all have suicide rates higher than ours.....so why do anti gunners insist on using suicide when they discuss the gun issues.....

The reason....they need to pad their numbers for gun deaths...especially since the gun murder rate fell 49% as more Americans bought guns between the 1990s and 2016.....and the fact that the gun accidental death rate and the non fatal accident rate both went down, not up as more Americans bought guns....

Also...in 2014...the non gun suicide rate was higher than the gun suicide rate...another point that shows their argument is a weak one....

Guns make suicide more successful, and more tempting. This has been proven across the board. Pills don't work, guns do, in the vast majority of cases.

Blathering about the overall suicide rate is comparing apples to Volkswagens.

To more directly answer the thread title, suicide is a symptom of a disease. In most cases, that disease is Depression. Suicide is what happens when depression is fatal, and guns make suicide MUCH easier, more tempting, more successful. That, or they maim for life the person who wished to take their own life.

I get that there is an element of choice here that makes people think suicide should not be considered a "violent death" but the fact remains that it is. And it drops a grenade right in the middle of a family unit in almost every single case.

Guns make suicide more successful, and more tempting. This has been proven across the board. Pills don't work, guns do, in the vast majority of cases.

Did you even look at the suicide rates of all the European countries....and Japan....all have higher suicide rates and less access to guns ...... you don't know what you are talking about...

You obviously missed the actual facts....

2013:

France....24.7
Belgium..28.8
Austria...23.8
Finland..29
Germany..17.9
Ireland...19
Japan...36.2
New Zealand...18.1
Sweden...18.7
Switzerland...24.8
Hungary....40

United States....17.7

MOD EDIT: Oops I forgot I was in the CDZ...

Zippy-art-2-330x360.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Did you even look at the suicide rates of all the European countries....and Japan....all have higher suicide rates and less access to guns ...... you don't know what you are talking about...

You can't compare overall suicide rates to gun suicide rates. I've mentioned that before. There are different factors at play.

Also, did you know that gun-heavy states like Wyoming and Montana and Colorado have some of the highest U.S. suicide rates?

You can't compare overall suicide rates to gun suicide rates. I've mentioned that before. There are different factors at play.

Also, did you know that gun-heavy states like Wyoming and Montana and Colorado have some of the highest U.S. suicide rates?

And it has nothing to do with the guns.....as the facts from around the world show.....you can easily compare countries that have absolute gun control to the United States...and see, if you look.....that those countries have higher suicide rates...without guns...so guns are not the common denominator...which means they aren't the cause....or even the prime determinant of the success of the suicide attempt...

And it has nothing to do with the guns.....as the facts from around the world show.....you can easily compare countries that have absolute gun control to the United States...and see, if you look.....that those countries have higher suicide rates...without guns...so guns are not the common denominator...which means they aren't the cause....or even the prime determinant of the success of the suicide attempt...

It has a LOT to do with guns. I'm not saying guns make people depressed, but they lead to more SUCCESSFUL suicide attempts, and in many cases to suicide attempts that otherwise would not have been attempted. This is quantitatively proven.

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/magazine/guns-and-suicide/

It has a LOT to do with guns. I'm not saying guns make people depressed, but they lead to more SUCCESSFUL suicide attempts, and in many cases to suicide attempts that otherwise would not have been attempted. This is quantitatively proven.

Again....America..with 357-400 million guns...isn't even in the top 10 for suicide.....Japan...with almost zero access to guns for law abiding citizens out ranks everyone in suicide....so it has nothing to do with access to guns....

Again....America..with 357-400 million guns...isn't even in the top 10 for suicide.....Japan...with almost zero access to guns for law abiding citizens out ranks everyone in suicide....so it has nothing to do with access to guns....

I see you just want to spam the thread with the same data you've already presented and ignore any new arguments. Fine, but as usual, don't expect to be taken seriously.

I see you just want to spam the thread with the same data you've already presented and ignore any new arguments. Fine, but as usual, don't expect to be taken seriously.

The truth is the truth...ignoring the truth doesn't make it go away.....

Indeed, and the truth is that the presence of guns encourages suicide. Proven.

Not proven....you stating it especially shows that it isn't proven, given the number of countries with strict gun control and those with absolute gun control that have higher suicide rates.....your whole point is wrong....

Not proven....you stating it especially shows that it isn't proven, given the number of countries with strict gun control and those with absolute gun control that have higher suicide rates.....your whole point is wrong....

I'm not stating it. A Harvard study (along with many others) states it. And it's a big reason the Republicans, and their gun-manufacturer benefactors, don't want the CDC studying it.

Forum List

Back