Guns and mental illness ..where do you start

PTSD patients should not be able to purchase a firearm and likewise bi-polar patients. Anybody else?
Hey look! It’s the lifelong hunter, and 2A supporter! How’s dove season going for ya?!

So nobody seeks treatment in order to keep from getting a diagnosis that will deny them their right to protect themselves...and now you not only have PTSD and bi-polar sufferers with guns...but now they are undiagnosed and untreated.

Sounds a lot more dangerous to me.

So nobody seeks treatment in order to keep from getting a diagnosis that will deny them their right to protect themselves...and now you not only have PTSD and bi-polar sufferers with guns...but now they are undiagnosed and untreated.

It's a tricky path.

Mental illness, when TREATED is no more likely to produce violence then non-mentally ill.

You don't want mentally ill people to have weapons but neither do you want to discourage treatment.

PTSD patients should not be able to purchase a firearm and likewise bi-polar patients. Anybody else?

So every U.S. military service member should not be able to purchase a gun....except they should be able to use a gun to kill for this country?

That one might have been diagnosed with a mental illness and is undergoing treatment alone doesn’t render that individual a prohibited person.

Only after a judge has ruled that such an individual is a danger to himself and others would he be prohibited from purchasing a firearm.

Hey look! It’s the lifelong hunter, and 2A supporter! How’s dove season going for ya?!
Heard a couple of quick shots yesterday but that's it. I'm munching on a nice strip of last year's venison jerky. I wonder how a dime sized strip of dove jerky would taste. Maybe the lead shot gives it flavor.

Last edited:
Only after someone has been adjudicated mentally ill and afforded comprehensive due process.
Would court ordered mental health counseling be considered an adjudication? The Va. Tech shooter was ordered to attend mental health counseling but it didn't show up on the instant name check. If someone applies for and receives a pension for mental illness isn't that an adjudication of sorts?

People who are at risk for shooting up a mall should be put behind bars before they do it.
It has nothing to do with the rest of us having guns.

People who are at risk for shooting up a mall should be put behind bars before they do it.
It has nothing to do with the rest of us having guns.
You can't put people behind bars because you think they might shoot up a mall but you can keep them from purchasing firearms if it is proved that they are mentally unstable. Look up the symptoms of PTSD and bi-polar affliction. It's ironic that everyone wants to keep guns out of the hands of crazy people but it seems that nobody wants to do anything about it.

How long can (mostly) lefties get away with attacking the NRA while doing nothing about crazy people and guns?

Forum List

Back