"Gunny" R. Lee Ermey has died

His role in FMJ was a bit over done but it was damn close to what I remember about Parris Island circa 1960 complete with the barracks that looked like 3rd Bn. MCRD. My second favorite role was in the movie "Siege at Firebase Gloria". He had a short lived series about military stuff on cable. Ermey was one of the old school genuine Marine characters. God Bless.

Full Metal Jacket is all I know him from to be honest, but it was an extremely powerful movie at the time in my youth, and one I never forgot. In all of the intense scenes and acting, he was head and shoulders the most memorable in the movie. I still remember some of his lines in the barracks when he was reaming out the troops and I haven't seen the movie since I was a kid!

R.I.P

"Ermey was the real deal. The knowledge of him passing brings back wonderful memories of our time together." - Vincent D'Onofrio

Originally, Kubrick hired Ermy only as an adviser and didn't have him cast in the movie. During an early run through Ermy stepped in as Gunny and warned the actors that he was going to abuse them and that they shouldn't take it personally. Kubrick loved what he saw so much that he moved the actor originally cast as Gunny Hartmann to a smaller role in the film so that R Lee could have the role of a lifetime.

What is your major malfunction numbnuts?!

The recruit training depicted in FMJ still gives me PTSD nightmares. Parris Island was as tough as it gets in anyone's lifetime and it literally turns kids into men if they can take it. It changed my life.

images (28).jpeg

I sure as hell will.

RIP.

In late November 1969 I joined the Navy and was sitting with a few dozen other future Navy recruits in a large room at the Navy/Marine Corps recruiting center in El Paso. At one point a Marine recruiter came out and said in a booming voice, "We're not making our quota this month, so seven of you will come into the Marines."

-Dead silence- :eusa_shifty:

Of course the whole thing was a joke, God knows how many times the recruiters pulled it, but "Hotel Sierra!"

Last edited:
You can laugh about in your old age but I can look back and say my first day on Parris Island as a stupid 19 year old kid in the early 60's was the worst day of my life. Try listening to rhetoric by Drill Instructors like Ermey's character day and night for three months. It makes you proud don't it?

For you Old Fukkers, he is the one Jack Webb was portraying in "The D. I." But Gunny was the real deal.

Actor? I don't think so.

Forum List

Back