Gunbattles break out in Beirut

Gunny

Gold Member
Dec 27, 2004
The Republic of Texas
BEIRUT, Lebanon (CNN) -- Gunfire broke out in downtown Beirut on Thursday after Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah said recent government actions amount to "a declaration of open war."

There are reports of open street battles in at least one neighborhood. Video showed people throwing stones at each other, as Lebanese soldiers used tear gas to disperse the crowds.

The violence is limited to Beirut's Shiite and Sunni neighborhoods and has continued into the evening hours.

Shortly after Nasrallah's speech, CNN's Cal Perry reported from Sodeco Square in downtown Beirut during an intense gun battle.

"Just in the past few minutes ... things have gotten a lot worse," he said, taking cover with the Lebanese army. He said government forces have not reacted to the violence.

more ... http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/meast/05/08/lebanon.hezbollah/index.html

Yep, fine upstanding citizens those Hezbollah folks ... always helping out in the 'hood.:rolleyes:

What I want to know is why is the media down-palying this? Both sides in this "gunbattle" have declared this to be a war. I mean it isnt like the media cant wait to cry for blood at any given moment. So why are they quelling their rabid tongues this time?

What I want to know is why is the media down-palying this? Both sides in this "gunbattle" have declared this to be a war. I mean it isnt like the media cant wait to cry for blood at any given moment. So why are they quelling their rabid tongues this time?

This is a terrorist militia, manned, funded and supported by Iran that is taking over a weak country. I believe when us "evil" Westerners did it it was called colonization by force, ruthless agression, etc, etc.

But it's okay if Iran does it. They set up Capone soup kitchens.:rolleyes:

It's time to napalm Beirut and turn it into a parking lot. That might solve the problem.

Forum List

Back