Gun to your head, what do you choose?

How do you fix this budgetary disaster?

• Tax the private sector and support public workers increasing unemployment?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Big Fitz

User Quit *****
Nov 23, 2009
Okay, here's the situation. Your state is essentially broke, or will be broke inside of months. Your private sector has been declining rapidly due to the internet killing the paper industry, auto industry shut downs and high taxation driving businesses out of your state. You are faced with a huge budget shortfall and have no where left to cut but public sector jobs. This is your only rational option that will not induce a taxation/revenue death spiral.

How do you fix this issue?

You make the cuts. Or, you tell the public sector to choose cuts or loss of jobs. Either way works. The ones left do work harder though.

Cut any non-essential Public Sector worker you can and double down on education and infrastructure. Right now a state's best shot at drawing in business is a highly educated work force combined with tax breaks and a solid infrastructure to facilitate trade.

That, and take the matter to your people and help them understand that it may be unavoidable to run a deficit until things turn around. Taking a fire ax to anything means that when things do turn around, you won't have the workforce or the infrastructure to actually participate in whatever the new economy is based on.

Okay, here's the situation. Your state is essentially broke, or will be broke inside of months. Your private sector has been declining rapidly due to the internet killing the paper industry, auto industry shut downs and high taxation driving businesses out of your state. You are faced with a huge budget shortfall and have no where left to cut but public sector jobs. This is your only rational option that will not induce a taxation/revenue death spiral.

Ask for The CORPORATE-OPTION!!!!

"Such agreements are routine for top executives, partly as a way to ensure they don't work against a potentially beneficial merger simply because it may put their jobs at risk."

Ask for The CORPORATE-OPTION!!!!

"Such agreements are routine for top executives, partly as a way to ensure they don't work against a potentially beneficial merger simply because it may put their jobs at risk."

So... tax corporations out of existence raising joblessness as they leave? Vote for it then.

Its a no brainer.

Do what many businesses do.

Tell your emplyees you need to make some adjustments in operating expenses and let them vote to the cuts in income and entitlements, or a cut in the size of the workforce.

or..

You can tax the private sector and make the businesses ultimately offer the same choice to their emplyees.

However, the state cant pick up roots and move to another state to operate. The private sector businesses can if they are taxed too high.

A combination of the first two. Public employee levels are too high, and the compensation benefits are excessive. Workers in the private sector should not be taxed to support either.

Cut any non-essential Public Sector worker you can and double down on education and infrastructure. Right now a state's best shot at drawing in business is a highly educated work force combined with tax breaks and a solid infrastructure to facilitate trade.

That, and take the matter to your people and help them understand that it may be unavoidable to run a deficit until things turn around. Taking a fire ax to anything means that when things do turn around, you won't have the workforce or the infrastructure to actually participate in whatever the new economy is based on.

A states best shot at drawing business is High Education so we should spend more on education. I have heard that same bullshit come from Presidents and Politicians for the last thirty years.

We do not need more education, we need less tax and cheap energy, we need a government that can not change on the whim of liberal or conservative leaders.

Yes, the people who have developed the world, made cars, computers, televisions, we have all been forced to forfeit our industry and for the last thirty years each time the economy falls do to the lost of industry we are told we are not smart enough and need more education, that our schools have failed us or some other pure Bullshit.

Cut tax, cut the cost of doing business to nothing and bring our jobs back. I want a job stuffing Televisions in a box, that is all I want to do or capable of.

I don't need more education, I need a lousy job, I need to work in a steel mill, I need to pick up the metal scraps from a two story tall milling machine fabricating a 100 ton head to a nuclear reactor.

The last thing we need is more education and research to find jobs. That is the most tired excuse fed to us by politicians and corporations that look to make themselves rich in the shortest amount of time possible, even if that means dumping toxic chemicals in China.

Yea, watch that dumb asses start blaming the political parties and not the politicians.

No education. At best we need one engineer to every ten people who pack the boxes and sweep the floors.

More spending on education doesn't mean more education, it just means that education is More Expensive than it was before.

Just sayin'.

"Gun to your head" is a poor metaphor. In fact it's downright insulting. The private sector is in trouble and the unions are sucking us dry with their constant demands. Teachers and other spoiled public workers need to be reasonable and take a cut in their benefits just like everyone else.

Re incorporate your state in China. Abandon all facilities. Then send Chinese that will work for 50 cents a day back over to run all services.

"Gun to your head" is a poor metaphor. In fact it's downright insulting. The private sector is in trouble and the unions are sucking us dry with their constant demands. Teachers and other spoiled public workers need to be reasonable and take a cut in their benefits just like everyone else.
You're kidding right? Your issue is with a common colloquialism depicting a critical 'life or death' choice?

Being restircted to only having a Cost of Living raise, that has got to be tough on these administrators that are huge part of the problem within the Public School System.

Yes, if cost of living rises 8% they automatically get an 8% raise, so the cut they do not want to lose is not a cut, if they get a raise they got a raise but they speak of this as a cut.

If the people demanding benefits from someone else can not even be honest, I say fire them all and privatize schools.

First, I would eat a delicious cheeseburger. Second, I would consider whether the public sector employees are overpaid. If they are, I'd cut their pay. If they're not, I lay some off. It's not good to pay them less than they're worth, if I can help it, because then I'd lose the good employees to the private sector. But I think many government employees are overpaid--there's no reason they should be paid more than private sector employees--so the first thing I'd look into is cutting their pay.

Forum List

Back